Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Update: Travel Ban extends to entire country

Coronavirus Update: Travel Ban extends to entire country

Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by behuman
Very interesting graph, thank you Global Adventurer, means that all will flatten out in about three weeks in Italy.

I would be more worried about the US, where so many people hesitate going to see a doctor given the high cost and the lack of insurance. Health should be a human right and in Italy it is, which can make us optimistic.

I think we can safely plan anything in Europe after Easter, but should be aware of something big to come from the US.
I agree. The U.S. is going to explode with cases mainly due to people who never go to the hospital and don't have any insurance, no fault of their own, while they infect everyone around them.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
They have since raised the level to 4 (Do No Travel) in the main northern parts of Italy.
Would you please let us know where you're seeing this? I'm not seeing anywhere above level 3 for COVID-19 from the CDC.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by iapetus
Would you please let us know where you're seeing this? I'm not seeing anywhere above level 3 for COVID-19 from the CDC.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...s/Italy.html#/

February 29, 2020 Reconsider travel to Italy due to a recent outbreak of COVID-19 Level 4 – Do Not Travel to: Lombardy and Veneto due to the level of community transmission of the virus and imposition of local quarantine procedures. Country-Specific Information: Italy has confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders. The CDC has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Alert for Italy, recommending travelers practice enhanced precautions. Entry ...
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
ckendall

I was just ready to reply with the same info. Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Thanks, ckendall and Global Adventurer! I'm a little confused, though. The CDC only mentions the nation-wide level 3 status for Italy; I'm not seeing a level 4 status for northern Italy from the CDC. And it looks like you have to drill down a bit to get the regional level 4 notice for Lombardy and Veneto from the State Department. Obviously, the State Department and the CDC don't have to coordinate their warnings, but it does make me wonder if all of Italy is due for a general level 4 status from one or both.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by iapetus
Thanks, ckendall and Global Adventurer! I'm a little confused, though. The CDC only mentions the nation-wide level 3 status for Italy; I'm not seeing a level 4 status for northern Italy from the CDC. And it looks like you have to drill down a bit to get the regional level 4 notice for Lombardy and Veneto from the State Department. Obviously, the State Department and the CDC don't have to coordinate their warnings, but it does make me wonder if all of Italy is due for a general level 4 status from one or both.
The way it's spreading, and even in Rome now, the entire country, unfortunately could be a level 4 this week. I think it's just a matter of time.

On edit: The Dept of State advisories override CDCs. Whatever the state department post, is what all travelers need to use for traveling purposes, regardless if there are diseases present or not.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very interesting graph, thank you Global Adventurer, means that all will flatten out in about three weeks in Italy.
I saw this and had to take a double take with what you might be thinking with “that all will flatten out” with regards to Italy.
The numbers involved are exponential, on a log scale from 1 to 10 to 100 to 1,000 and so on. Italy is a MUCH smaller country than China yet it’s following the same curve, and these are actual cases, not percentages. It’s almost like looking at the Japanese Earthquake measuring system and discussing how it tends to “flatten out” at M9 - but that’s overly, overly simplified. There is much, much more to this, but this reaction to the graph has knocked me for six.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:55 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by LapLap
I saw this and had to take a double take with what you might be thinking with “that all will flatten out” with regards to Italy.
Your calculation is of course right and by "flatten" out I mean that with a peak around 20 March, the number of new cases will decrease. There could be easily 20 - 30 k cases EU wide by then with close to 1000 death. This is less than people dying on EU roads within the same time frame.

The quick increase at the beginning is most possibly due to "overscreening" in Italy after they have been sleeping for more than one month.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your calculation is of course right and by "flatten" out I mean that with a peak around 20 March, the number of new cases will decrease. There could be easily 20 - 30 k cases EU wide by then with close to 1000 death. This is less than people dying on EU roads within the same time frame.

The quick increase at the beginning is most possibly due to "overscreening" in Italy after they have been sleeping for more than one month.
Have to say that I don’t agree with any of this, but I’d like to discover that I am wrong, wrong, wrong. Feel free to post an “I told you so” in two weeks time. I’ll be delighted to see it.
behuman likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:00 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Reporting from The NY Times :
"RIGHT NOW Italy has ordered all schools, from day care through university, closed at least through March 15".
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Reporting from The NY Times :
"RIGHT NOW Italy has ordered all schools, from day care through university, closed at least through March 15".
And right now they have at least 148 deaths! That's massive for the size of their country in such a short period of time.

I've read that scientists have discovered that there is now two strains of Coronavirus, and one is is more severe. Looks like maybe Italy has the worse strain?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:49 am
Suspended

And right now they have at least 148 deaths! That's massive for the size of their country in such a short period of time.

I've read that scientists have discovered that there is now two strains of Coronavirus, and one is is more severe. Looks like maybe Italy has the worse strain?
Not that bad actually for a population of 60 million people, with almost a quarter of it being elderly. Not to count their current government and outdated health care system. More than 148 people die in Italy everyday from many other causes which could even be preventable.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcbg1
Not that bad actually for a population of 60 million people, with almost a quarter of it being elderly. Not to count their current government and outdated health care system. More than 148 people die in Italy everyday from many other causes which could even be preventable.
As an American who has had to avail himself of the Italian health care system, I certainly wouldn't call it "outdated". Not in medium sized cities, anyway. To me it seemed streamlined by comparison to ERs in the States.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by mcbg1
I'm looking at the number of people who had no hope in recovering because there is no treatment for this disease. They're just basically waiting to die of no fault of their own. Hundreds of more are in line unfortunately.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:12 am
Suspended

I'm looking at the number of people who had no hope in recovering because there is no treatment for this disease. They're just basically waiting to die of no fault of their own. Hundreds of more are in line unfortunately.
That is very dramatic and there is treatment for this disease. Doesn't mean everyone will survive it sadly but most people will. Go on and enjoy your life now instead of panicking over this.
rickg523 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.