Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

FCO departures timing?

FCO departures timing?

Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:12 am
Original Poster

FCO departures timing?

Assuming US testing requirement is still in place next month, how early should we arrive at FCO for a direct flight to US? Flying J with checked bags.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by JMontpelier
Assuming US testing requirement is still in place next month, how early should we arrive at FCO for a direct flight to US? Flying J with checked bags.
I'm not sure what the testing requirement (whether in place or not) impacts when to arrive for a flight. Get your test done the day before and arrive before your flight as you would normally. Checking the test hasn't had an impact on check-in from my experience (I've flown out of MXP to USA twice in the last 6 months).
Old Apr 17, 2022, 8:34 am
Original Poster

The original question was confusing. For anyone who has departed FCO recently, how early did you arrive at the airport? We are not getting tested at the airport.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I can't speak specifically from FCO as I haven't gone through there recently but if MXP is similar I would recommend planning as you normally would.

For us, starting with AA's recommendation of 3 hours, we left our hotel about 2.5 hours before departure. We had checked bags & MXP Fast Track. Our flight was mid-AM and we stayed, as usual, at the MXP Sheraton so all we had to do is walk 5 minutes to the desk to check-in. 2.5 hours gives enough time to get to the desk, check-in, get through security, make the way to the lounge, shop duty free (optional) and relax for ~30 minutes before going to the gate for boarding (appx 1 hour before departure). This is pretty much the same as we did before Covid.

Will say the lounge in March was worse than the lounge in October as there was no liquor. Both cases, no tomato juice so no bloody mary either case, did have a screwdriver in October. Hopefully, this will get fixed shortly.

Last edited by JMN57; Apr 17, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:48 pm

The original question was confusing. For anyone who has departed FCO recently, how early did you arrive at the airport? We are not getting tested at the airport.
Ill let you know after tomorrow
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:45 pm

FYI, we just did this. Arrived 2:30 hours before flight time for a weekday morning UA flight. It took us 1:05 to get from arrival to gate. Had to go through 4 different passport checks, including an initial one that had no priority J line, a quick stop at VAT refund, border control, and a shuttle out to the E gates.

This was a stark contrast to our arrival, where we went from deplaning to airport exit (with baggage), in less than 30 minutes.
PremExecSNA and obscure2k like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by BeachRat
FYI, we just did this. Arrived 2:30 hours before flight time for a weekday morning UA flight. It took us 1:05 to get from arrival to gate. Had to go through 4 different passport checks, including an initial one that had no priority J line, a quick stop at VAT refund, border control, and a shuttle out to the E gates.

This was a stark contrast to our arrival, where we went from deplaning to airport exit (with baggage), in less than 30 minutes.
Appreciate the feedback.
Obscure2k
Italy Forum
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks, BeachRat. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.