Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JL Boeing 777-300ER 4 class "W82" - Best Business Class Seat?

Old Oct 16, 2009, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD

What do you think is the best seat for a solo pax flying business class on JL1 SFO-NRT and JL2 NRT-SFO (777-300ER SeatGuru "Version 3" / SeatExpert "Version W82"?

I realize there's no such thing as "best" because it depends on one's preferences but please indulge me with your opinion. I'm thinking of 5D which is the left center aisle seat in the first of two rows of the small business class section wedged between first class and the business class galley (the rest of business class is behind this galley). I chose this seat because presumably it has more privacy and also I tend to have a lot of stuff out (books, magazines, newspapers, iPod, MacBook, toiletry kit, etc.) and would like them within easy reach for the duration of the flight (except during take-off and landing, of course) and hope that 5E, being a center seat, will most likely be empty and can serve as repository. Thoughts?

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm Reason: Added seat map screen capture. Updated for thread split Mod
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:17 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bp888
What do you think is the best seat for a solo pax flying business class on JL1 SFO-NRT and JL2 NRT-SFO (777-300ER Version W82)?

I realize there's no such thing as "best" because it depends on one's preferences but please indulge me with your opinion. I'm thinking of 5D which is the left center aisle seat in the first of two rows of the small business class section wedged between first class and the business class galley (the rest of business class is behind this galley). I chose this seat because presumably it has more privacy and also I tend to have a lot of stuff out (books, magazines, newspapers, iPod, MacBook, toiletry kit, etc.) and would like them within easy reach for the duration of the flight (except during take-off and landing, of course) and hope that 5E, being a center seat, will most likely be empty and can serve as repository. Thoughts?
I haven't flown on that config myself but I have reserved 5K for my coming flights. One major problem with 5K and other window seats is it's hard to hear the cabin attendant. I wish they have an exit row like the old 744 config which will solve this problem. Also I would like to look out the window during the flight to find out what's going on

By the way when are your flights? They are temporarily switching JL001/002 to W73 between Oct 25 and Nov 23.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: MPO
I was on JL001 last week and we were on 14DEG. I was travelling with my 14months and this mini cabin is quite good.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
By the way when are your flights? They are temporarily switching JL001/002 to W73 between Oct 25 and Nov 23.
Thankfully it's in December so no W73.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
I've been in 5G a couple of times and I was very happy with it. Good plan to try to have 5E empty so you can store things beside you, I do the same myself and looking at the seat map of my flight today back to SFO, all the middle seats are empty at the moment. You're right about a bit more privacy, there is obviously very little traffic there.

Last week I was in 13G and will be again today. The only complaint I had there was a rather noisy baby in the row 14-15 mini cabin but ear plugs took care of that quite nicely. As I'll be right in front of the galley, there will be much more traffic but that doesn't bother me at all.

Enjoy your flights!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, UA
I'm thinking of 5D which is the left center aisle seat in the first of two rows of the small business class section wedged between first class and the business class galley (the rest of business class is behind this galley). I chose this seat because presumably it has more privacy and also I tend to have a lot of stuff out (books, magazines, newspapers, iPod, MacBook, toiletry kit, etc.) and would like them within easy reach for the duration of the flight (except during take-off and landing, of course) and hope that 5E, being a center seat, will most likely be empty and can serve as repository.
Sounds a like a decent plan to try.

I flew JL001 a couple days ago. The mini cabin with two rows of business class is pretty quiet. If you really want an unoccupied center seat, row 6 maybe better choice. (On my flight 5G was occupied but 6G was not. I suspect more people want the bulkhead seat.)
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, UA
Slightly OT, but do you know why this is happening? I'm kinda disappointed that my return is on a W73. (Though I suspect the difference isn't THAT big.)
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deeseeel
Slightly OT, but do you know why this is happening? I'm kinda disappointed that my return is on a W73. (Though I suspect the difference isn't THAT big.)
JALPak surmises in his/her blog that it may be "due to the 773 launch on LAX and ORD routes."

Last edited by bp888; Oct 17, 2009 at 9:52 pm
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:17 am

JALPak surmises in his/her blog that it may be "due to the 773 launch on LAX and ORD routes."
That's just my speculation. Another possibility is due to routine aircraft maintenance. JAL just doesn't have any spare 773 with this config. If any of these aircrafts require maintenance, one of the routes have to switch to W73 temporarily.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
That's just my speculation. Another possibility is due to routine aircraft maintenance. JAL just doesn't have any spare 773 with this config. If any of these aircrafts require maintenance, one of the routes have to switch to W73 temporarily.
But as JALPak and I can testify, if you get the 744 in either the L02 or L17 seat configuration with C on the upper deck, seats 19 A or K are definitely the way to go.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Black Adder
But as JALPak and I can testify, if you get the 744 in either the L02 or L17 seat configuration with C on the upper deck, seats 19 A or K are definitely the way to go.
Don't get me started. NONE of the seats on the 773 come close to 19A/K on a 744. It has legroom, storage, and window. I really miss my personal storage space where I can keep my backpack and camera.

By the way are you in the Sakura lounge right now? Don't forget to try the freshly baked bread, and the rice flour bread if you pick the Western meal on your flight back. Have a nice flight (hopefully 13D won't be fighting for 13E with you )
Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:03 am

sorry folk. So all the SFO to NRT flight are operated in the new 777 plane now? Planning to take one of those!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by anchor79
sorry folk. So all the SFO to NRT flight are operated in the new 777 plane now? Planning to take one of those!
Not between Oct 25 and Nov 23. They will use W73 config during that time, i.e. 773 with solo and flat shell seats
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:28 pm

Thankfully it's in December so no W73.
http://www.ar.jal.com/cms/contents/e...news_4065.html

JAL has just added additional W73 configuration period for JL001/002: December 21-December 31. Hopefully your flights don't fall into those dates. Looks like this time the change is related to maintenance.

Seems like until JAL has an extra 773 with this config, every time they need maintenance, they will pick on SFO
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:12 pm

Phew! My flight is out from LAX on the 21st! (Gasps!) So Far I think 5K is pretty decent seat based on everyone's review above (I am a solo PAX).

For the return flight. On JL 18 (NRT to YVR). What is the good seat in you guys' opinion? Currently I reserved 2H. Let me know what you guys think

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.