Wiki Posts
Search

Italy – Holidays – Need advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, LH Senator, UA Premier Executive, RG Diamante
Italy – Holidays – Need advice

I will be traveling to Italy from Dec, 20 to Jan, 10, with my wife and 2 kids (12 & 10 years old).

Due to Christmas’ and New Year’s holidays, which are the best / worst time to visit Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan ?

I intend to rent a car (except for Rome) but I am really confused where to start my itinerary from.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:29 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by rserson
I will be traveling to Italy from Dec, 20 to Jan, 10, with my wife and 2 kids (12 & 10 years old).

Due to Christmas’ and New Year’s holidays, which are the best / worst time to visit Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan ?

I intend to rent a car (except for Rome) but I am really confused where to start my itinerary from.
you should probably start in rome and end in milan
or vice versa
as those are 2 gateway cities

i'm heading to milan, venice and florence next week
it will be my first time there

i was in rome and naples for a week 4 or 5 summers ago
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:53 am
tyn

I agree that it makes a lot of sense to start/end your trip with Milan and Rome or viceversa as you will have a wider choice of flight options on those airports.

I would recommend moving around using trains instead of renting a car though as you will be here during Italian Xmas/New Year vacations and the traffic will be heavy. Also, if you plan to do museums check opening times on holidays.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 7:41 am

I would skip Milan as during that period will be almost empty and uninteresting. Add Naples or Sorrento instead to visit Pompeii.
Plan to fly in/out from Venice and Rome and travel as much as you can by train. take eurostar trains only and highspeed AV Train between rome and naples.
spend christmas either in rome or in naples area and newyear in venice or in the alps before leaving from venice.
be careful that 25, 26 dec and 1st jan are bank holidays in italy

have a good holiday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.