Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:23 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Award tickets are generally not an issue as they are on the native JL number.
True, this was likely the incorrect thread for this data point...
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:58 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Award tickets are generally not an issue as they are on the native JL number.
And this thread is about codeshare ticket not award
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
If you booked a pure JL flight number (eg. JL 123) via AA, you can get the JL (Amadeus) record locator simply by asking the AAgent on the phone.

If you are booked on an AA codeshre flight number (eg. AA8123 operated by JL), nothing will show in AA's system. As such, you will have to ask JL for the actual Amadeus record locator by telling them "I am booked on JL 123 [you will need to give them the pure JL flight number as opposed the AA flight number], my name is XXXX and my date of travel is such and such...".
Tried to call JAL call center both yesterday and today but wait was too long and could not get through! Will try again tomorrow morning. (Maybe the UK call center instead)

Also - I tried to QR eticket workaround suggested, but as others have pointed out, it does not work for AA/JL codeshares.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:02 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Tried to call JAL call center both yesterday and today but wait was too long and could not get through! Will try again tomorrow morning. (Maybe the UK call center instead)

Also - I tried to QR eticket workaround suggested, but as others have pointed out, it does not work for AA/JL codeshares.
Don’t waste your time. You need to deal with AA for seat assignment.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:57 am

Had the same issue with my BA codeshare flight. JL refuse to give me a window seat in business as I booked through BA. They did assign me an aisle seat over the phone though. I even offered to pay extra but they wouldn't have it. Only way to get a window seat is to get lucky when online check-in opens or have status. So frustrating. It seems nobody on the internet has been able to circumvent this ridiculous rule.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
Don’t waste your time. You need to deal with AA for seat assignment.
Called AA call center today. No wait! and I now have my window seats. A lot more painless than waiting for JL to pick up the phone. Yay!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Out of curiousity, does any one have experience with AA/BA codeshares? That should be the same system bridge.
IME, getting seat assignments on an AA or BA codeshare (when operated by the other carrier) have been among the smoothest of all codeshares that I've encountered.

For a BA operated/AA marketed flight, I just call AA to get the BA record locator, which then allows me to go to the BA website to select seats. Done it many times without issue, in both Y & J.

I've only done it once or twice the other way around (BA marketed/AA operated), and I remember the process was similar as above (with carriers switched).
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by econ
IME, getting seat assignments on an AA or BA codeshare (when operated by the other carrier) have been among the smoothest of all codeshares that I've encountered.

For a BA operated/AA marketed flight, I just call AA to get the BA record locator, which then allows me to go to the BA website to select seats. Done it many times without issue, in both Y & J.

I've only done it once or twice the other way around (BA marketed/AA operated), and I remember the process was similar as above (with carriers switched).
I'm not sure how having to call AA then go to BA website is smoother than just calling AA and getting the seat assignment.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by sassysan
I'm not sure how having to call AA then go to BA website is smoother than just calling AA and getting the seat assignment.
Sometimes they'll offer to select seats for me when I call AA, which is fine. If there's a certain seat that I'm after (e.g. 62A/K in 747 CW) and they can grab it, then great.

But if not, then I just prefer selecting seats while looking at a seat map, rather than going back and forth with an agent on what seats are available.

It also helps if a better seat becomes available later on, where I can just go online and make the change instead of calling up AA again.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
I have an upcoming J itinerary with some AA-marketed, JAL-operated segments in the middle of it.
  • JAL said to call AA, so I did and booked seats. AA.com shows them.
  • I noticed on ExpertFlyer that those seats are still...open.
  • I call JAL, who patches in an AA agent in a 3-way call. AA says we have seats. JAL agent says we do not (but refuses to help). The JAL agent asks the AA agent to drop off of the call and then proceeded to bad mouth AA for not being "helpful" ( codeshares are a mess, but *maybe* JAL could be a little more helpful here).
I have not been able to figure out how to take my AA-provided JAL confirmation number to manage my booking (using any flight segment, marketed or operating flight number, or combinations of pax names).

Is there a way for me to get AA's computers to push the seat assignment request again to JAL? As far as I'm concerned, this is an atrocious experience for paid J (plus OWE).
Same here, paid business class ticket (SIN-NRT-LAX-LAS return), ticketed by AA with AA flight number (operated by JAL for SIN-NRT-LAX legs) and OWE.
- I have Amadeus PNR but unable to "manage my booking" on JAL website (error message/ booking can't be found)
- Travel agent tells me they cannot assign seats on JL operated segments (4 out of 6 segments in the booking)
- JL tells me it's an AA ticket and AA should assign the seats
- AA customer service tells me that only full fare business class tickets (J booking class) AND OWS/OWE status are required to get seat pre-assignment on JL code-share...
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, OnBusiness, Eurostar C.Blanche
Ok I need some help here

- Award ticket
- HKG-HND-HKG / B772
- 2 pax - 1 OWE 1 OWS
- Logged in using JL flight #s and AMA PNR
- Selected 1A/2A - all good for about a month.

Now found out that I got kicked out of those seats and moved to 3D/G
Expertflyer shows my previously selected 1A/2A as blocked. I assume for OWE? Which I am!

call JL?
or is there another trick?

will JL unblock seats and reserve those as I am OWE or is that not an official rule?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Turboprince
Ok I need some help here

- Award ticket
- HKG-HND-HKG / B772
- 2 pax - 1 OWE 1 OWS

Expertflyer shows my previously selected 1A/2A as blocked. I assume for OWE? Which I am!

call JL?

will JL unblock seats and reserve those as I am OWE or is that not an official rule?
I don't think award bookings should be able to select those seats. But I could be wrong.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Turboprince
Ok I need some help here

- Award ticket
- HKG-HND-HKG / B772
- 2 pax - 1 OWE 1 OWS

call JL?

wrong thread. you already asked elsewhere and it is answered there.
this thread is about Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare. Yours is not a codeshare.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Looking at booking an AA/JL itinerary in discount business class. Same price on either carrier's stock. Sounds like I should book through JL if I want seat assignments on the JL segments (3 of 4)? Will I have trouble getting an advance seat on the AA operated segment from AA? I'm EXP.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Looking at booking an AA/JL itinerary in discount business class. Same price on either carrier's stock. Sounds like I should book through JL if I want seat assignments on the JL segments (3 of 4)? Will I have trouble getting an advance seat on the AA operated segment from AA? I'm EXP.
I have never had problems getting seats on a JL coded AA flight, JAL allows me to pick AA allows me to pick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.