Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

A week in Liguria in June-- seeking general advice

A week in Liguria in June-- seeking general advice

Old May 29, 19, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Question A week in Liguria in June-- seeking general advice

My wife and I are headed to Liguria for 10 days in mid June. After a night in Genoa, we have 4 nights in Alassio, 2 nights in San Remo, and 2 in Nice. We will have a rental car, and the goal is to unwind and relax, which for us will include some cycling (we have rented bikes in Alassio) and hiking. We'd like to explore the coast a bit, but also drive inland to see the Peidmont and try some new wine. I'm very much interested in learning more about this area, and see how busy this area will be for our mid-June timing. Any suggestions or feedback are very welcome!
Old May 30, 19, 5:31 am

Liguria in mid-June is territory of grand parents and wives from Milan taking their young ones to the beach while papŕ Is back home working until August. So expect relatively busy beaches and restaurants booked for the early evening.

I'm not a fan of Liguria but absolutely love Lerici, which is in the completely opposite side to where you are, unfortunately.
Old May 30, 19, 2:21 pm

What do you like to do, or would like to do, while on this trip? I don't know as much as I should given that my mom is from Genoa, but I know I can probably gather some opinions if you can narrow down your interests!
Old May 30, 19, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Any hiking or cycling destinations would be welcome, as would towns or sights inland from the beaches. Restaurants, cultural areas, or places away from the tourism rush that we should check out. Any tidbits would be great!
Old May 31, 19, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by asc12 View Post
My wife and I are headed to Liguria for 10 days in mid June. After a night in Genoa, we have 4 nights in Alassio, 2 nights in San Remo, and 2 in Nice. We will have a rental car, and the goal is to unwind and relax, which for us will include some cycling (we have rented bikes in Alassio) and hiking. We'd like to explore the coast a bit, but also drive inland to see the Peidmont and try some new wine. I'm very much interested in learning more about this area, and see how busy this area will be for our mid-June timing. Any suggestions or feedback are very welcome!
It's a straightforward, 2 hour drive from Alassio to wine country. Head for Dogliani, Barolo, La Morra or slightly further to Alba. There are many wineries that you could visit in the area. If you wish to get some local advice, Dogliani has a tourist office in the main square and a number of wine stores. Definitely wort a day trip.
Old Jun 1, 19, 11:24 am

Four nights in Alassio, unless one isn't a pensioner from Turin, is a bit too much in my books. But I'm the sort of guy who does at best a very quick visit to the Riviera di Levante (Chiavari, San Terenzo) and spends most of his time in region in either Genova or visiting random places in the Entroterra, i.e. the mountains.
Old Jun 1, 19, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I used to live in Liguria but the opposite direction from Genova than where you are going (Chiavari). If you change your plans and go that way instead (Portofino, Santa Margherita, Camogli, Sestri Levante, the Cinque Terre, Porto Venere), I can help you. But I also agree that four nights in Alassio is a bit too many for my liking as well.
Old Jun 3, 19, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Up In The Air View Post
It's a straightforward, 2 hour drive from Alassio to wine country. Head for Dogliani, Barolo, La Morra or slightly further to Alba. There are many wineries that you could visit in the area. If you wish to get some local advice, Dogliani has a tourist office in the main square and a number of wine stores. Definitely wort a day trip.
This sounds like a great plan.

We're actually only 3 nights in Alassio, but your points are well taken. Our plan has evolved to use it more as a base of exploration, and just hang out with the pensioners from Turin in the evenings. Visiting the random places in the mountains will be more to our liking in the day, it seems.
Old Jun 23, 19, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
I used to live in Liguria but the opposite direction from Genova than where you are going (Chiavari). If you change your plans and go that way instead (Portofino, Santa Margherita, Camogli, Sestri Levante, the Cinque Terre, Porto Venere), I can help you. But I also agree that four nights in Alassio is a bit too many for my liking as well.
I'm actually headed that way in a couple of weeks and looking for suggestions where to stay. It is just a short trip (2 nights) but mid-week, if that makes a difference. Driving from and to MXP, so don't want to head as far as Cinque Terre (where I've been before), and also by the looks of it, avoid Portofino as that seems to be where everyone goes.

Do you recommend being based in one of the towns like Camogli, Rapallo etc (easy to drive?) or rather a bit more inland? Any suggestions for cozy hotels? Priorities are to unwind for a couple of days, good Italian food, avoiding the busiest tourist areas. Not too bothered about beaches. Thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 23, 19, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
Priorities are to unwind for a couple of days, good Italian food, avoiding the busiest tourist areas. Not too bothered about beaches. Thanks for any advice!
Then I'd say forget about Liguria entirely and spend some time in the area around Alba (including Bra and Asti). Some of the best food and wine in Italy on beautiful hills which are just as charming as Tuscany's.
Old Jun 23, 19, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
Then I'd say forget about Liguria entirely and spend some time in the area around Alba (including Bra and Asti). Some of the best food and wine in Italy on beautiful hills which are just as charming as Tuscany's.
Thanks, haven't considered that and sounds like a nice idea actually. Any suggestions re hotels? Where could be a good base to explore - in those towns, or rather in the small villages? Thanks!

Last edited by ung1; Jun 23, 19 at 4:23 am
Old Jun 23, 19, 4:43 am

Thanks, haven't considered that and sounds like a nice idea actually. Any suggestions re hotels? Where could be a good base to explore - in those towns, or rather in the small villages? Thanks!
I had a good stay at La Madernassa and stupidly forgot to book their starred restaurant, which as far as I know is pretty good. From there it's a short drive to Alba, where I'd recommend to try Piola, which is the bistro restaurant of Piazza Duomo, which I believe holds two stars. Asti is home to many wineries of sparkling wines, while Bra is famous for its sausage. Throughout the region you can find amazing red wines.
Old Jun 23, 19, 7:05 am
Original Poster

We recently returned, and skipped most of the Ligurian coast entirely based in large part on advice from this thread.

Instead, we spent 3 days in Barolo, cycling or driving among the hilltop towns, drinking wine, and falling completely in love with the area. We couldn’t be happier with the decision.
malmostoso likes this.
Old Jun 23, 19, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
We recently returned, and skipped most of the Ligurian coast entirely based in large part on advice from this thread.
Instead, we spent 3 days in Barolo, cycling or driving among the hilltop towns, drinking wine, and falling completely in love with the area. We couldn’t be happier with the decision.
I lived and worked in Torino, and know Piemonte well. I have no idea why people are so fascinated by Tuscany, when Piemonte is better. But I am writing to say don't be so quick to blow off Liguria.

The Foundation for Environmental Education rates beaches in 44 countries, based on 32 criteria, such as cleanliness of the water, clearness of the water, facilities for visitors, safety, etc, and awards them the coveted, "Blue Flag," Italy has 10% of the world's Blue Flag beaches, with Liguria having by far, the most prized beaches of all (30). Tuscany, Campania, Puglia, Le Marche, Sardinia each have only about half as many.
Old Jun 23, 19, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Perche View Post
I lived and worked in Torino, and know Piemonte well. I have no idea why people are so fascinated by Tuscany, when Piemonte is better. But I am writing to say don't be so quick to blow off Liguria.

The Foundation for Environmental Education rates beaches in 44 countries, based on 32 criteria, such as cleanliness of the water, clearness of the water, facilities for visitors, safety, etc, and awards them the coveted, "Blue Flag," Italy has 10% of the world's Blue Flag beaches, with Liguria having by far, the most prized beaches of all (30). Tuscany, Campania, Puglia, Le Marche, Sardinia each have only about half as many.
Sounds reassuring! As I'm going to Thailand on what will partly be a beach holiday the week after, spending time in the Italian countryside does sound quite alluring!

I'm struggling to decide on a hotel though - been considering among others Il Boscareto (read reviews about a/c not being effective in the heat), Palazzo Righini (a bit far from Alba), Casa Pavesi, Somaschi hotel, Albergo dell'Agenzia (in an industrial area apparently?). I'm allergic to hotels pretending to be luxury hotels where everything doesn't work smoothly (don't want to spend on Relaix & Chateau properties for this stay though), but still do value nice interiors, a view, nice location. Maybe some of you have recent experiences with some of these? Thanks!

Search this Thread