Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Venice, Italy - Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Venice, Italy - Thoughts

I was just in Venice for 3 nights with two full days. My parents gave my nephew a two week trip to Europe for his high school graduation and I was the designated tour guide. Venice was on his list of places he wanted to see.

Normally, I am a mixed frugal/convenience traveler. But for this trip, I didn't want to spend a lot of time with transportation so that he could maximize the sightseeing.

Venice is a new city for me (my one day there, probably 10 years ago now, doesn't really count). As a result of this trip, if I were to return, I'd consider the following:
  • Stay on Lido di Venezia or in the Sant'Elena area. The cost savings for lodging (and likely meals) are tremendous (for decent properties including airbnb/vrbo). The public Venice vaporetto (water taxi) system is fantastic. A water taxi ride from Lido to Piazza San Marco is 15 minutes. And buy a multiday pass - I got my money's worth. I got to know Lido a bit by taking the water taxi to Lido and then taking a bus (fare included in the multiday pass) around a large part of Lido. And I understand Lido's beaches are fairly nice. With regards to Sant'Elena, Piazza San Marco is a 20 minute walk and I did notice a fair number of restaurants in the Sant'Elena area.
  • After seeing the beauty of the area, in the future I think the only way that I'd stay in the main area of Venice, would be if I had a room facing one of the major waterways, with the ability to sit in a chair with a glass of wine, and enjoy the sights. Otherwise, just having a room in the main area of Venice is pointless, IMHO.
  • If you intend to purchase groceries, bring a decent shopping bag with you. The bags at the groceries are very thin and have a per bag cost.
  • Research restaurants prior to arriving. There is a lot to chose from and when one is hungry, one tends not to be to particular about the restaurant choice!

Hopefully this information is helpful to someone!

Steve
fed planner likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I am surprised that you haven't had any feedback about this thread. I'm a bit stuck with hotels in Venice because they are mostly, including normally cheaper 1* properties, showing stupid prices for the month of October 2023. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
Old Sep 3, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
I'm a bit stuck with hotels in Venice because they are mostly, including normally cheaper 1* properties, showing stupid prices for the month of October 2023. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
Stay at Mestre (there are several decent hotels there, including a Four Points) and take the commuter train into Venice proper - it's cheap, runs frequently and takes 20 minutes.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have stayed at Guidecca island ( Hilton Molino Stucky) when I have been to venice ( I take the 12min public vaporetto to San Marco) but in october prices are high so agree with gojko88 and stay in Mestre and use the train. Whilst it removes some of the magic of staying in venice if you can save EUR200pn, that will go a long way.
There is also the AC hotel by marriott close to the piazzle roma car park which may be cheaper than other hotels in venice

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 5, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I have stayed at Guidecca island ( Hilton Molino Stucky) when I have been to venice ( I take the 12min public vaporetto to San Marco) but in october prices are high so agree with gojko88 and stay in Mestre and use the train. Whilst it removes some of the magic of staying in venice if you can save EUR200pn, that will go a long way.
There is also the AC hotel by marriott close to the piazzle roma car park which may be cheaper than other hotels in venice

Regards

TBS
I also Stayed there (Molino Stucky) when I was in Venice last but I remember that they had their own boat service to San Marco, which I took maybe a couple of times a day each way, for free. As a Hilton Gold (and using a free night voucher) they even upgraded me to a mini suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.