Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome:”bridge /road is closed”?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Rome:”bridge /road is closed”?

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster. (Thanks Perche and others for all your advice). My husband and I are frequent travelers to Rome and the last two visits we’ve been walking along the Tiber and encountered men telling us in English that the road or bridge ahead is closed. We’ve always ignored this as we either knew that the road was open or weren’t intending to cross a bridge, but as we walked further it became apparent that this was clearly not true. We are puzzled as to why people would do this. Yesterday, the man was quite agitated when we didn’t heed his “warnings”. This seems a scam but we can’t figure it out. Btw we’ve also encountered the drivers who are in need of direction along this route but didn’t fall for that despite the “gift” of some lovely very valuable fake watches.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:10 pm

Anzitutto, welcome to FT. I can only guess that 1) you must look very "touristy" and 2) that "they" would like to lead you to the presumed way out and either sell you fake watches, as already happened, or give you addresses to stores/eateries while walking with you. This must be a "new thing", as it never happened to me in Rome (happened in Istambul and Tunis, though).
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:48 am
Suspended

"Bridge/road is closed" in Rome

During my recent visit to Rome as I was travelling along with the group some of our tourists from Vatican Tours, I've discovered this trap of a thing where people were claiming that the bridge ahead was closed but we didn't quite heed to the sayings and went straight ahead to our destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.