Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MXP Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:04 am
Original Poster

MXP Question(s)

I have to get from MXP to FCO after my flight from Toronto on Alitalia.

I will be arriving at (fingers crossed) 7:25AM. I am planning on taking
an 8:35AM flight on Blu Express (LCC) from MXP to FCO.

Would it be possible/best to Transit Through or do I have to go through
Immigration and then clear security?

I have never been to MXP, so I will have to factor in extra time. Does anyone know if the terminal Blu flies out of is anywhere near where the terminal Alitalia uses?

Back up plan is to use EuroStar from Milan to Rome Termini.

Thanks,

RxTravel
Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
You'll have to clear immigration and security. Should take about 25 minutes, plus a little bit of walking time to your gate. If your flight arrives on time you'll be fine.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Gargoyle!

Will have my trainers on - thank goodness will be in the front of the plane and should be one of the first to hit immigration.

Regards
Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Immigration is normally pretty quick, maybe a 5 minute line. Occasionally I've seen longer lines. Italy has illegal immigration problems with some countries and not with others, and the inspectors seem to single out citizens of certain countries/continents for extreme scrutiny, while waiving others through. If the line is filled with people from N.American and Europe it will move quickly.

I don't intend this post to seem politically incorrect, so I'm dancing around the issue, but If the lines are long and there is a choice of lines, take a look at the people in each and choose accordingly.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Not construing your post as PI, and thanks for the info.

From your above post, I take it that MXP isn't quite the size of JFK, DFW, LHR, etc.
Hoping that it's just a bit bigger than PIS (Pisa) would be a stretch I suppose since Milan is a business center.

Regards,

RxTravel

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Immigration is normally pretty quick, maybe a 5 minute line. Occasionally I've seen longer lines. Italy has illegal immigration problems with some countries and not with others, and the inspectors seem to single out citizens of certain countries/continents for extreme scrutiny, while waiving others through. If the line is filled with people from N.American and Europe it will move quickly.

I don't intend this post to seem politically incorrect, so I'm dancing around the issue, but If the lines are long and there is a choice of lines, take a look at the people in each and choose accordingly.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by R xTravel
From your above post, I take it that MXP isn't quite the size of JFK, DFW, LHR, etc.
Hoping that it's just a bit bigger than PIS (Pisa) would be a stretch I suppose since Milan is a business center.
Definitely much bigger than PSA, since MXP is a hub. Two terminals, A and B, with a long corridor connecting them, immigration is in that corridor. One terminal is schengen (basically internal EU), the other international, so you'll land at one and walk to the other.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Definitely much bigger than PSA, since MXP is a hub. Two terminals, A and B, with a long corridor connecting them, immigration is in that corridor. One terminal is schengen (basically internal EU), the other international, so you'll land at one and walk to the other.
I may be misundersanding the above, and I apologize if I am, but the "A" and "B" you are speaking of are the different sections ot Terminal 1.

There is an entirely different physical terminal, Terminal 2 (this was the only terminal before the present T1 was opened in the late 1990s). The terminals are far enough apart that a (free) shuttle bus is used to go from T1 and T2.

Although T2 is used by a lot of charter flights, I know that easyJet, for example, uses T2 for its flights. I looked at the website for the LCC that the OP is intending to fly, and cannot find any reference as to which MXP terminal it uses.

If the LCC uses T2, I'd seriously consider forgetting about the LCC and take the nonstop busto Stazione Centrale and then the Eurostar train to Rome Termini.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info, as it happens, the LCC (Blu-Express) flies out of Terminal 1 (which you don't find out about until you purchase a ticket). I take it that Alitalia does as well.

Have researched the EuroStar as well in case I don't make the flight; was thinking of taking the Malpensa Express train to Cadorna Train Station, transferring to the Cadorna Metro Station and taking the metro to the Centrale Station. Is this too involved - would I be better off just taking the Express Bus?

Thanks, Non-NonRev!!

RxTravel

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I may be misundersanding the above, and I apologize if I am, but the "A" and "B" you are speaking of are the different sections ot Terminal 1.

There is an entirely different physical terminal, Terminal 2 (this was the only terminal before the present T1 was opened in the late 1990s). The terminals are far enough apart that a (free) shuttle bus is used to go from T1 and T2.

Although T2 is used by a lot of charter flights, I know that easyJet, for example, uses T2 for its flights. I looked at the website for the LCC that the OP is intending to fly, and cannot find any reference as to which MXP terminal it uses.

If the LCC uses T2, I'd seriously consider forgetting about the LCC and take the nonstop busto Stazione Centrale and then the Eurostar train to Rome Termini.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
You're right. I was ignoring Terminal 2, since I've never used it or talked with people at MXP who were connecting to/from it.

(actually, I most certainly did use it before T1 opened, but my memories are very vague. Last time I recall, we got there very late due to a snowstorm, flight was already closing, the AA agent grabbed us and dragged us past security and onto the plane)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.