Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

FCO arrival in a pre-post-COVID world?

Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier

Hi! I'll be landing at FCO at 7:30 on a Sunday morning in July with my nine-year-old daughter. How long should it take to clear customs and immigration? Will I need proof of vaccination? Will my EU digital COVID certificate suffice? Am I correct that my daughter will not need any proof of vaccination? If she does, will a US CDC card showing two doses of Pfizer more than six months previous suffice?

Any changes with respect to advice on taking a taxi rather than an uber or car service into town? How about if I want to ensure my driver wears a mask?

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:10 am

July is still a long way off and many things can change. However, to the best of my knowledge:
  • Q: how long should it take to clear customs and immigration?
    • A: It depends on how many flights are landing before yours. With a 9-year-old in tow you might not be able to use the e-Gates, which in any case seem to befuddle most tourists, but let's factor in 45 minutes so that you can be surprised if it doesn't take that long.
  • Q: Will I need proof of vaccination?
    • A: the need for a Green Pass seems to be phased out from May, together with the PLF. My suggestion is to check the viaggiaresicuri (from Italy's foreign office) questionnaire in June or Sherpa. Don't do it now because you'll get the rules in place for today and by July things will have changed.
  • Q: Will my EU digital COVID certificate suffice?
    • A: see point above, but yes.
  • Q: Am I correct that my daughter will not need any proof of vaccination?
    • A: with the caveat that, based on what I understand from the latest news, PLFs and Green Passes are being phased out in May, if things don't change your daughter will need proof of vaccination. In Italy vaccines are approved for all children >6 years old.
  • Q: If she does, will a US CDC card showing two doses of Pfizer more than six months previous suffice?
    • A: notwithstanding the caveat above, the limit is 9 months for a double dose. US CDC handwritten scrap of paper will suffice.
  • Q: Any changes with respect to advice on taking a taxi rather than an uber or car service into town?
    • A: I haven't been in Rome in a while but down in Milan cab drivers were as crooked and hellbent on trying to wriggle out of giving a receipt as they've always been, so very little change I think. One minor improvement is that now they use apps like FreeNow so there's a little less chance of them ripping you off. Still, unless it's a massive pain in the neck I'd rather go on the train than give them $$$. Uber's almost gone as far as I know, it only remains as a NCC (luxury car transfer).
  • Q: How about if I want to ensure my driver wears a mask?
    • A: If, by July, the rule has elapsed it'll be super hard for you to enforce that. (And it seems it will be like that: the mandate on mask wearing on public transport runs up June 15th and is likely to be dropped thereafter).
Old Apr 29, 2022, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by 13901
  • A: It depends on how many flights are landing before yours. With a 9-year-old in tow you might not be able to use the e-Gates, which in any case seem to befuddle most tourists, but let's factor in 45 minutes so that you can be surprised if it doesn't take that long.
That seems like a decent estimate, at the moment. We went from plane exit to car in less than 30 minutes with baggage, but also had no line at the time. Customs clearing and baggage claim were very quick overall.

Originally Posted by 13901
  • Q: Any changes with respect to advice on taking a taxi rather than an uber or car service into town?
    • A: I haven't been in Rome in a while but down in Milan cab drivers were as crooked and hellbent on trying to wriggle out of giving a receipt as they've always been, so very little change I think. One minor improvement is that now they use apps like FreeNow so there's a little less chance of them ripping you off. Still, unless it's a massive pain in the neck I'd rather go on the train than give them $$$. Uber's almost gone as far as I know, it only remains as a NCC (luxury car transfer).
Flat rate for taxi into Rome city central is 50 euro, while a car service can range from 48 euro and above. We recently used Welcome Pickups for about 55 euro. Our driver, the car, and the service were great, while my brief interaction with the cab drivers at FCO for a ride to Fiumicino town was not particularly pleasant.
13901 likes this.

Last edited by BeachRat; Apr 29, 2022 at 8:04 am
Old May 1, 2022, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier
Very helpful. Thank you both. I’ve heard mixed things about Welcome Pickups. Anyone else try them at FCO? Thanks!
Old May 1, 2022, 12:33 am

The train's only 14 euros per person, takes about 30 minutes and leaves you downtown at Termini. It's air-conditioned, quick, and definitely not subject to traffic on the ring-road. If you're not planning to carry an inordinate amount of bags, or if your hotel isn't near Termini, or if you don't mind being scammed I'd go with the train.
obscure2k likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:10 pm

Passport control is pretty unpredictable at FCO. I've had it be backed up 15-20 mins before, as well as with no wait at all. Another time, the EU nationals line took longer than the non-EU, so everyone around me was angry and giving it to the 1 border officer staffing the EU line - further slowing it down! Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, you won't be able to use the e-gates if you're traveling with a child, since your child can't use the e-gates (have to be at least 14). I'm not sure of your passport situation, but if one of you has an EU passport but the rest do not, the staff at FCO are generally pretty okay letting all of you use the EU line together. But based on my experience, that doesn't always mean you're through faster!

We've done taxis and car service before. Taxis are flat rate to destinations within the city walls, so just look that up ahead of time just in case they try and overcharge you. That hasn't actually happened to me, but I can't say for sure if it's because I speak Italian. I can't really recommend a specific car service - our last two trips, we used Groundlink to arrange it, and the pandemic put them out of business. You can still use Uber, though, but only for the premium services. Still, I just opened the app and put in FCO to a random hotel in the middle of Rome and the Uber Black price is 50 euro, which I think is the same as a taxi. Given the choice, I'd do Uber Black.

Can't speak to vaccination requirements. We haven't been back since the pandemic.
obscure2k likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by pjrubindc
Very helpful. Thank you both. I’ve heard mixed things about Welcome Pickups. Anyone else try them at FCO? Thanks!
That may be the nature of the beast with all the apps/services, as I assume they all simply contract out to drivers and it depends on who your driver is. I’d still take them over a taxi any day. 13901 is certainly right about train being cheaper to Termini, including your daughter being free traveling with you, so it really comes down to cost versus door-to-door convenience.
13901 likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:20 am

What about green pass, something changed?
Old May 19, 2022, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Hi all, I'd love some help and advice. My husband and I and 11 year-old daughter are flying LHR to Venice on Tuesday, 5/24 (we are US citizens). He and I are vaccinated, but it's been more than 9 months since our most recent shot. My daughter is not vaccinated. We will all have negative PCR test results with us when we board the flight. Am I correct in thinking that that is all that we need to be admitted without quarantine? No PLF or anything else? Thank you!
Old May 20, 2022, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Hi all, I'd love some help and advice. My husband and I and 11 year-old daughter are flying LHR to Venice on Tuesday, 5/24 (we are US citizens). He and I are vaccinated, but it's been more than 9 months since our most recent shot. My daughter is not vaccinated. We will all have negative PCR test results with us when we board the flight. Am I correct in thinking that that is all that we need to be admitted without quarantine? No PLF or anything else? Thank you!
My understanding is that if you are fully vaxxed and boosted there isn’t the 9 month time limit. Your CDC vax card will work. Your daughter will need a negative test.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Correct, in case of no vaccine or not complete cycle it requires to show a negative Covid test, rapid antigen suffices, you can save the cost of PCR. https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nu...nu=vuoto&tab=1
JNelson113 likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by alliecat523
My understanding is that if you are fully vaxxed and boosted there isn’t the 9 month time limit. Your CDC vax card will work. Your daughter will need a negative test.
Thank you but I'm now in Italy and you must have had your most recent shot within 270 days or you must test.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by alliecat523
Currently, if you have received a booster there is no "expiration" date, regardless of when the booster was received.
BeachRat and 13901 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.