Search

Rome Hotel Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Rome Hotel Recommendations

Hi Everybody,
I am planning a 6-day stay in Rome before a cruise. I have previously made reservations at the Hotel Smeraldo, but am having doubts because of the difficulty communicating with them by email. Does anyone else have a good *** recommendation with a good central location, breakfast included and accessible bathrooms? Close proximity to restaurants or one on site would be a bonus as I have a mobility impairment. All ideas gratefully accepted.
Old May 22, 2023, 6:50 am

I live in Rome, and therefore have limited experience with hotels here, and only really know what friends and visitors have told me. On the basis of what you have asked for, however, two suggestions do come to mind:

Albergo del Senato: This hotel is very central, practically on the doorstep of the Pantheon. Friends who have stayed there have been very satisfied, and there restaurants all around the Piazza della Rotonda and the immediately vicinity. The hotel seems to be accessible, but I cannot be definitive on this front.

Domus Australia: This hotel is characterised by large beds and spacious bathrooms, and I know that there are rooms specifically designated as ‘accessible’, and there is a restaurant within the hotel. Whilst still within centro, however, it is located more towards Termini, the principal railway station of Rome, therefore less central (in terms of the historic centre) than the Albergo del Senato.

Without wanting to pry into your particular situation, one consideration would be how much mobility (or lack thereof) will be an issue. If you’re able to walk comfortably over short distances, say a few hundred metres at a time, then I would say that a ‘very central’ location would be best, e.g., around the Campo dei Fiori, Piazza della Rotonda, Piazza Navona, etc., such that there are many places of interest and restaurants in the immediate vicinity, in which case I would prefer the Albergo del Senato. If, on the other hand, you will be wholly reliant on taxis to get around, then Domus Australia might be more convenient, as the middle of the historic centre is accessible by taxi only with difficulty: some lanes are too narrow for them, and, just about everywhere else, narrow streets have to be negotiated that, at the height of the tourist season, are so crowded that vehicles can only inch along excruciatingly slowly. Note also that the streets of the historic centre are paved with cobblestones, which may constitute an additional difficulty.
obscure2k and PWMTrav like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

There is a large thread in this forum discussing hotel accommodations in Rome
Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]
Old May 22, 2023, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by RatherGhastly
I...{very long snip}...Note also that the streets of the historic centre are paved with cobblestones, which may constitute an additional difficulty.
Ah, the sanpietrini! They must have been "invented" by an orthopedic surgeon! Still, fond memories of my doing my early morning power walks in Rome more than 10 years ago: vivere pericolosamente...
Old Jun 6, 2023, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Domus Australia looks like a winner. I will seriously consider booking with them. Many thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:54 am

That topic is not active as I see
Old Aug 5, 2023, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Are there any reasonably priced hotels near Rome Fiumicino airport? I thought that maybe the Best Western in Fiumicino town might be an option, but there must be other, lower budget options. I don't mean to cross post from the thread asking why hotels in Rome are so costly at the end of September, but I thought this might be a better place to get some suggestions.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 6:01 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
Are there any reasonably priced hotels near Rome Fiumicino airport? I thought that maybe the Best Western in Fiumicino town might be an option, but there must be other, lower budget options. I don't mean to cross post from the thread asking why hotels in Rome are so costly at the end of September, but I thought this might be a better place to get some suggestions.
The two B&B Hotels in the Parco Leonardo area (either side of the train station). One stop from the airport, usually under € 100.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Thank you tom tulpe​, that certainly fixes the problem and they have sensible, even reasonable, prices. I wonder why they didn't show up on the normal booking channels (probably just as well they didn't).
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
Thank you tom tulpe​, that certainly fixes the problem and they have sensible, even reasonable, prices. I wonder why they didn't show up on the normal booking channels (probably just as well they didn't).
Guess they just refuse to pay commission, same as Premier Inn.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 2:18 pm

Definitely choose a place in Trastevere. It's the best if you want to get a feeling a bit of the old town-Rome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.