Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Herculaneum - Naples

Herculaneum - Naples

Old Oct 15, 07, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Herculaneum - Naples

I was going to head down to Naples and was wondering if I need a tour guide going to Herculaneum.

For Pompeii, I assume it's so large that a tour guide would be very useful. However, I heard Herculaneum was quite a bit smaller and wondered if I could do it on my own.

I would assume taking a taxi there and back is probably the easiest way to get there.

Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 07, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BA silver, Crystal Society Double Diamond
You can take the train but

it is a long walk down hill and an even worse long walk up hill. A guide might be nice but they also have those audio guides you can rent. It is well worth the trip.
Old Oct 15, 07, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, ijkh. So, you're essentially confirming a taxi is the best for someone lazy like me?
Old Oct 15, 07, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BA silver, Crystal Society Double Diamond
yes

It is ideal. Have a great trip. If you are going from Naples their taxi drivers are a pretty hard nosed lot. Bargin hard.
Old Oct 15, 07, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
You might as well tale the train. The walk back up to the train station isn't that long and steep. I guess it depends on how used to walking (or not) you are.

You might want to check for the tours to the parts not open to casual visitors. The bath is one such site.
Old Oct 16, 07, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijkh View Post
It is ideal. Have a great trip. If you are going from Naples their taxi drivers are a pretty hard nosed lot. Bargin hard.
Thanks. Will keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
You might as well tale the train. The walk back up to the train station isn't that long and steep. I guess it depends on how used to walking (or not) you are.

You might want to check for the tours to the parts not open to casual visitors. The bath is one such site.
Good tip. Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 07, 1:50 pm

The train you want to pick up from Naples Central Train Station is called the Circumvesuviana. It takes you from Naples to Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Sorrento - which I am using as a base for Pompeii this week - not sure if I'll make it to Herculaneum. But I am taking the Circumvesuviana regardless and not a taxi.

Naples is notorious for being prone to petty theft and pickpocketing on the trains and at the train station. But I've heard that there is a stepped up police presence there in the last few years that has helped.
Old Oct 17, 07, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post

Is this legit for Herculaneum? I know it is for Pompeii but I had not read the same for this other site.
Old Oct 17, 07, 4:39 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Just thought I'd throw this on this thread... if you are interested in visiting Herculaneum and happen to be in Los Angeles before or after your trip it would (IMHO) be really cool to visit the Getty Villa in Malibu. (It replicates the Villa dei Papiri). Plus of course, it houses a terrific collection (if the Italians let them keep some of it! )

http://www.getty.edu/visit/see_do/architecture.html
Old Oct 19, 07, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ahallflyertalk View Post
The train you want to pick up from Naples Central Train Station is called the Circumvesuviana. It takes you from Naples to Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Sorrento - which I am using as a base for Pompeii this week - not sure if I'll make it to Herculaneum.
Thanks.
Old May 13, 13, 8:20 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
I've read that Pompeii is expansive and that one can get quite a good experience at the Herculaneum as opposed to visiting Pompeii.

I don't feel the need to visit both Herculaneum & Pompeii, anyone been to both?

I'm curious on your thoughts on the above, and did you feel one was a better experience than the other?
-
Old May 13, 13, 8:32 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post
I've read that Pompeii is expansive and that one can get quite a good experience at the Herculaneum as opposed to visiting Pompeii.

I'm curious on your thoughts on the above, and did you feel one was a better experience than the other?
-
FWIW, I have only been to Pompeii (which I thoroughly enjoyed) but have been told by several Italians that Herculaneum would have been 'better'. The reasoning was unspecific in all cases except that it was less touristy.
Old May 13, 13, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
They're both very different and both worth visiting. I've visited both in the '70s and '00s. i guess it depends on your time and mobility. (The excavated and open part of) Herculaneum is much smaller.
Old May 14, 13, 2:58 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post

-
It's been about seven(!) years since I did them both on back-to-back days, but beyond the odd ancient building burning down they shouldn't have changed much. When I went with my brother, we got the multi-site card and didn't find it expensive. Here's the link to a few of the of photos I had from both, a few of which I'll put here.

Pompeii IS expansive. It does, however, feature more notable historic monuments. Because of its size you can wander and get lost all day, choose what to see, and at least in our case avoid the crowds somewhat. Between the Stabian Baths and the Villa of the Mysteries, plazas, the amphitheatre, the Temple of Jupiter, and on and on and on, it fills a day. We had to start doing the "seen it, move on" thing by the end because we just couldn't do it all, however we also started later in the day. But if you spend the day, it's possible to see it well. Not much is preserved over the ground floor, and I mention this for reference later. The other thing to note is that we noticed the tourists collected more around the Temple of Jupiter and area, rather than heading out to the corners of the town.

As an aside, we stayed in Pompeii in a non-luxury property, but got a 3-bed hotel room off the main square for... I think something like €60.

Herculaneum, on the other hand, is a much smaller excavation and, because of its proximity to the volcano, got covered in much more so that it feels like it's at the bottom of a hole. This, to me, was the best part because more seemed to be preserved. Buildings may have walls going up above the ground floor and the streets seemed more... I want to say lifelike. There are some really nicely-preserved buildings and friezes. It was for this reason that I liked it more than Pompeii: you feel more like going back in time. It is, however, a much smaller dig with fewer "big name" villas and much less geared to a certain type of tourist (the example my brother used was that the toilets are much less... fancy than in pompeii. They have a seat on the mens', for example... He found it in the corner.) There's also not so much of a restaurant/gift shop/touts (in fact we saw no touts at all selling World Cup junk at the gates (this was 2006, of course, about a month after the fact)).

So as with most things, it's going to depend heavily on what you want. If you want to see the known things, take the day and see Pompeii. If you're not concerned about seeing Stabian and the Temple of Jupiter, or would rather spend some time away from the bigger crowds I recommend Herculaneum. Actually, I recommend Herculaneum in general, for the specific reasons above, if you have to pick one. If you can't choose, though, do what we did and see one in the afternoon, stay over in Pompeii or Herculaneum, and see the other in the next morning.

Last edited by DJ Bitterbarn; May 14, 13 at 3:06 am
Old May 16, 13, 7:13 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Thanks for the replies.^

DJ Bitterbarn terrific description & good photos:-:

Search this Thread
Search Engine: