Reload this Page >

Trenitalia

Trenitalia

Old Oct 26, 22, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Trenitalia

I still have the app I used to get a train ticket from central station to MXP earlier this year. I'm glad I kept it as I booked a long weekend to Rome in late January. However when I went on the app to search trains from FCO to the city center (anywhere near the Doubletree really) I couldn't find the station. I put in FCO, Rome international , rome airport, etc but to no avail. Am I missing something obvious?
Old Oct 26, 22, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Did you look for Fiumicino Aeroporto?
Old Oct 26, 22, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMN57 View Post
Did you look for Fiumicino Aeroporto?
Thank you , yes that worked!

Is Roma Termini walking distance from the Doubletree (do you know by chance?)
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 26, 22, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Thank you , yes that worked!

Is Roma Termini walking distance from the Doubletree (do you know by chance?)
Doubletree Monti? According to Google Maps, it's 600 meters
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 26, 22, 8:43 pm

Well, people should realize that major airports are usually not located in the town they "think" they're flying to/from. A few days ago I flew from home to Paris and back. In real terms I flew to Orly and from Roissy, both of which are towns in their own right. In contrast my home airport is within the limits of the city of Heraklion, but since there is no train there is no confusion...

Keep in mind that Rome as a smaller, second international airport, Ciampino, which has no train connection, though.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 27, 22, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hopefully finding the trains leaving customs isn't too hard and has bi-lingual signage. It was easy for the train to MXP.
Old Oct 27, 22, 2:20 pm

Yes, it’s well-marked; from Terminal 3 (non-Schengen) I think there’s a choice of overpass or underpass.
Old Oct 27, 22, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by rove312 View Post
Yes, its well-marked; from Terminal 3 (non-Schengen) I think theres a choice of overpass or underpass.
Plus pictograms for those that speak neither Italian nor English.
obscure2k and enviroian like this.
Old Oct 28, 22, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
The OP is totally right about finding things on the Trenitalia app or website though. It can be quite quirky, especially if booking trips that involve different train companies (such as Trenord). Occasionally I have had to buy back to back tickets to get around ticketing problems on certain itineraries, especially leaving Malpensa. And I've always been buying as a guest and never signed up for an account, which I really should do because I am quite often in Italy. The machines in the stations (the Trenitalia ones) are surprisingly user friendly.
enviroian and sydunipete like this.
Old Oct 28, 22, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Keep in mind that Rome as a smaller, second international airport, Ciampino, which has no train connection, though.
Well yeah. Ciampino itself resembles a bus station. You very well can't have trains going to it - they'd be nicer than any flight that might depart from it.
Old Oct 28, 22, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like there is a nonstop to Termini every 15 minutes and it's 14 euro. Does anyone know if I buy a specific time ticket do I have to take that specific train?
Old Oct 28, 22, 2:51 pm

With a paper ticket, you would stamp it in a green device in the station before you board, making it valid for a limited time after stamping it. On a mobile device, I believe the ticket is valid for a limited time after the train you select, not just one train. They don’t reserve spots on the train, so you might as well not buy it until you’re at the airport.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 29, 22, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, it's important to validate (stamp at the little green box) tickets before boarding trains. Of course, I do something naughty and buy separate tickets (Malpensa - Busto Arsizio Nord, and Busto Arsizio Nord - Milano wherever (Centrale, Garibaldi), which brings the cost down to €8.10. But I have to get off the train at Busto Arsizio Nord and stamp the next ticket, which probably means waiting for a moment for the next train (although I have been pretty lucky about running like a rabbit back onto the same train before the doors close!) If you don't want the potential stress of this, just buy a normal ticket, but I find that the €6 saving adds up nicely over time.
Old Oct 31, 22, 11:28 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I still have the app I used to get a train ticket from central station to MXP earlier this year. .....
You might also want to give Omio (an app) a try. I used it early this year, and found it to be easy to use and helpful!
enviroian likes this.
Old Jan 23, 23, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like it's called the Leonardo Express

https://www.trenitalia.com/en/servic...o_airport.html

My departing flight on Sunday leaves at 8 am to LHR. Would you screw around in taking the train or just say the hell with it and take a taxi to FCO? Going rate for a taxi from Doubletree to FCO?

Search this Thread