FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy-634/)
-   -   Venice in April - any suggestions? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/665360-venice-april-any-suggestions.html)

timothyp_787 Feb 27, 2007 1:23 pm

Venice in April - any suggestions?

Hey folks -- anybody got some good suggestions for things to see /do in Venice? I'm putting together my honeymoon for late April (yes, THIS April), and have never been before. I'd love see what some of the more well-traveled recommend.

bdemaria Feb 28, 2007 8:45 am

Quite a broad question. I lived in Venice for 2 years and will do my best.

The best thing to do is allow yourself to wander away from the highly touristed areas (San Marco & Rialto). People often fear getting lost/turned around - but remember, its an island.

Be sure to get VERY precise directions to your hotel. An address like "San Marco 3208" will do you very little good, you need sites to assist in navigating - what campo/church/bridge is it near, etc...

Pack light. At some point during your trip, you will very likely have to shlep your luggage over a bridge - or at least some distance.

Do go to the Accademia gallery, the Palazzo Ducale and Basilica of San Marco.

In the event of flooding, don't take your shoes off and walk through the water. Do what the locals do and walk along the elevated planks.

Rather than visiting the original Harry's Bar - which is very expensive and not always the most welcoming place for tourists, spend an afternoon at Harry's Dolci on the Giudecca island. Its the same food, Bellinis, etc.. as the original Harry's for 1/2 the price, more amenable service and fantastic views.

Also, check out the websites for a "rolling venice" card - which will allow you discounted entrance fees as well as unlimited use of public water buses.

szg Feb 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Go to Lido. It is a nice Island !!

wsflyer Mar 1, 2007 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 7312934)
Quite a broad question. I lived in Venice for 2 years and will do my best.

The best thing to do is allow yourself to wander away from the highly touristed areas (San Marco & Rialto). People often fear getting lost/turned around - but remember, its an island.

Be sure to get VERY precise directions to your hotel. An address like "San Marco 3208" will do you very little good, you need sites to assist in navigating - what campo/church/bridge is it near, etc...

Pack light. At some point during your trip, you will very likely have to shlep your luggage over a bridge - or at least some distance.

Do go to the Accademia gallery, the Palazzo Ducale and Basilica of San Marco.

In the event of flooding, don't take your shoes off and walk through the water. Do what the locals do and walk along the elevated planks.

Rather than visiting the original Harry's Bar - which is very expensive and not always the most welcoming place for tourists, spend an afternoon at Harry's Dolci on the Giudecca island. Its the same food, Bellinis, etc.. as the original Harry's for 1/2 the price, more amenable service and fantastic views.

Also, check out the websites for a "rolling venice" card - which will allow you discounted entrance fees as well as unlimited use of public water buses.

Great advice, especially about wandering around. I would also suggest riding out to Murano and Burano islands. Also, don't miss Scuola Grande di San Rocco. Take a vaporetto (water bus) down the Grand Canal. You'll have a great time!

obscure2k Mar 1, 2007 1:28 pm

Be sure to visit the Sestiere of Cannaragio. This is where the Ventians really live and the area is filled with great local trattorias.
A must is going to Locanda Cipriani for lunch. http://www.locandacipriani.com/
This is not to be confused with the Cipriani Hotel. Locanda Cipriani is located on the island of Torcello. Torcello is a rather mystical island with only about 2 dozen residents. The Locanda serves breathtakingly fresh food in an exquisite garden. The vegetables are grown in the garden, the pasta is homemade in the kitchen as are all of the desserts and the service and ambiance are truly memorable. You will take a vaporetto from Ponte Nove and will have to change vaporettos in Burano. It will be a very special day.:)

anele Mar 5, 2007 9:22 am

Venice - my own city ! - is always beautiful and April is a good month. A lot depends on how long you plan to stay (min. 1 week !).

Pls consider that April 25th is National Holidays in Italy, as well as May 1st (Labour Day), so make sure you book hotel well in advance.
Also Venice is likely to be crowded those days as it is a classical destination for april/may week-ends.

Give me an idea of what you look for (food/art/shopping/walking) and will be glad to give you some ideas.

