Reload this Page >

MXP to Hilton Milan via train?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MXP to Hilton Milan via train?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:14 pm

The Scala also has (had?) a small, yet interesting museum dealing with opera and the theatre itself. Last time I was there was more than 20 years ago, I hope, for the sake of opera lovers, that it still exists.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
40th Avenue? You walked all the way from Queens? 😀 (Though I don't think 8th Street in Queens intersects with 40th Ave.)
LOL Apparently I got the ave/st screwed up . I was at the Distrikt Hotel which would have been 8th ave and 40th st.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What is the name of the app? Also if tickets are only valid 3 hours from train time I assume I should only buy them when I land at MXP?

thanks
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by enviroian
What is the name of the app? Also if tickets are only valid 3 hours from train time I assume I should only buy them when I land at MXP?

thanks

https://www.trenitalia.com/en/purchase/mobile_ticketing.html
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:34 pm

thanks
Trenitalia app

No, purchase time =/= train time. You can buy today a ticket for a train leaving tomorrow at 10.00. The ticket is valid for 3 hours from 10.00, though I happened to board a train earlier than the one I'd purchased and no one said anything. This is common for all train types (S-lines, Regio, RV) for which seat reservation isn't needed.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:34 am

You can buy today a ticket for a train leaving tomorrow at 10.00.
But if your flight arrival is delayed until after 13.00, your train ticket is lost, so that would be a reason to wait until after your flight arrives to buy the train ticket.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
But if your flight arrival is delayed until after 13.00, your train ticket is lost, so that would be a reason to wait until after your flight arrives to buy the train ticket.
Right. Same analogy when I buy a southeastern ticket from St Pancras to Ashford in the UK. I can get a pretty cheap rate if I choose a specific time but because I'm flying into LHR my flight may be delayed so I buy a less restrictive ticket (and also more expensive).
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
My approach for the train from Malpensa to Milano Centrale is to use the app and buy the ticket when the flight has landed or when I'm waiting for luggage or whatever.
It does help to look up the schedules so you know if you might want to hustle to get the next train.
The signage is perfectly clear.

My own personal favorite thing to do in Milan (besides eat and shop for food to take home) is to climb up to the Duomo roof. Ticket availability varies and I think you can book on line.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 1:40 am

To the risk of stating the obvious, be mindful that this strategy might backfire on those trains that aren't free-seating (Frecciarossa, Frecciargento, Frecciabianca, IC, Italo) as they have dynamic pricing.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by 13901
To the risk of stating the obvious, be mindful that this strategy might backfire on those trains that aren't free-seating (Frecciarossa, Frecciargento, Frecciabianca, IC, Italo) as they have dynamic pricing.
definitely. But for the specific train in question ( Malpensa to Milano Centrale), the fare is fixed.
13901 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
Should be clear with English signage; you want the train to Milano Centrale. You can buy tickets at a staffed booth or a machine nearby. You can search YouTube Malpensa airport to Milano centrale station and there are videos showing the whole route.
looks like there’s a train every 13-15 minutes. Easy!

Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:22 pm

But watch out for the ones saying "1 change...Urban transport not included..."! They're actually routing you to Cadorna to connect to the metro to Centrale. To go directly from the airport to Centrale in the morning, you should should take the trains at 13 or 43 past the hour.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:08 am

Indeed. As mentioned upthread, the directs to Centrale are once every 30'. See in your screenshot, there are some with '1 change' and the Trenitalia app WILL NOT sell you the urban ticket.
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trip change!

Due to the crazy weather approaching DFW I am leaving to MXP a day earlier and now arrive into LIN instead Thursday night (rather than MXP Friday morning). I will look for a hotel at LIN for Thursday night and check into the Hilton lunch time Friday. That being said, it appears LIN is much closer to the Hilton than MXP. Uber or taxi the best way to go?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:51 am

Due to the crazy weather approaching DFW I am leaving to MXP a day earlier and now arrive into LIN instead Thursday night (rather than MXP Friday morning). I will look for a hotel at LIN for Thursday night and check into the Hilton lunch time Friday. That being said, it appears LIN is much closer to the Hilton than MXP. Uber or taxi the best way to go?
  1. There aren't hotels within walking distance from LIN - I mean, there's a couple but you might be better off going to the Hilton anyway, it's not a million miles away
  2. There's a 5€ shuttle bus linking LIN (stop here) to Milan Centrale (stop here). Pay the fiver to the driver. From there to the Hilton is a measly 650 metres. The station square isn't known for its savoury characters but considering that Dallas' murder rate is 6x higher the one of the entire Lombardy region... you'll be alright.
  3. Uber isn't that well used anymore in Italy. If you cannot be bothered with the bus, then there'll be plenty of taxis outside. You can also use the FreeNow App. Taxis in Milan don't have a set tariff for the LIN-City service, which then allows those crooks thieves bloodsuckers enterprising folks to prey on the gullible and the tourists. I'd not want to spend more than 30€ on a cab and outside of peak hours you shouldn't.
Landing in LIN is a piece of cake. If you're transferring from LHR it'll be a remote stand, bus to the terminal, stay by the door on the left hand side of the bus so that you can zoom out ahead of everyone and hit the passport control first.

there's also a city bus and, in a couple of years, a metro station but... those are the main ways of getting there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.