Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

How are restaurants handling the new covid rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg

I'll be visiting Venice in a couple of weeks and I've read the Italian govt guidelines for hotels and restaurants during the pandemic. They are to avoid self-serve buffets, things that make people congregate in groups, etc.
I'm wondering how that's playing out in practice? I assume no self-serve nibbles at the bar? Are restaurants cancelling buffet breakfasts?
Old Jul 26, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I will be in Venice ( at the Hilton ) from the 8th Aug and will post during my stay

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Heh. I'm arriving on the 9th!
Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: LH SEN, AZ CFA
Strange to say, rules are generally respected in restaurants.
No buffets, everything is sealed, waiters wearing masks etc...
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 9:48 am

Don't know about self-serves, but all restaurants/bars I've seen are respecting 1mt social distancing, waiters have masks, Plexiglas barriers have been erected in obvious zones such as tills and bars and people wear masks to go inside (unless when drinking or eating). The overwhelming majority of places I've eaten at offered outside dining (please-oh-please don't call it al fresco, it's actually an old slang term to define the act of being locked up in prison) and punters were favouring that option a lot more than eating inside.
watersign likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 13901
Don't know about self-serves, but all restaurants/bars I've seen are respecting 1mt social distancing, waiters have masks, Plexiglas barriers have been erected in obvious zones such as tills and bars and people wear masks to go inside (unless when drinking or eating). The overwhelming majority of places I've eaten at offered outside dining (please-oh-please don't call it al fresco, it's actually an old slang term to define the act of being locked up in prison) and punters were favouring that option a lot more than eating inside.
For those that don't know - it's al di fuori (outside) or simply fuori (out). Hopefully, a proper phrase can displace a wrong one (al fresco).
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by JMN57
For those that don't know - it's al di fuori (outside) or simply fuori (out). Hopefully, a proper phrase can displace a wrong one (al fresco).
Or, in Piedmont, since they're fancy and pretend to be French... nel dehors.
watersign and JMN57 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Stayed on Burano at the weekend and apart from waiters wearing face masks there was little difference as it was warm summer evenings so everybody outside.

Riva Rosa had quite a sparse menu with many items unavailable, tables spaced about 1.5m apart and a group of 7 were turned away but I think that was because they wanted to eat on the terrace which probably cannot take that many now (and they had not reserved).

Venessa was fully booked (Sunday) and the waiters face masks did make the wine commentary quite hard to follow. Had breakfast indoors were the table spacing was more like 2m and capacity probably around 50% but with only 10 rooms on the island not a problem.

In Venice most of the restaurants we passed were busy with the majority of people sitting outside. It's a good time to go right now although social distancing on the Vaparrettos' is a challenge as it seems many tourists are buying the day passes and using the water buses rather than walking.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi

Having breakfast at the Hilton now.

Pastries juice and water are at the table. You see the menu via the qr code and order. It is pretty much a hot and cold buffet with some reduced choices all delivered to your table

Regards

Tbs
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Now I'm here: Ca'sagredo still doing a (limited) buffet indoors; guests sitting to eat outdoors. Restaurants have varied in mask adherence but most making some effort. The QR code is offered at some places but not all.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Sounds like all the more reason not to go to a chain hotel with buffet breakfasts.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Sounds like all the more reason not to go to a chain hotel with buffet breakfasts.

Hi,

At the hilton ,everyone was wearing masks ( apart from when eating). Also when I was there the dining room ( only one of several) was lucky to get to 40% occupancy over the week so a good deal of social distancing)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 20, 2020, 4:09 am
Suspended

Italy post covid

Good to know! I am taking a trip there soon.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jasonation
Good to know! I am taking a trip there soon.
I'm hoping to go in mid-September if the rules aren't tightened. It sounds almost civilised!
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I'm hoping to go in mid-September if the rules aren't tightened. It sounds almost civilised!
Hi,

Enjoy,

In Venice where restaurants had both indoor and outdoor seating, the vast majority were seating outside. The waiters all wore masks and the hitton breakfast was almost as good as the full buffet as everything was brought to you.

Wish I had booked a 2nd week off now!

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.