Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 11, 17, 12:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: aschuett
Wiki Link
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
  • N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
  • O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
  • Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations


Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jul 17, 12, 7:19 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hunter Valley, Australia
Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Posts: 39
I have AA award flight (booking class U) SYD-NRT for September and was able to book seats as soon as ticket was confirmed (last November). I did need to ring JL and quote my AA PNR to retrieve my JL PNR. After that online seat allocation was perfect.
Granlor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:28 pm
  #17  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,723
Originally Posted by grussellt View Post
I have AA award flight (booking class U) SYD-NRT for September and was able to book seats as soon as ticket was confirmed (last November). I did need to ring JL and quote my AA PNR to retrieve my JL PNR. After that online seat allocation was perfect.
U is eligible for advanced seat selection
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 12, 11:49 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Posts: 2,551
I have an AA booked award on JL from CTS to HND.

When I go to the website, I enter all the info and it seems to recognize my reservation. It then asks me to hit the button to select the reservation for more details and, when I do that, I get an error message

I'm not so concerned about seat selection (I figure on a domestic 777 for a short flight, it'll be lousy no matter what I select). I just like to view my reservation and make sure all is in order.

Any thoughts?
OskiBear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 12, 1:41 pm
  #19  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,723
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
I have an AA booked award on JL from CTS to HND.

When I go to the website, I enter all the info and it seems to recognize my reservation. It then asks me to hit the button to select the reservation for more details and, when I do that, I get an error message

I'm not so concerned about seat selection (I figure on a domestic 777 for a short flight, it'll be lousy no matter what I select). I just like to view my reservation and make sure all is in order.

Any thoughts?
Domestic flights' seats aren't open for selection till 2-2.5 months before departure
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 12, 6:50 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Posts: 3,119
My wife and son recently flew JL from Japan to the US on AA-issued tickets with AA flight numbers. Could not select seats on either the JL or AA websites, but one phone call to AA was all it took to get the seats we wanted. JL phone reps said that they could not touch a reservation that was made through AA. FWIW, these tickets were paid business class in the deepest discount category (requiring 21 day advance purchase). Not sure what the booking code was (maybe D?)
Unimatrix One is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 12, 3:21 pm
  #21  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,723
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One View Post
My wife and son recently flew JL from Japan to the US on AA-issued tickets with AA flight numbers. Could not select seats on either the JL or AA websites, but one phone call to AA was all it took to get the seats we wanted. JL phone reps said that they could not touch a reservation that was made through AA. FWIW, these tickets were paid business class in the deepest discount category (requiring 21 day advance purchase). Not sure what the booking code was (maybe D?)
Maybe booked in I? The problem might be caused by the AA coded JL flights. If it is a JL coded flight, you should be able to select it via JAL website.
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 12:49 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ORD, SJD, VNO, sandy places
Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Posts: 449
I also booked an 'old mile' upgrade Econ>biz ORD>NRT ongoing NRT>BKK RT...
After flying in Biz the 6 hr connecting flight NRT>BKK will be in econ code N...code K returning. Realize that I cannot chose my seats until 72 hr prior to departure, noticed that the BKK>NRT has been selected...but not the outbound to BKK...on a recent Finnair flight I was given the option to purchase an upgrade to exit row seating, much appreciated !
So far, I cannot find an equivalent option with JAL ? is there one ???
aafreq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 12, 9:45 am
  #23  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,723
Originally Posted by aafreq View Post
I also booked an 'old mile' upgrade Econ>biz ORD>NRT ongoing NRT>BKK RT...
After flying in Biz the 6 hr connecting flight NRT>BKK will be in econ code N...code K returning. Realize that I cannot chose my seats until 72 hr prior to departure, noticed that the BKK>NRT has been selected...but not the outbound to BKK...on a recent Finnair flight I was given the option to purchase an upgrade to exit row seating, much appreciated !
So far, I cannot find an equivalent option with JAL ? is there one ???
JAL currently does not offer an option to purchase extra legroom seats.
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 12, 6:35 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One View Post
My wife and son recently flew JL from Japan to the US on AA-issued tickets with AA flight numbers. Could not select seats on either the JL or AA websites, but one phone call to AA was all it took to get the seats we wanted. JL phone reps said that they could not touch a reservation that was made through AA. FWIW, these tickets were paid business class in the deepest discount category (requiring 21 day advance purchase). Not sure what the booking code was (maybe D?)
I'm in a similar situation.

Booked for a JAL Codeshare via AA.

I called AA and they said they couldn't assign seats since it's a codeshare.

I called JAL and they told me they can't touch reservations made by AA.

Also read on JAL's website about the 3-day advance seat selection - but if AA can't get me a seat and JAL can't touch my reservation - do I just get to wait until I check in to see what's left over?

I'm on a L (Government/Military class) ticket.

I even tried to call up my reservation on JAL and their system can't find me - of course it doesn't help that the 2 people I've spoke to at AA told me that my PNR "should be" the same for the JAL flight.
drakkenkorin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 12, 6:42 am
  #25  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,723
Originally Posted by drakkenkorin View Post
I'm in a similar situation.

Booked for a JAL Codeshare via AA.

I called AA and they said they couldn't assign seats since it's a codeshare.

I called JAL and they told me they can't touch reservations made by AA.

Also read on JAL's website about the 3-day advance seat selection - but if AA can't get me a seat and JAL can't touch my reservation - do I just get to wait until I check in to see what's left over?

I'm on a L (Government/Military class) ticket.

I even tried to call up my reservation on JAL and their system can't find me - of course it doesn't help that the 2 people I've spoke to at AA told me that my PNR "should be" the same for the JAL flight.
Welcome to the JAL forum and FT, drakkenkorin!

Can you ask JAL to look up for your PNR with you AA-issued e-ticket number? I would be a bit worry if JAL said they couldn't locate your record.
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 12, 5:27 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Welcome to the JAL forum and FT, drakkenkorin!

Can you ask JAL to look up for your PNR with you AA-issued e-ticket number? I would be a bit worry if JAL said they couldn't locate your record.
When I rang them up, the agent was able to see my reservation, but she told me that since it was booked through AA, they are unable to make any changes to it. But she was able to see it.
drakkenkorin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 12, 5:36 am
  #27  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,723
Originally Posted by drakkenkorin View Post
When I rang them up, the agent was able to see my reservation, but she told me that since it was booked through AA, they are unable to make any changes to it. But she was able to see it.
You should ask her for your JAL PNR. With that you might be able to assign seats on JAL website.
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 12, 9:00 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ORD, SJD, VNO, sandy places
Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Posts: 449
Just recently I thought that I 'saw' JAL will be providing 'extra legroom' seating on some flights...
"JAL currently does not offer an option to purchase extra legroom seats."

Any truth to this rumor ?
aafreq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 12, 11:01 pm
  #29  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,723
Originally Posted by aafreq View Post
Just recently I thought that I 'saw' JAL will be providing 'extra legroom' seating on some flights...
"JAL currently does not offer an option to purchase extra legroom seats."

Any truth to this rumor ?
JAL has premium economy services on select international routes but those are completely different products. There are seats in Y with extra legrooms such as exit rows and bulkheads but JAL does not offer the option to pre-select these seats with a surcharge
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 12, 12:13 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: BUE
Programs: AA GLD, UA, AR
Posts: 50
i am about to change my HND-JFK award ticket for NRT-BOS-JFK, so i can travel a little bit later and also try the fabulous 787 , am i going to be able to select seats in advance for the NRT-BOS leg if i get my JAL PNR?
AA956 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: