Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

FCO new Terminal 5

FCO new Terminal 5

Old May 10, 2008, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

FCO new Terminal 5

I can't tell if it's mentioned anywhere else on FT: as of May 3, Rome Fiumicino airport has a new Terminal 5 for departing passengers on U.S. carriers. Information from the airport site is here. Cars can go there to let people off, but otherwise people need to take a shuttle bus from Terminal C. Am I reading correctly that the terminal is only for departing pax, so arriving pax would still go from the satellite to the main part of C, clear passport control, and exit there?
Old May 10, 2008, 11:44 pm

Yes, Terminal 5 is only for departing passengers.

From the airport website:
Terminal 5 has been built for departing passengers of American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta, United Airlines and US Airways and has been designed with the aim to increase the capacity of Fiumicino airport intercontinental area. In the past years overcrowding at Terminal C has caused quite many problems to passengers. The new building is just at a short distance from the airport terminals, it extends over a total surface area of approximately 14,000 sqm and it is subdivided into three main areas: an area dedicated to profiling activities, a check-in area and a security/passport control area that also includes the gates to the shuttle bus service, which transports passengers to the West Satellite for boarding operations, covering a short-distance journey of 800 m only. The security check area also provides a Fast Track service for frequent flyers and business class passengers. Services available to passengers are a pharmacy selling OTC products, a coffee shop, soft drink vending machines, a baby-changing unit and a special assistance lounge available to disabled passengers located in the profiling area.

For a map of the airport and more details click here.
Old May 11, 2008, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and a security/passport control area that also includes the gates to the shuttle bus service, which transports passengers to the West Satellite for boarding operations, covering a short-distance journey of 800 m only.
Yikes, so they build a new terminal, and still can't put ramps on it for the planes? If you still have to take a shuttle bus and then climb steps with your carryon (cabin) luggage to get on the plane, what's the point???
Old May 11, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: CO One Pass, Lifetime PC, 1/5 to 1M
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yikes, so they build a new terminal, and still can't put ramps on it for the planes? If you still have to take a shuttle bus and then climb steps with your carryon (cabin) luggage to get on the plane, what's the point???
If I read it right, you are transported to Teminal C's satellite, the place from which flights to US have left in the past. The boarding gates are there--there is no need to go outside or climb steps.
Old May 11, 2008, 10:17 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by catchatiger
...The security check area also provides a Fast Track service for frequent flyers and business class passengers.
THIS is a fantastic improvement.
Old May 11, 2008, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXGR
Basically it's for all flights going to either the United States or Israel.
Not if they're operated by Alitalia, Eurofly, or any future Italian airline, right? And under Open Skies, a third country's airlines could go non-stop to the U.S. I would guess that a reason for the new terminal was AZ's move of long-hauls out of MXP, making the already crowded check-in at Terminal C unmanageable.
Old May 13, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold
Great an even longer trip from Terminal A to international flights. I thought the satellite was bad enough, but this takes the cake.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
What I don't see any mention of - and is crucially important for me - is dogana (customs). When you're claiming back tax refunds, they need to stamp your forms, so I would hope that there's going to be someone to handle this in the new terminal. But the tax refund companies - if you want to get cash back - are all located in the main Terminal C and not in the Satellite. So for my purposes, this sounds like it's going to be a major inconvenience.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver
Where are the BE or skyteam lounges, terminal 5 or C? We had an easy time out of Terminal C in October. How early do you need to get to the airport now? I'm compulsive enought to get there 3 hours early for a 9:45 a.m. flight to ATL.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by joan24
Where are the BE or skyteam lounges, terminal 5 or C? We had an easy time out of Terminal C in October. How early do you need to get to the airport now? I'm compulsive enought to get there 3 hours early for a 9:45 a.m. flight to ATL.
The clubs (almost all to cruddy to use that term) are still in C. Terminal 5 works as a check in facility only. Once you get your BPs, clear security, etc.. you are bussed back to Terminal C and use the same clubs as always

The biggest time addition is the fact that T5 is a bit further away from the others terminals. 3 hours will be more than enough time.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: CO One Pass, Lifetime PC, 1/5 to 1M
Originally Posted by ShopAround
What I don't see any mention of - and is crucially important for me - is dogana (customs). When you're claiming back tax refunds, they need to stamp your forms, so I would hope that there's going to be someone to handle this in the new terminal. But the tax refund companies - if you want to get cash back - are all located in the main Terminal C and not in the Satellite. So for my purposes, this sounds like it's going to be a major inconvenience.
There is a very obvious VAT refund office in 5.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Cupertino
There is a very obvious VAT refund office in 5.
Thank you so much for that info! I won't be in FCO until November, so that's great to know!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles&More, Millemiglia
Exclamation T5

Hello,

I'm travelling with a group of 30 people in 2 weeks time from Trieste via Rome to JFK. We're flying on American Airlines, so we have to get from Terminal A to Terminal 5. I know we have to take the bus shuttle from Terminal C's departure area, but does anyone know how long does it take to get from Terminal A to Terminal 5? The time between our flights is only 1h 50min. Is Terminal A connected with the other terminals or do we have to leave the building?

The Italians changed their web site and removed the information regarding the bus shuttle to T5. *angry*
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

The AA flight would actually leave from the Terminal C satellite; T5 is a check-in facility. If you can avoid check-in at FCO, you can get to the gate airside; T5 is completely separate and AFAIK you can't get there airside.

So, I imagine that in your group there would be people checking bags; is your flight from Trieste on an airline that interlines baggage to AA? I see that AA doesn't have online check-in for international flights, so a question for someone who knows better: can an AA boarding pass, or other document that lets them clear security and passport control airside, be issued by a transit desk at FCO, letting you stay airside to get from A to C?

If you need to go landside, there's a walkway outside the front of the terminals to get from A to C; then the question is how often the bus runs, and will the group of 30, mixing with others who are waiting, need to be split among a few buses? Was this trip booked on one itinerary that says it's a legal connection? If you enter T5 as if you're originating, often two hours early is too late, but at other times it goes quickly.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles&More, Millemiglia
Originally Posted by rove312
The AA flight would actually leave from the Terminal C satellite; T5 is a check-in facility. If you can avoid check-in at FCO, you can get to the gate airside; T5 is completely separate and AFAIK you can't get there airside.

So, I imagine that in your group there would be people checking bags; is your flight from Trieste on an airline that interlines baggage to AA? I see that AA doesn't have online check-in for international flights, so a question for someone who knows better: can an AA boarding pass, or other document that lets them clear security and passport control airside, be issued by a transit desk at FCO, letting you stay airside to get from A to C?

If you need to go landside, there's a walkway outside the front of the terminals to get from A to C; then the question is how often the bus runs, and will the group of 30, mixing with others who are waiting, need to be split among a few buses? Was this trip booked on one itinerary that says it's a legal connection? If you enter T5 as if you're originating, often two hours early is too late, but at other times it goes quickly.
Hi,

Yes, all the tickets were booked as one itinerary - Trieste-FCO-JFK-Miami. We'll check your bags in Trieste and then hopefully the Italians won't lose them at FCO (or JFK).
As far as I know, we have to get from Terminal A to T5 on our own (by taking the bus shuttle from Terminal C). I'm trying to contact the American Airlines personnel in Rome if they could assist us with the transfer. The FCO staff said they could, but we have to contact them directly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.