Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

For the pizza lovers: of top pizzerie in Italy

Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Here's an article from La Repubblica, the #2 daily in Italy, reporting on the prize awards for the best pizzerie in Italy. When offerendum goes back to Italy, I hope that he'll visit some of those in the list and report to us as he did with the gelaterie.

PS The article is in Italian, but it should be easy to google the pizzerie in order to visit...
PWMTrav and obscure2k like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by KLouis
Here's an article from La Repubblica, the #2 daily in Italy, reporting on the prize awards for the best pizzerie in Italy. When offerendum goes back to Italy, I hope that he'll visit some of those in the list and report to us as he did with the gelaterie.

PS The article is in Italian, but it should be easy to google the pizzerie in order to visit...
Thanks for sharing this article, klouis. I'm tempted to take a quick detour to Napoli in November.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Thanks! One of the Milano pizzerie (Dry) is very close to where I stay.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Thanks for sharing this article, klouis.
Ditto. ^ Some of those are close enough to my usual hunting ground in Roma that I may check them out in October.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Saw that a while back but forgot all about it. Leaving Friday. Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

It was published last Wednesday (July 24) and I unearthed it from deep, deep down in R's site, hidden among stuff that I never read...
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage
It was in LaStampa yesterday too.

https://www.lastampa.it/cucina/2019/...ica-1.37236325
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
If you go to 400gradi in Lecce try Pizzeria Napul' - it's 800 meters away and fantastic. Their peperoncino is the gold standard.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by ckendall
Thanks! One of the Milano pizzerie (Dry) is very close to where I stay.
Was it any good? I am tempted to try the restaurants in Milan listed as numbers 15 and 17 on that list, namely Da Zero and Coccuito. The latter seems to have a number of different establishments across the city, which might vary, but I would be tempted to go for the one closest to Milano Centrale, which is the far right one on the list on their website.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
Was it any good? I am tempted to try the restaurants in Milan listed as numbers 15 and 17 on that list, namely Da Zero and Coccuito. The latter seems to have a number of different establishments across the city, which might vary, but I would be tempted to go for the one closest to Milano Centrale, which is the far right one on the list on their website.
I forgot to go last trip, but will definitely stop by during my February visit.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried one of these pizzerias a few days ago and had mixed feelings about it. The place in question was one of the three Coccuito branches in Milan, namely the one called Pizzeria Porta Venezia in via Lazzaro Spallanzoni, which is walkable in about 20 minutes from Stazione Centrale.

Entering the restaurant, which is rather soulless and of the metal and glass design style, I almost walked straight out again. The girl was so unfriendly it seemed to me that they didn't need any customers. However, I stuck it out and it got a bit better as we went on. The pizzas cost in the €12-15 range, which is expensive for a basic dish such as pizza IMO. Everything else came with a pretty price tag too and the beers were in the €5-6 range, again a bit steep (again, somebody has to pay for all the glass and metal, appearances being everything these days.). However, the pizzas were excellent, with fine ingredients and a quality base that for once didn't leave me burping and thinking I must have somehow ingested cement. The quality of cheese and tomato was far superior to anything you get in normal pizzerias. The only thing I didn't like was that there was rather a lot of base, which was puffed up around the edges of the pizza (I think it is a particular style of this pizza maker), which meant quite a lot of the pizza base was cut off and left lying on the plate. I won't be going back, but it was interesting. Maybe one of the two other branches of Cocciuto would be better?

That same night, we had a pizza again (I can't believe myself!) when we reached Domodossola, in the caf Regina opposite the station and while it certainly wasn't the same quality, it more resembled what I expect a pizza to be: a nice thin base, good moist toppings and decent flavour, all for 5 Euros! I write all this while not being a fan of pizzas at all, because I can barely digest them, but I sure enjoy a good one when I get it!

I will be in Milan next Monday and maybe I will try Marghe, which is further down the list.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:00 pm

I will be in Milan next Monday and maybe I will try Marghe, which is further down the list.
Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

...{snip}...The only thing I didn't like was that there was rather a lot of base, which was puffed up around the edges of the pizza (I think it is a particular style of this pizza maker), which meant quite a lot of the pizza base was cut off and left lying on the plate...{snip}...
what I expect a pizza to be: a nice thin base,
Do I detect here an indirect statement describing your personal preference for "Roman-style pizza" over "Napolitan-style pizza"? I thought political views along party lines are not allowed here! ;D
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ha! Not sure really! Have to be more careful and appreciate all aspects of pizza, which appears to be much more varied than one thinks.

As an aside, I think prices in Italy have jumped up in the last months, a bit like a platform hauling workers up, so that I feel I am paying over the odds for everything. Even restaurants listed as “cheap” in Verona were setting me back upwards of €65 for dinner for two. The trains are no longer the bargains they were, even the regional trains set me back more because I needed to buy two separate tickets due to the time stamping and validity of 4 hours (wonder if you can buy them in another country and have longer validity).
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLouis
Do I detect here an indirect statement describing your personal preference for "Roman-style pizza" over "Napolitan-style pizza"? I thought political views along party lines are not allowed here! ;D
As a fan of Neapolitan-style pizzas and not that gone on Roman-style thin pizzas, I thought that Concerto's first pizza sounded like heaven and the second one like hell.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.