Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hotels in Florence, 80 Euro range

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2007, 1:40 am
Original Poster

hotels in Florence, 80 Euro range

Will be here in mid-June, looking for as nice a place as possible (of course, right? )and hoping to stay perhaps in the 80 Euro range. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old May 5, 2007, 2:09 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by DorianGray
Will be here in mid-June, looking for as nice a place as possible (of course, right? )and hoping to stay perhaps in the 80 Euro range. Anyone have any suggestions?
it's a bit more expensive but i did stay here 2 years ago and it is a wonderful hotel. centally located, w/continental breakfast, private bath, and close to the train station (if you don't mind a 15/20 mnute walk) and not too $$ for a cab to the airport. i'm not sure what they have for availabilty and what the costs are now but it is a nice hotel with great staff. don't know if they have wifi but you're s'posed to be on vacation right?

http://www.hotelportarossa.com/
Old May 5, 2007, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
i'm not sure what they have for availabilty and what the costs are now
http://www.hotelportarossa.com/
It's now more than double OP's budget.
Old May 5, 2007, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
For that price, you should be focusing on Italian 2 star hotels. There are several of them around Santa Maria Novella - an area quite close to the train station - which in the case of Florence means you are very close to the heart of the historic city. The key to lower price accommodations in Europe is to ask to inspect the room before actual checkin and if you don't like the room, ask the proprietor for a better room. Often times the quality of rooms varies greatly in a 2 star establishment.

As an alternative, stay in a suburb of Florence (i.e Prato) where you can easily find a 3 or 4 star that fits your budget and travel to/from the city center using the excellent public transportation system.

(PS Hotel Porta Rossa -which bills itself as "the oldest hotel in Italy" is much more expensive that 80EU/night)
Old May 5, 2007, 10:50 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Of course, one should mention the area around the train station could be considered unsavoury.
Old May 6, 2007, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Of course, one should mention the area around the train station could be considered unsavoury.
W/all due respect, I disagree. While I would certainly warn a traveler against staying near the station in Rome or Naples, the same doesn't hold true for Florence. As w/many Italian cities (Venice being the notable exception), the O/P may encounter a pick pocket near the station but otherwise the S. Maria Novella area is much safer & cleaner than many station areas. I would not have suggested it if it were 'unsavoury.' The O/P has a very ltd budget and will likely find a suitable accommodation in this area.

Last edited by bdemaria; May 6, 2007 at 6:49 am
Old May 6, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by bdemaria
the S. Maria Novella area is much safer & cleaner than many station areas. I would not have suggested it if it were 'unsavoury.'
I would agree, and not worry about this area at all. We have walked around here early morning and late evening exploring different streets on our way to and from SMN. We never felt uncomfortable. In fact, it was no different than walking to the Duomo area. It is quite busy with pedestrians and auto/bus traffic, with plenty of shops and restaurants.

For the OP, have you considered an apartment in Florence? We have always found them to be more reasonable than Hotels, and a lot more comfortable.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braindrain
that area is not that far from the two sheraton lux hotels. has some nice local dining in the area. I do not worry when wandering around there at night.
Old May 6, 2007, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I guess unsavoury is quite subjective. I DID find the area just adjacent to SMN a bit rough although it improves considerably after a few blocks out. Whatever works for you.
Old May 7, 2007, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks, but where should I look to find said hotels? Any sites you could rec or specific hotels?
Old May 7, 2007, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
It's now more than double OP's budget.
like i said, it's a bit more expensive but where it is a nice hotel, i thought i'd throw it out there just for cocnsideration.
Old May 7, 2007, 1:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Try here - http://www.hotelcestelli.com/

I haven't stayed here but my Dad did. It's in a great location in Florence.
Old May 7, 2007, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
like i said, it's a bit more expensive
I'm a tad confused. "a bit more" = double OP's stated budget??
Old May 7, 2007, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

start with venere.com.

you can try hotels, but also look in B&B's and look in hotels that do not book online.

click on the €75 box, to cut down from the 400 or so hits.

there is also a select on the map section.
Old May 7, 2007, 2:39 pm

We're heading to Florence in a few weeks and had a bit of a difficult go of it finding a place for around 75 Euro a night.

Here are some resources we came across that you might find handy:
www.florencehousing.it - They have apartment rentals. Found the link off Craigslist which you might want to try also.
Eurocheapo.com - Lots of budget stuff.
Tripadvisor.com - We did a search on hotels in Florence which were ranked from 1 to X based on traveler reviews. We just went down the list from 1 and did further research on the ones which we thought were within budget.

During our first trip to Florence a few years back, we arrived after dusk. The area around the train station didn't give us the safest feeling but it didn't freak me out that much because this time, we're staying just northeast of the train station. It's a guesthouse with shared kitchen and bathroom (amongst 3 rooms) for about 35Euro per night. We stayed at Soggiorno Pezzati Daniela during our first trip. It looks to be going for 65 to 90 Euro / night for a double w/ bathroom nowadays. It's located a quiet street 5 min walk north of the Duomo.

Last edited by Jay71; May 7, 2007 at 2:41 pm Reason: clarification of some wording

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.