767-322ETOPS Mar 5, 2007 11:11 am

Day trip to Padua . . . it's an easy train ride from Venice.

Also try dinner at the Madonna, good fish !

slawecki Mar 5, 2007 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 7320661)
Be sure to visit the Sestiere of Cannaragio. This is where the Ventians really live and the area is filled with great local trattorias.
A must is going to Locanda Cipriani for lunch. http://www.locandacipriani.com/
This is not to be confused with the Cipriani Hotel. Locanda Cipriani is located on the island of Torcello. Torcello is a rather mystical island with only about 2 dozen residents. The Locanda serves breathtakingly fresh food in an exquisite garden. The vegetables are grown in the garden, the pasta is homemade in the kitchen as are all of the desserts and the service and ambiance are truly memorable. You will take a vaporetto from Ponte Nove and will have to change vaporettos in Burano. It will be a very special day.:)

When we went there, there was a water taxi arranged for all the persons wishing to dine. the fee was modest. the taxi was one of the ciprani taxis. it left from in front of harry's bar near san marco.

the arrangement was made by the concierge at the danieli. it seemed to be a standard sat/sun lunch thing.

Bearbear Mar 7, 2007 7:03 pm

I too will be visiting Venice in early April. I will take advantage of the great advice given here but am wondering if anyone has additional tips for someone traveling with boys age 9 and 11.

I've already booked a short term apartment to make things easier.

bdemaria Mar 8, 2007 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Bearbear (Post 7361776)
I too will be visiting Venice in early April. I will take advantage of the great advice given here but am wondering if anyone has additional tips for someone traveling with boys age 9 and 11.

My experience is that children find Venice very intriquing b/c of the water/canals, etc.. so just walking around and watching how people live can be great fun (i.e., garbage boats instead of garbage trucks, etc...) Depending on the weather, a day at the beach on the Lido can be fun for children.

Also, there's Gardaland, an Italian theme park that's located on the mainland. Its very easy to reach by train (+/- 90 minutes) Take the Verona/Milan line and get off at the "gardaland" stop and then a shuttle takes you there. Its Italy's #1 theme park, meticulously maintained and a lot of fun - if you like these sorts of activities. I believe their website is bilinqual - www.gardaland.it

slawecki Mar 8, 2007 7:18 am

keep your hands inside the boat!!!

bdemaria Mar 8, 2007 7:21 am

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 7364072)
keep your hands inside the boat!!!

Indeed - sage advice!

wsflyer Mar 8, 2007 2:33 pm

I don't know what your kids are interested in, but Venice is amazing because it is so different. Even as an adult, I was amazed by riding down the Grand Canal and seeing a waterway used as a road: police boats, garbage boats, water buses, etc. You can ride a cheap traghetto (utilitarian gondola) across the Canal. Even the mundane is interesting. Also, they may enjoy going up the campanile (bell tower) at St. Mark's and San Giorgio Maggiore island. They would probably enjoy seeing glass made on Murano. At Scuola Grande di San Rocco, they might enjoy holding mirrors to view the Tintoretto paintings on the ceiling--an interesting twist on art.

If you are staying a while, you may want to consider some day trips to the mainland.

They should have a blast! And if you need to, you can always use bribery: if you two will do X, we'll go get some gelato afterward.:D

ChgoBob Mar 9, 2007 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by 767-322ETOPS (Post 7343917)
Day trip to Padua . . . it's an easy train ride from Venice.

Verona is also a nice day trip, with plenty of sights.

But there is so much to see in Venice, and so many small streets to negotiate for new discoveries, I don't recommend leaving Venice at all on your first trip there. (nor your 2nd or 3rd)

Walk everywhere that you can. Consider getting the Venice Card for taking the vaporetto anywhere.

If a menu is in 3 languages or more on the window of a restaurant, keep walking. :D

szg Mar 10, 2007 1:35 am

Originally Posted by ChgoBob (Post 7373137)

If a menu is in 3 languages or more on the window of a restaurant, keep walking. :D

And avoid the restaurants on the main sights, just go into the small streets, there you will find good and cheap restaurants.