Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lake Como - Transportation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Lake Como - Transportation

My wife and I just booked a week long trip to Milan and Lake Como. We're wondering if it's necessary to rent a car to explore Lake Como and the surrounding region. The plan is 2 days in Milan and 4 days in Lake Como. We're staying in Cernobbio. I think we'll take the train from Milan to Como and from there are considering renting a car.

Is there Uber in the Lake Como region? If not are taxis readily available or are they on-demand and quite pricey? We've driven in Italy before thus aren't too concerned with driving however wondering if a car is necessary. We'd like to get out an explore some of the smaller towns as well as maybe make the trip into Switzerland.

Any tips or insight would be much appreciated!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're willing to enjoy the ride and schedule your days for them, the ferry service on the lake is very good and not terribly expensive.
http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/risultati.aspx?lake=Como
If that doesn't work for you, rent a car.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:47 am

110% recommend taking a car. Just be mindful of narrow roads and the ubiquitous ZTL (Zona a Traffico Limitato) where city centres are closed to non-resident traffic. The beauty of the Lakes (not just Como but also Maggiore, Orta, Iseo...) lies in what is beyond the town and villages, without a car you do miss a fair bit. If you're going in Switzerland don't use the motorways unless you want to pay for the Vignette.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
And on the Uber part of the question, Italian taxi drivers have managed to make the basic uber services illegal, so only Uber black (in fancy cars) is available and apparently only in Rome and Milan. I have used Uber black when I could not get a taxi for love or money in Milan and a guy took me in a lovely Jaguar to where I was going. I would not expect this service to be available in the Como area.

Taxis do exist in the Como area (see https://www.radiotaxicomo.com/ for example) and I would imagine that the ITtaxi app and the like would work, with the obvious Italian caveat that you pay for the cab once the guy turns the meter on, so the cab that arrives to get you will already have a running meter with more than the minimum charge on it before you get in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.