Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

4-7 days in Northern Italy at the end of July: Where to go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

My girl-friend and I are currently on an extended roadtrip through Southern Europe.
Right now we're in France and later this month, we'll do Sardinia and Corsica.
After Corsica, I have about 3 days left of vacation and another 4 days where I'll be able to work remotely, before having an appointment in Zurich.
We were thinking about going to Florence and Rapallo (but neither is locked in, so we're still flexible) and then spending 4 days somewhere between there and Zurich, like Lombardy or South Tyrol.
Ideally we'd spend 4 days in the same place. That place should have a pool (or at least a nearby lake), airconditioning and fast wifi - as I will be working from there.

I'm willing to pay up to 300€ per night. Both hotels and AirBnB etc. would be an option - but I haven't found terribly much online.
Any suggestions where to go?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:05 pm

Your problem seems to be that you are planning your short notice stays during the high peak for tourism in Italy and southern Europe in General... Perhaps you should focus your searches on areas that are "less known" to the broad public such as Umbria, Marche, Abruzzi, etc.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, of course that’s a challenge. But I couldn’t plan this trip earlier, unfortunately.
I’ll look into the places you mentioned, thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Just returned from a few weeks in Italy. I think Palas Cerequio in La Morra (Piemonte) might do the trick: https://www.palascerequio.com/. About a 5 hour drive to Zurich.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that looks amazing. Somebody else also recommended La Morra in a German forum, seems like there are many great properties.
In the meantime though, my appointment in Zurich has been postponed and we’ll go to MUC instead.

We decided to take the ferry from Corsica to Genoa and then do Portofino, Milan, Lake Garda, Bolzano and Neuschwanstein Palace.

But Piemonte looks fantastic and we need to go there as soon as possible!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Thanks, that looks amazing. Somebody else also recommended La Morra in a German forum, seems like there are many great properties.
In the meantime though, my appointment in Zurich has been postponed and we’ll go to MUC instead.

We decided to take the ferry from Corsica to Genoa and then do Portofino, Milan, Lake Garda, Bolzano and Neuschwanstein Palace.

But Piemonte looks fantastic and we need to go there as soon as possible!
I would consider replacing Portofino with Camogli. Trying to find parking in Portofino is a bit of a headache, and the town is picturesque but extremely crowded in peak season. The promenade in Camogli is much longer and has a way more relaxed vibe, and in many ways prettier than Portofino.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
We liked visiting "Otzi" in Bolzano.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:19 am
Original Poster

To be honest, our main reason for going to Portofino is the Excelsior Palace hotel. We stayed there in winter two years ago and it was magical. So we wanted to go back when the pool is usable. ;-)
But we’ll definitely check out Camogli, too.

The Ötzi is a great idea as well, thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: ITA
Originally Posted by linglingfool
I would consider replacing Portofino with Camogli. Trying to find parking in Portofino is a bit of a headache, and the town is picturesque but extremely crowded in peak season. The promenade in Camogli is much longer and has a way more relaxed vibe, and in many ways prettier than Portofino.
Parking in Camogli is much more headache than parking in Portofino. Camogli has a small parking lot across train station and some supermarker parking. I consider that parking next to Cernobbio dei Dogi is always full.
I live in Liguria and we go to Camogli by train only.
However, if you like to walk, you can take a walk from Santa Margherita train station all the way to Portofino. It is an hour walk or so. If you are tired you can return with bus 82 back to Santa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.