Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

SicilyByCar (rental car agency) -- Opinions? Experience?

Old Aug 5, 19, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan

Ciao everyone!

Iím going to Puglia in September and will be renting a car at Bari airport. SicilyByCar (reserved on foxrentacar.com) has the best rates, especially for dropping off at a different location, Brindisi.

Iíve done some checking and found many negative reviews and hardly any positive ones about SicilyByCar.

Has anyone here used SicilyByCar? How was your experience? Positive or negative? Any issues?

Thanks
Old Aug 6, 19, 3:08 am

Do yourself a favour and book with a proper rental agency. SicilyByCar is legalised theft in my humble opinion. Booked them once and had to involve a lawyer to argue that damages they said I made to the wheel arches (and to the spare!) had not been done by me (had photo and everything but they tried to charge me 500 euros nonetheless). Over the years I had to help several colleagues (that company has an uncanny capability to forget they ever spoke or knew English when handling complaints) that had been tempted by their low prices only to be stung with hidden charges and ďdamageĒ fees.

My honest advice is to pay a bit more but to use a reputable company; Iím partial to Avis, but I normally use it only in Northern Italy.
obscure2k and AA100k like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, US, DL, CO
There’s a lot of ways a fly-by-night rental car company can burn a tourist in Europe, not just Italy. You can roll the dice and hope for the best but frankly, I just pay for €0 deductible CDW and rent from one of the biggies.
Old Aug 13, 19, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AAMillionaire View Post
Ciao everyone!

Iím going to Puglia in September and will be renting a car at Bari airport. SicilyByCar (reserved on foxrentacar.com) has the best rates, especially for dropping off at a different location, Brindisi.

Iíve done some checking and found many negative reviews and hardly any positive ones about SicilyByCar.

Has anyone here used SicilyByCar? How was your experience? Positive or negative? Any issues?

Thanks
I used Sicily by Car (through a broker) some years ago at MXP T1. I was asked to pre-authorize a charge of around Ä1,000 on my credit card as a guarantee in case of theft or damage to the car (which I understand to be standard practice for some car rental companiesĖa first for me and I remember feeling a little uncomfortable with it), but in the end the rental passed without incident, and so the pre-authorization charge was of course never processed. The car itself was very basicĖa FIAT Panda. Whereas the rental ended satisfactorily, I vaguely regretted having been attracted by the low advertised 'headline rate' and not having rented with one of the better known companies.

In any case, if you go ahead with this, or indeed any other car rental company at BRI, take all the usual precautions: Inspect the vehicle thoroughly on collection, taking photos. or videos in the unlikely event that they might try to claim falsely that you caused damage to the vehicle. Be aware that they will try to sell you extra insurance to reduce your co-pay / excess, and may try to persuade you to pre-purchase your fuelĖ(always a bad option in my view).
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Thanks for the feedback.

My gut said to stay away from them, so I'm going with Avis. (At Brindisi, instead of Bari.)
obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, US, DL, CO
Originally Posted by AAMillionaire View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

My gut said to stay away from them, so I'm going with Avis. (At Brindisi, instead of Bari.)
Good decision. And have a great trip!
obscure2k and AAMillionaire like this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 12:13 am

Programs: EY Guest Gold, QR Burgundy, EK Blue, LH M&M, SQ Krisflyer
I ever rented in different occasions a car with them at MXP and also with the infamous Goldcar that is the other one offering the cheapest rates, so far never had any issue, BUT you need to know how to deal with them:

always book directly, never through a broker
better to buy their policies to reduce CC deposit and deductibles to zero

In such way you can still save quite big money comparing to global renters without worries of being ripped off at the end of your trip. Even with extra insurance their rates are same or even cheaper than basic rates of famous rentals and you're totally covered in case of any accident/damage.

On the other side I have myself seen how they often try to threaten the customers and push to buy their special covers when they just purchased the basic/cheapest fares or bought via brokers (that also sell their refund insurance not recognized by rental company), I can also believe of some of the horror stories you read about them trying to overcharge charge for previous damages, thus important is to be aware of what you're doing.

Search this Thread