SFO to FLR on 06/18 or 06/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO to FLR on 06/18 or 06/19

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by sydunipete
In support of some of the others don't rule out landing in FCO. Italy has an excellent high-speed train network and it's about 2 hours from Roma to Firenze. Also consider Milano. MXP is a fair way out of town, but LIN is very close (once I actually walked from LIN to Milano Centrale but I wouldn't recommend this approach - the buses run regularly and are cheap). There is also BGY but this is a fair way out of town and less likely to come into play.
The one kicker with the train+plane option is that in some cases it's a bit of a faff. For MXP you need to take first a suburban train from MXP to Centrale or Garibaldi; for LIN it's either a cab or the shuttle bus to C.le. There used to be a direct Frecciargento train from Firenze to FCO but upon checking on the Trenitalia website.. it's not there.

Oh, and most of this is a self connection so two different sets of tickets.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 8:48 am

There used to be a direct Frecciargento train from Firenze to FCO but upon checking on the Trenitalia website.. it's not there.
For these days (specifically tomorrow Feb. 4), I find that there is one, from Firenze Campo di Marte at 8.26 for that direction. As I posted above, from FCO to Florence the first direct train is well after most TATL arrivals and it might be preferable to go earlier with a change. There's no telling what the schedule will be in June; I remember that there was typically a direct train leaving FCO shortly after 11 a.m.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by rove312
For these days (specifically tomorrow Feb. 4), I find that there is one, from Firenze Campo di Marte at 8.26 for that direction. As I posted above, from FCO to Florence the first direct train is well after most TATL arrivals and it might be preferable to go earlier with a change. There's no telling what the schedule will be in June; I remember that there was typically a direct train leaving FCO shortly after 11 a.m.
Yeah they do tend to depart well after the early morning arrivals. The last time we did it, we had breakfast at the airport and hung out for a bit since our daughter was still a toddler and we had way more luggage than we wanted to change trains with. Depending on the time gap, getting a day room at the on-airport Hilton and having a nap and a shower wouldn't be the worst thing.

I'm looking around OP's dates now, and they're still on the schedule. This isn't really directed at you, but more everyone else searching Trenitalia's site. They don't put direct trains at the top of the sort order. They're sorted by time, so sometimes you have to scroll a bit to find the direct train. Attaching a screenshot for 6/10.

Looks like there's a Frecciarossa on there in the summer, which is sometimes a nicer train than the Frecciargento/Frecciabianca. I would definitely drop an extra 10 euro for business. Business is roughly equivalent to first class on other high speed trains. Executive is kind of its own class, and really nice if traveling alone or you want a full meal. IMHO for a 2 hour train ride post-redeye, Business/1st is great because you have a little extra space, more luggage space, and can just take a nap.

Last edited by PWMTrav; Feb 3, 2022 at 10:41 am
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:34 am

Ah, I was checking Firenze SMN. Campo di Marte is a bit further out away from the centre.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
Ah, I was checking Firenze SMN. Campo di Marte is a bit further out away from the centre.
It is a bit further out, but still only about 2km walking to the Duomo, just to mark it to a well known landmark. If you're staying toward the eastern half of the historic center, it's pretty convenient. If you're staying in/near the Santa Croce area, it's probably the more convenient station. If you walk, it's not bad - you do have to cross one major road, but the intersection is controlled IIRC. It is, however, right next to the complex where AC Fiorentina play, and super convenient if you're going up for a match.

Personally, I almost always prefer a train to Santa Maria Novella, but Campo di Marte isn't a disqualifier if it's the only reasonable option.

Also, given your post history, I'm just saying all of this to be helpful to people planning - I don't think you intended to say it was prohibitively distant, and you seem to know what you're talking about
13901 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 8:40 pm

Aha, it seems that route stops being searchable as of June 12. When trains start to show, don't count on the list being complete.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by 13901
The one kicker with the train+plane option is that in some cases it's a bit of a faff. For MXP you need to take first a suburban train from MXP to Centrale or Garibaldi; for LIN it's either a cab or the shuttle bus to C.le. There used to be a direct Frecciargento train from Firenze to FCO but upon checking on the Trenitalia website.. it's not there.

Oh, and most of this is a self connection so two different sets of tickets.
Agreed. I depends how confident the OP is in schlepping their bags, buying tickets etc in exchange for more flight options. The train journey from Roma is particularly beautiful and offers a good view of a well manicured American war cemetery not long before reaching Firenze (on the left).
PWMTrav and 13901 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:22 pm

Aha, it seems that route stops being searchable as of June 12. When trains start to show, don't count on the list being complete.
It's the most annoying 'feature' of Trenitalia's booking system. The winter schedule runs from the second week in December to the first week in June, and then the summer picks up. The issue is that very often the load the schedule very close to the date.

Originally Posted by PWMTrav

Also, given your post history, I'm just saying all of this to be helpful to people planning - I don't think you intended to say it was prohibitively distant, and you seem to know what you're talking about
Indeed, it's just so the OP has a clear view. There
PWMTrav likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:50 pm

The FCO website has train information here: https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-.../pax-fco-train

I wouldn't exactly rely on the timetable for the high speed trains (at the very bottom) - always go with what Trenitalia is actually selling. However, FWIW, these have been the times for a while now.

Frecciarossa: four High Speed trains, two arriving and two departing, connect the Leonardo Da Vinci Airport daily with the cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice, without and intermediate train changes.

Departure from Fiumicino airport: 11:08 and 15:08
Arrival at Fiumicino airport: 09:52 and 13:52
Minimum duration of the trip to Fiumicino Airport:
2h 14' from Florence S.M.N.
2h 57' from Bologna C.le
3h 59' from Padua
4h 15' from Venice M.

Frecciargento: two High Speed trains, one arriving and one departing, connect the Leonardo Da Vinci Airport daily with the cities of Rome, Florence, Pisa, La Spezia and Genoa, without and intermediate train changes.
Departure from Fiumicino airport: 19:08
Arrival at Fiumicino airport: 10:37
Minimum duration of the trip to Fiumicino Airport:
1h 55’ from Florence C.D.M.
2h 47' From Pisa C.le
3h 28' from La Spezia C.le
4h 27' from Genoa P.P.
I've not been keeping a close eye by any means, but the 7pm train is an addition over the years, and the two earlier departures have been at those times for years. In fact, I just pulled up a ticket in my email from May 2015 and we took the 11:08 train It was a Frecciargento back then, so enjoy the upgraded service if you take either of the Frecciarossa departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.