Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

"Green passport" enforced from Aug 8. How can US citizens get one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Green passport" enforced from Aug 8. How can US citizens get one?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by jnyeung
No problems whatsoever in Rome. You need the green pass to sit inside restaurants or go to museums,.
in Rome, they were ready, not a single issue when we showed our CDC cards, same at the Vatican museums,
on the local news, plenty of mentions about the 5 countries whose vaccination certificates are given equivalent recognitions to the green pass: US, Canada, Israel, Japan, UK

Unlike France, it seems the green pass has been accepted well by the local populace.
I have an acquaintance that was in Naples yesterday and tried to get into a night club with his CDC card. Turned away. They insisted on a QR code for entry. I think since it's such a new requirement its possible not all establishments will know the CDC card is valid even if the Italian government says it's good. I'm flying to Rome today, so will report back any issues.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:16 am

My old man went out for dinner yesterday with my brother and his family, smalltown in NW Italy. All green-passed with just a cursory glance.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
We have the US CDC card.

Went out in Cortona today. None of the stores checked. Only museum and restaurant. Museum hesitated at first but accepted it once she read the card. Restaurant hostess went and checked with the boss but he looked at the card quickly and waived us in. We did need to provide our name and phone number. Assumed for contact tracing as they also asked the group ahead of us.

Will be in lake como area in a few days. Will report back if anything noteworthy.

​​​
LETTERBOY and polyesther like this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
We had dinner al fresco in Portovenere tonight but there were people seating inside the restaurant and they weren’t asked to produce any pass. On the way to find the car I did see another bar which had a sign “Controllo Green Pass” at the entrance, though.

So far the only Covid-related controls we’ve had in +2 weeks in northern Italy have been a temperature check before entering the Galleria Nazionale (Pilotta Palace) in Parma, and a request to fill out an “autodichiarazione” with our names and phone numbers at the Baia Blu beach club near Lerici.

Let’s see what happens from now.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
For EU citizens, how does one convert their non-EU COVID vaccination to an EU digital certificate in Italy, say at Milan or Rome airport? Can it be done at an airport pharmacy or doctor?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Marambio
We had dinner al fresco in Portovenere tonight but there were people seating inside the restaurant and they weren’t asked to produce any pass. On the way to find the car I did see another bar which had a sign “Controllo Green Pass” at the entrance, though.

So far the only Covid-related controls we’ve had in +2 weeks in northern Italy have been a temperature check before entering the Galleria Nazionale (Pilotta Palace) in Parma, and a request to fill out an “autodichiarazione” with our names and phone numbers at the Baia Blu beach club near Lerici.

Let’s see what happens from now.
Jealous of dinner in Portovenere and going to Lerici (you'll find me at the par 3 course overlooking the Bay of Poets more often than the beach club).

We're two weeks away from returning to our house in Italy and really looking forward to la dolce far niente for a couple of months!
Marambio likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Marambio
We had dinner al fresco in Portovenere
[joke] Didn't know Portovenere had a) a prison and b) allowed people to stay only for dinner [/joke]

https://dizionario.internazionale.it/parola/al-fresco
Marambio, JMN57, :D! and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Quick update from Rome. So far no issues with CDC card as green pass at Vatican, Pantheon, and other places.
SanDiego1K, mechteach and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:35 am

The Sole 24 Ore is reporting that, after August 15th, Sicily, Sardinia and Tuscany might move from White to Yellow. It'll be decided on August 13th.

For Sicily this is due to a "nice" combo of failures: lowest number of vaccinations, highest number of cases, of hospitalisations and deaths in Italy. Sardinia and Tuscany might be following because their cases/100,000 are above the 100 threshold. Yellow area would means limits to the number of people dining in places, obligatory masks and limits to the number of attendees to weddings and the like.

