Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Flights out of Catania, Sicily?

Flights out of Catania, Sicily?

Old Jul 12, 2008, 6:10 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Programs: DL GM, UA, AA, Hilton HHonors
Posts: 27
Flights out of Catania, Sicily?

Does anyone have experience with flights in/out of Catania, Sicily, Italy? We will be living at NAS Sigonella and hope there are several discount airlines that fly out of Catania.
Grazie.
-Jared C.

PS We will be arriving from SLC to ATL to Rome and then to Catania. We will be flying on Delta to Rome and then Alitalia.
Jarreb is offline  
Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:41 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: south of WAS DC
Posts: 10,131
go to www.google.com

type in catania airport.
hit return

first up is some strange spelling(not in english) of catania airport.

click on flights.
slawecki is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:15 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 6,196
Originally Posted by Jarreb
Does anyone have experience with flights in/out of Catania, Sicily, Italy? We will be living at NAS Sigonella and hope there are several discount airlines that fly out of Catania.
Grazie.
-Jared C.
Air One, Air Berlin, and EasyJet all fly to Catania.

I lived in that area for three years in the late 1990s so if you have any specific questions regarding life in Sicily, feel free to PM me.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:50 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Programs: DL GM, UA, AA, Hilton HHonors
Posts: 27
Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Air One, Air Berlin, and EasyJet all fly to Catania.

I lived in that area for three years in the late 1990s so if you have any specific questions regarding life in Sicily, feel free to PM me.
Thanks for the info on the discount airlines. I am sure that we will become familiar with them after arrival and in the next several months.

Ciao.
Jarreb is offline  
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:52 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Programs: DL GM, UA, AA, Hilton HHonors
Posts: 27
Great advice

Originally Posted by slawecki
go to www.google.com

type in catania airport.
hit return

first up is some strange spelling(not in english) of catania airport.

click on flights.
Great advice. It worked great.
Grazie.
Jarreb is offline  
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:33 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Posts: 3,561
Catania has a plethora of airlines to choose from and the new terminal building is light years ahead of the old one. i wish more airlines would use the jet bridges as the buses get hot and stuffy very quickly and the standard Italian model we have of "pushing and shoving" and avoiding order at all costs doesn't help---but again the airport is a big improvement.

The most expensive flights are actually usually on Alitalia to FCO trying to connect to other skyteam flights. Flights to London can be had cheaply with advance purchase on BA or Air Malta (I'm flying CTA-London on BA for 120 Euros and that is expensive compared to my normal Air Malta)

www.skyscanner.net has a good search feature for intra Italy and Euro flights.

WindJet is rumoured to expand at CTA soon and Blu-express is flying more as well, not to mention the other airlines listed by posters above.
CTA will serve you well, and Space A is fairly easy at Sig also.

Ciao,
FH
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:02 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Programs: DL GM, UA, AA, Hilton HHonors
Posts: 27
Thumbs up Thank you

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Catania has a plethora of airlines to choose from and the new terminal building is light years ahead of the old one. i wish more airlines would use the jet bridges as the buses get hot and stuffy very quickly and the standard Italian model we have of "pushing and shoving" and avoiding order at all costs doesn't help---but again the airport is a big improvement.

The most expensive flights are actually usually on Alitalia to FCO trying to connect to other skyteam flights. Flights to London can be had cheaply with advance purchase on BA or Air Malta (I'm flying CTA-London on BA for 120 Euros and that is expensive compared to my normal Air Malta)

www.skyscanner.net has a good search feature for intra Italy and Euro flights.

WindJet is rumoured to expand at CTA soon and Blu-express is flying more as well, not to mention the other airlines listed by posters above.
CTA will serve you well, and Space A is fairly easy at Sig also.

Ciao,
FH
Thank you for the info. We had been in Korea for the past 3 years, before that England for 2 years, and 2 years in Japan before that. We are well experienced in Space A and used Ryanair alot in England. Thanks for the Space A info at Sigonella- will definitely use it.
Looking forward to cheaper flights again. Couldn't find "cheaper" in Korea. One time we did book a "sale" priced flight on Singapore Air. Best airline ever, in my humble opinion. ^
When did the new terminal open at Catania? I will look into those flights to London. Have you visited Malta? Do you recommend it?
Ciao,
Jared C.
Jarreb is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:51 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Posts: 3,561
Originally Posted by Jarreb
Thank you for the info. We had been in Korea for the past 3 years, before that England for 2 years, and 2 years in Japan before that. We are well experienced in Space A and used Ryanair alot in England. Thanks for the Space A info at Sigonella- will definitely use it.
Looking forward to cheaper flights again. Couldn't find "cheaper" in Korea. One time we did book a "sale" priced flight on Singapore Air. Best airline ever, in my humble opinion. ^
When did the new terminal open at Catania? I will look into those flights to London. Have you visited Malta? Do you recommend it?
Ciao,
Jared C.
Yes Malta is nice. You can take a ferry or fly Air Malta. They have a good search engine, or again I use Skyscanner.net which actually takes you to book with the actual airline.

between British Airways and Air Malta there are about ~flights a week non-stop to London. I flew TuiFly often from Germany to Sicilia as well.
The new terminal opened a little over a year ago. the old one is still next door and looks mid 80s Beruit-esq.

Ciao,
FH
FlyingHoustonian is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.