Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They are blocked for awards in general (also JL), unless you have OWS or OWE status.
Do they open these seats for selection at any point before departure?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Do they open these seats for selection at any point before departure?
Nominally at OLCI, although there may be some seats held back for airport control.

You might keep checking a few days before OLCI as well. There are reports of coach restricted fares getting seat selection a week or so before OLCI officially opens selection for those type of fares.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Nominally at OLCI, although there may be some seats held back for airport control.

You might keep checking a few days before OLCI as well. There are reports of coach restricted fares getting seat selection a week or so before OLCI officially opens selection for those type of fares.
This is good info. Thank you.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:08 pm

FYI - if you have a single digit flight number you need to add a leading '0' (zero) on JAL's website. Otherwise it won't find your record to let you assign seats, etc. This is truly piss poor programming in 2019. Flight number 1 requires 01. Also, I've added to the Wiki the leading zero and the fact that AA awards on JL metal can be assigned seats via the JL website.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Hi, my JAL-operated flight is booked from AA with AA flight numbers. I can't find the itin on JAL.com under "manage reservations" using JAL PNR and flight #. Is this normal?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by italdesign
Hi, my JAL-operated flight is booked from AA with AA flight numbers. I can't find the itin on JAL.com under "manage reservations" using JAL PNR and flight #. Is this normal?
Not unusual. Do you have a middle name included in the booking?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
How are the 3 middle seats in J? I’m booked ORD-HND then HND-DFW - thinking 8 hours talking to my wife might be a bit much, maybe pawn her off for a bit to the passenger on the other side?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kmandrew
How are the 3 middle seats in J? I’m booked ORD-HND then HND-DFW - thinking 8 hours talking to my wife might be a bit much, maybe pawn her off for a bit to the passenger on the other side?
The passenger on the other side will raise the privacy partition, and there will be no option for conversation. You can do the same
rustykettel and peaches070 like this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I have an upcoming J itinerary with some AA-marketed, JAL-operated segments in the middle of it.
  • JAL said to call AA, so I did and booked seats. AA.com shows them.
  • I noticed on ExpertFlyer that those seats are still...open.
  • I call JAL, who patches in an AA agent in a 3-way call. AA says we have seats. JAL agent says we do not (but refuses to help). The JAL agent asks the AA agent to drop off of the call and then proceeded to bad mouth AA for not being "helpful" ( codeshares are a mess, but *maybe* JAL could be a little more helpful here).
I have not been able to figure out how to take my AA-provided JAL confirmation number to manage my booking (using any flight segment, marketed or operating flight number, or combinations of pax names).

Is there a way for me to get AA's computers to push the seat assignment request again to JAL? As far as I'm concerned, this is an atrocious experience for paid J (plus OWE).
Old Dec 25, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
I have an upcoming J itinerary with some AA-marketed, JAL-operated segments in the middle of it.
  • JAL said to call AA, so I did and booked seats. AA.com shows them.
  • I noticed on ExpertFlyer that those seats are still...open.
  • I call JAL, who patches in an AA agent in a 3-way call. AA says we have seats. JAL agent says we do not (but refuses to help). The JAL agent asks the AA agent to drop off of the call and then proceeded to bad mouth AA for not being "helpful" ( codeshares are a mess, but *maybe* JAL could be a little more helpful here).
I have not been able to figure out how to take my AA-provided JAL confirmation number to manage my booking (using any flight segment, marketed or operating flight number, or combinations of pax names).

Is there a way for me to get AA's computers to push the seat assignment request again to JAL? As far as I'm concerned, this is an atrocious experience for paid J (plus OWE).
It is a mess between AA and JAL. I a quite sure that if the JAL agents had the ability to help, they would. I am not an experton connections between Sabre and Amadeus in general, nor AA and JAL in specific, but it does not seem very smooth.

Out of curiousity, does any one have experience with AA/BA codeshares? That should be the same system bridge.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK

Call JL, give then the JL flight number (not the AA codeshare flight number), date of travel and your name. Ask them to pull up file. Once that happens, ask them for the "Amadeus Record Locator".

You can then use it to manage your booking on the JL website.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
Call JL, give then the JL flight number (not the AA codeshare flight number), date of travel and your name. Ask them to pull up file. Once that happens, ask them for the "Amadeus Record Locator".

You can then use it to manage your booking on the JL website.
Is the Amadeus Record Locator for JAL different from the one that AA gives us? I called AA to ask for the JAL PNR. It does not work on the JAL website but it works on checkmytrip.com. I have tried every permutation of my name and JL/AA number to log into the JAL website without success.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Is the Amadeus Record Locator for JAL different from the one that AA gives us? I called AA to ask for the JAL PNR. It does not work on the JAL website but it works on checkmytrip.com. I have tried every permutation of my name and JL/AA number to log into the JAL website without success.
If you booked a pure JL flight number (eg. JL 123) via AA, you can get the JL (Amadeus) record locator simply by asking the AAgent on the phone.

If you are booked on an AA codeshre flight number (eg. AA8123 operated by JL), nothing will show in AA's system. As such, you will have to ask JL for the actual Amadeus record locator by telling them "I am booked on JL 123 [you will need to give them the pure JL flight number as opposed the AA flight number], my name is XXXX and my date of travel is such and such...".
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:00 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Here's a data point on JAL seat selection on an award ticket purchased with AA miles. I did not need to call.

My ticket has an AA flight followed by a JL flight (prime flight codes because it's an award ticket). Once ticketed, I plugged the e-ticket number (001..., not record locator) into the Qatar Airways site. The QR site threw up a modal asking me to enter my email and phone number, which errored out when I did. However, I was able to use the web inspector (developer tools) to remove the modal, which let me see the Amadeus record locator (different from the AA record locator, has numbers in it). If you have access to a JavaScript console for this page, run $(".confirmation-pnr").text() and it should print out a string that includes the record locator.

I took that record locator, plugged it into JAL's Manage My Booking, with the AA flight number of the first flight on the ticket (operated by AA), my last name, and my first name only, though my middle name is also on the ticket it did not work when I included it. I could then pick seats for me and my friend, including the window seats in business blocked for OWS and OWE.

Your mileage may vary. This is an award ticket in business, so there might be differences for revenue or codeshares or itineraries including other airlines.
oopsz likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR
Here's a data point on JAL seat selection on an award ticket purchased with AA miles. I did not need to call.

My ticket has an AA flight followed by a JL flight (prime flight codes because it's an award ticket). Once ticketed, I plugged the e-ticket number (001..., not record locator) into the Qatar Airways site. The QR site threw up a modal asking me to enter my email and phone number, which errored out when I did. However, I was able to use the web inspector (developer tools) to remove the modal, which let me see the Amadeus record locator (different from the AA record locator, has numbers in it). If you have access to a JavaScript console for this page, run $(".confirmation-pnr").text() and it should print out a string that includes the record locator.

I took that record locator, plugged it into JAL's Manage My Booking, with the AA flight number of the first flight on the ticket (operated by AA), my last name, and my first name only, though my middle name is also on the ticket it did not work when I included it. I could then pick seats for me and my friend, including the window seats in business blocked for OWS and OWE.

Your mileage may vary. This is an award ticket in business, so there might be differences for revenue or codeshares or itineraries including other airlines.
Award tickets are generally not an issue as they are on the native JL number.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.