• Venerdě 13 agosto, il giorno della prossima cabina di regia, la Sicilia saprŕ se entrerŕ in zona gialla ma dai dati dell’ultimo report settimanale il ritorno delle restrizioni appare piů che probabile. La Sicilia ha il record di positivi, di ospedalizzazioni, di decessi ed č ultima nella graduatoria delle vaccinazioni in quasi tutte le fasce d’etŕ. Con il tasso di occupazione dei posti letto ospedalieri al 14% (il limite č 15%) basta un punto percentuale in piů per tornare ad indossare obbligatoriamente le mascherine in pubblico, mentre per quanto riguarda le attivitŕ di bar, pub e ristoranti, viene permesso di rimanere aperti, anche a cena, ma con un limite di 4 persone per tavolo (se non conviventi) sia all’aperto che al chiuso. Regola valida anche per le feste e i ricevimenti di matrimonio. Nessun problema per gli spostamenti tra Regioni, che rimangono liberi. “Tutte le regioni a vocazione turistica rischiano di lasciare la zona bianca - premette l’assessore alla Salute della regione Siciliana Ruggero Razza - Fino alla fine della stagione in Sicilia fra turisti e siciliani che tornano sull’Isola per le ferie avremo 2 milioni di presenza in piů”. Non solo. Secondo l’Agenzia nazionale per i servizi sanitari regionali (Agenas), in una nuova sezione del monitoraggio quotidiano dedicata a uno degli indicatori previsti nei nuovi parametri che determinano il passaggio in zona gialla delle regioni, č di 68,91 a livello nazionale, il numero di contagi settimanali da Sars-Cov-2 per 100.000 abitanti, relativi alla settimana 2-8 agosto, in crescita rispetto ai 63,65 registrati dal 26 luglio al primo agosto. Ma 3 regioni superano quota 100: Sardegna (142,03), Toscana (119,73) e Sicilia (104,55).
https://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/coro...cinati-AESXGGc
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Just for reference, in Florence a few days ago my “green pass” was checked at the entrance of Uffizi Gallery, Galleria dell’Accademia and the Duomo. The Duomo surprised me as I would have expected places of worship to be exempt. No problems showing European QR codes.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Quick update. No problems with US CDC white card in Rome, Siena, Florence, or Pisa. The most thorough inspection was at a Burger King. LOL Others just glanced at it and didn't require a matching ID.
SanDiego1K and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 9:49 am

Another positive datapoint with CDC cards.

Bologna and Pesaro. No problem at all in restaurants. They just glance at the card.

In museums or theatres they look at the dates carefully and ask to see an ID, which is very reasonable (I'm a Spanish citizen, but rather than my national identity card I show them my California Real ID to avoid possible confusion). Here in Pesaro, with the Rossini Opera Festival, everybody is very aware of the rule and familiar with these cards (they even have a fair number of US-based artists).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Yllanes
Another positive datapoint with CDC cards.

Bologna and Pesaro. No problem at all in restaurants. They just glance at the card.

In museums or theatres they look at the dates carefully and ask to see an ID, which is very reasonable (I'm a Spanish citizen, but rather than my national identity card I show them my California Real ID to avoid possible confusion). Here in Pesaro, with the Rossini Opera Festival, everybody is very aware of the rule and familiar with these cards (they even have a fair number of US-based artists).
Did you make it to Macerata for the earlier operas there this summer? The Sferisterio is a wonderful (repurposed) venue for an opera.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:09 am

Not this year. I've had to keep the trip simple/short for several reasons.
JMN57 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:26 am

Another update. Pesaro went fine, but in Urbino I had a little more difficulty. The staff in museums and other places were aware of the law that US certificates are allowed, but had never seen one. And the CDC cards don't look very "official". A guy kept looking at it sayin "I'm trying to find some seal or something that tells me the issuing authority". I still got in, but I had to convince them in several places (I believe my California ID helped to convince them I was not an Italian with a fake card, if you go in there speaking English/with a US passport you might have an easier time). I still would not worry about travelling to Italy with just the CDC card, awareness will only increase and the more popular destinations are used to them already.

Halfway through my day in Pesaro I received a QR code from France (I am visiting in two weeks and used the email address they have set up to convert foreign certificates from tourists). It made things smoother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.