Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus Update: Travel Ban extends to entire country

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Our Sicily cycling trip in April, and a couple of days in Rome, do not look very likely at this point. We're not especially worried about the virus, but we are concerned that we could be stuck in Italy for weeks on end.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhuey
we are concerned that we could be stuck in Italy for weeks on end.
Sounds like heaven to me if you can afford it.
iapetus likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: too many
Sardinia last weekend was lovely: 2 full rows on Ryanair for the 4 of us, an alfa Romeo Stelvio for €50 all in for the weekend, we were the only clients in the hotel, no crowded restaurants (apart from one beach bar in Proetto)...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:36 pm

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...avirus-spreads

Travel ban now extends to the entire country.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please note that I have changed the title of this thread to reflect that the travel ban extends to entire country
Obscure2k
Italy
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:47 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Now that a beloved country goes through the most difficult times since the second world war, we shall pray for our Italian friends reassuring them that we will be back as soon as appropriate to stand up again together.

May this huge ordeal help the most creative and fantastic people in the world to put also a zest of discipline and civism in their lives. We are all Europeans!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Are current visitors stuck in Italy?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
There's just so much uncertainty in the world right now, especially in Italy. So many people in limbo. 🙏
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:12 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by david22
Definitely not, everybody (including Italians) is allowed to go home. Also movements for work, medical treatment and essential reasons are allowed. Airports and train stations are open. Goods can circulate. There are no red zones, the whole country is protected zone, but you can leave it.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to belittle other folks concerns and circumstances, I could see getting stuck in Italy as an opportunity.
What I'm wondering is whether once the virus becomes no longer novel and people go back to traveling just like they done for years during flu season, do you think there'll be a "hangover" and generally overcrowded destinations like Venice will have at least a while where tourism will be at what would be considered sustainable levels?
I'm seriously thinking of booking some travel to popular destinations in autumn hoping that a lot of people will still be too scared to go to Italy.
wrp96 and Global Adventurer like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Cancelled Tickets to Italy

United just added Rome (and other cities) to their cancel list. I called United and cancelled my flights. They told me I have 1 year from the initial ticketed date to complete travel or request a refund. I had Z fare tickets. I am not going to fly by 31 July of this year so I requested a refund. I’ll update you with the status of the refund.

Last edited by adventures_await; Mar 10, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by david22
No, not necessarily however many US flights are now cancelled.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
Not to belittle other folks concerns and circumstances, I could see getting stuck in Italy as an opportunity.
What I'm wondering is whether once the virus becomes no longer novel and people go back to traveling just like they done for years during flu season, do you think there'll be a "hangover" and generally overcrowded destinations like Venice will have at least a while where tourism will be at what would be considered sustainable levels?
I'm seriously thinking of booking some travel to popular destinations in autumn hoping that a lot of people will still be too scared to go to Italy.
I've definitely thought about this. If my upcoming trip to Italy is cancelled, I'll be rescheduling for early fall. It would be like heaven without all those tourists. Contrary to what some folks say, about a lot of places may be closed, that's ok with me as long as I can find a grocery store. Just looking around and exploring is my thing.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Unfortunately, I bought tickets for the Colosseum and Vatican to visit in April, but I got advised that there will be NO refund.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I changed my trip this week for a trip in late May (a friend's birthday plus my normal business stuff) but I am hesitant to book anything else given the uncertainty. All my friends (that I have been in touch with) seem ok, but there are some hospital horror stories (e.g., Bergamo) and I would not want to risk getting sick there at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.