Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Car from MXP to Duomo Area

Old Feb 5, 20, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

I'm staying at a hotel in the area of the Duomo. I arrive around 8AM on a Tuesday. I will be traveling alone with 4 pieces of luggage. (a regular suitcase, a carry on, a tripod case and a tote) With arthritis and anticipating fatigue after 18 hours of travel I don't want to deal with dragging all my stuff to the train or other public transport. I know it isn't cheap, but I want to get a car from the airport to my hotel. I saw some quotes on line and considered booking one ahead of time but I have no idea how long it will take me to get through customs, maybe freshion up a bit etc. and don't want to end up with overtime charges. How easy is it to get a black car or uber type of transportation from the airport? Would it be better to book ahead? If so, any recommendations? Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 20, 8:35 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QR Burgundy, WY Gold, TK Elite
For your comparison, regular taxis (white taxi) has a fixed imposed fare of 95 Euro (incl tax) from MXP, whatever destination inside Milano city limits and regardless of what the tax meter may reports, except you ask for intermediate stops or change destination during the trip, availability at airport should not be an issue. I do not know how Uber is working nowadays in Milan.
obscure2k likes this.

Last edited by BobFF68; Feb 6, 20 at 1:32 am Reason: revise word
Old Feb 6, 20, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobFF68 View Post
For your comparison, regular taxis (white taxi) has a fixed imposed fare of 95 Euro (incl tax) from MXP, whatever destination inside Milano city limits and regardless of what the tax meter may reports, except you ask for intermediate stops or change destination during the trip, availability at airport should not be an issue. I do not know how Uber is working nowadays in Milan.
Good information, thank you. I was unaware it was regulated. Iíve had bad experiences from airports in the past which is why I considered a black car.
Old Feb 6, 20, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
Airport taxis are pretty good; 95 Euros fixed fares means there's not much of a line and little room for funny business.
I have done Uber Black in Milan (but not from MXP) and it was fine. Uber Pop (e.g., UberX) is illegal now.
Ezzy77 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 20, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ezzy77 View Post
Good information, thank you. I was unaware it was regulated. Iíve had bad experiences from airports in the past which is why I considered a black car.
Yeah, few drivers may try to ask for the amount as the meter, especially with foreigners as they think not knowing the rules, in such case be strict and explain you know how it works...

Ezzy77 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Taxi seems the way to go! What is the tip norm? Do I need cash?
Old Feb 7, 20, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Ezzy77 View Post
Taxi seems the way to go! What is the tip norm? Do I need cash?
AFAIK only a few cars accept credit cards, better you get some Euro in advance. Tips in Italy, same as Europe in general, are off course welcomed but not expected, since it is 95 if you give him 100 and not tacking the change will be definitely enough.
Ezzy77 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by BobFF68 View Post
AFAIK only a few cars accept credit cards, better you get some Euro in advance. Tips in Italy, same as Europe in general, are off course welcomed but not expected, since it is 95 if you give him 100 and not tacking the change will be definitely enough.
Tips in Italy are NOT like the rest of Europe: In general, people do not tip in Italy, not in taxis, not in restaurants, not anywhere. Nobody will object if you do but, really, nothing is expected!
Old Feb 10, 20, 5:21 am

Programs: LH SEN, AZ CFA
I'd go for the taxi if I were the OP.
Tip is not expected in general in Italy but, of course, no one will complain or refuse it.
About credit card, just ask the driver before jumping on if he/she accepts cards: if not, just go to the next one.
Ezzy77 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 20, 7:53 am

Another thing worth considering is to book an NCC (Noleggio Con Conducente) before arriving in Italy, so that the guy is waiting for you at arrivals. There's many options on the Internet, service is generally good and the risk of being ripped off is lower than with a taxi.
Ezzy77 and I.CRIS like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: