Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

"Green passport" enforced from Aug 8. How can US citizens get one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Green passport" enforced from Aug 8. How can US citizens get one?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:20 am

Short answer: No. The government is releasing a load of additional measures that have a wider range of applications than allowing non-EU tourists in (providing ample and cheap access to tests for those who haven't been able to vaccinate yet, who can be exempt and so on). The government has been saying that they'll provide means to recognise other countries' vaccinations by month's end, which is this week (they've been mostly referring to Italian citizens vaccinated outside of the EU though).

Longer answer: I think US tourists will be fine, barring any retaliatory bombshell given that Biden is still banning EU travellers of all kind from the US. If you look at the EU regulation - which trumps local laws - Regulation EU 2021/953 institutes the Green Pass Framework. EU 2021/954 adds on to that and says:

Member States shall apply the rules laid down in Regulation (EU) 2021/953 to third-country nationals who do not fall within the scope of that Regulation, but who are legally staying or residing in their territory and who are entitled to travel to other Member States in accordance with Union law.
So my reading is that it will be OK. In my sleuthing I found a letter from the Italian federation of GPs to its members that says the following (rough translation below):

č del tutto evidente che le certificazioni di vaccinazione rilasciate dagli Stati membri nonché dai Paesi terzi e conformi a quanto previsto dall'art. 5 del Regolamento UE 2021/953 debbano considerarsi valide e documenti di prova dell'avvenuta vaccinazione ai fini delle attivitą di Sanitą pubblica nonché di libera circolazione dei soggetti vaccinati. Tuttavia, ai fini del rilascio delle certificazioni verdi COVID-19 si devono attendere gli atti delegati previsti dal quadro normativo innanzi richiamato.
it's evident that vaccine certificates compliant with Art. 5 of EU regulation 2021/953 provided by EU member states and other countries must be considered valid [...] however, in order to release Green passes, we must wait for further ancillary acts announced by the government
https://fimmg.bari.it/articoli/9PB6F
fbcooper likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Over on the France forum, it appears the French Government starting August 2nd will provide European QR codes to select non-French people (Expansion of the pass sanitaire - Page 14 - FlyerTalk Forums). I happen to live in California, and have a vaccination QR code from the state. It appears from that forum, that such a QR code would be accepted and turned into a European QR code. Would that European code then be accepted in Italy? I'm currently leaving for Italy, via CDG, on August 7th. So I'm hoping this is maybe a 'back door' method to get a QR code which I can use while in Italy.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:30 am

Short and sweet (well sour) answer: don't know.

I tried the same 'fudge' with my UK NHS certificate, which generated a QR code on the French pass, but the Italian covid checker app refused it. It seems that the code generated by the French app for these 'overseas' certificates is not quite the EU one. Go figure.

The ministry of health promised and swore that they'll release more info by the end of the current month - i.e. tomorrow. Knowing them, and based on what they did in the past, this will happen at 16.59 tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately these measures are done on very short notice... which is frustrating.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
The ministry of health promised and swore that they'll release more info by the end of the current month - i.e. tomorrow. Knowing them, and based on what they did in the past, this will happen at 16.59 tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately these measures are done on very short notice... which is frustrating.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully tomorrow they will provide more info and I can then make an informed decision about going (or not) on August 7th to FCO.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 7:45 am

I'm in the same boat, I've got to do a tour of several clients/partners in Milan's industrial hinterland at the beginning of August before they all disappear on holiday... So if Speranza can get cracking I'd be very obliging.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
New decree is out. You will be able to provide digital or paper based evidence of having recovered from Covid-19 or of vaccination with a vaccine recognised by EMA.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ringingup
New decree is out. You will be able to provide digital or paper based evidence of having recovered from Covid-19 or of vaccination with a vaccine recognised by EMA.
Any mention how they handle foreign vaccine proof such as US CDC card or California QR code?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yngdiego
Any mention how they handle foreign vaccine proof such as US CDC card or California QR code?
Not really. My guess is that any evidence that has worked so far will keep being accepted.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:20 pm

Full file here: https://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_...580_0_file.pdf

I'm a bit in a rush but it says that certificates from the abovementioned states are valid and can be shown in digital or paper format.
frb98mf likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; LATAM Black; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
Originally Posted by 13901
Full file here: https://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_...580_0_file.pdf

I'm a bit in a rush but it says that certificates from the abovementioned states are valid and can be shown in digital or paper format.
Written in the usual hermetic Italian bureaucratic style... Are you sure this applies to bars & restaurants, rather than just to entry into Italy?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Italian_Kayaker
Written in the usual hermetic Italian bureaucratic style... Are you sure this applies to bars & restaurants, rather than just to entry into Italy?
Short and sweet: yes in my reading.
Spoiler

So if you are American, you have your hand-scribbled teacher note saying you have had your covid vaccine... it's all good. Of course, I invite others to check the sources here as I'm not a lawyer, just a reader.

However, and frustratingly, visitors from the UK would still need to do the 5 day self isolation AND have a test done 48h prior to entering the country which is a mighty pain in the arse for me.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by 13901; Jul 30, 2021 at 4:50 am
Old Jul 30, 2021, 4:26 pm

Latest from Italian goverment regarding

Italian nationals returning to Italy and foreigners in Italy (esteri.it)

In regards to the green pass it states that :
"The certificates issued by the competent Canadian, Japanese, Israeli, UK and US authorities are considered equivalent to the European green pass"

More details at the link above
Yllanes and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Originally Posted by italiancal
Latest from Italian goverment regarding

Italian nationals returning to Italy and foreigners in Italy (esteri.it)

In regards to the green pass it states that :
"The certificates issued by the competent Canadian, Japanese, Israeli, UK and US authorities are considered equivalent to the European green pass"

More details at the link above
basically the same information give to me by the Italian consulate (the Consul himself, in fact) - friends on the ground that went over earlier in the summer have said they have no problems at all with the CDC card, so far... But it does help to speak Italian and give yourself some extra time, I should think. In smaller locales people will likely be more friendly; in touristic masses (Rome, Florence, Venice) be prepared and have continguency plans, although I would imagine there will be far fewer problems than one thinks.
Rapid antigen tests are also available widely through the country, including in smaller 'cittą d'arte' (a.e. Gubbio, Urbino) for a modest fee (I believe 25EUR).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:23 pm

Any boots on the ground update? Heard from an American friend over there that it's a complete disaster in Spoleto, but don't know what that actually means.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, JB, AF, BA, QF, JL, CX
No problems whatsoever in Rome. You need the green pass to sit inside restaurants or go to museums,.
in Rome, they were ready, not a single issue when we showed our CDC cards, same at the Vatican museums,
on the local news, plenty of mentions about the 5 countries whose vaccination certificates are given equivalent recognitions to the green pass: US, Canada, Israel, Japan, UK

Unlike France, it seems the green pass has been accepted well by the local populace.
SanDiego1K and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by jnyeung; Aug 7, 2021 at 5:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.