Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Visit to ancestral home with extended family

Visit to ancestral home with extended family

Old May 5, 19, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Question Visit to ancestral home with extended family

Our family is from a small village Limiti near Grecio about 50 miles outside of Rome. There are 12 - 17 of us who would like to travel to spend a day visiting with relatives there (on a Sunday to meet with as many relatives as we can). We are also interested in visiting Rome, Venice and maybe Assisi while there, possibly a 9 day trip.. We are open to any itinerary though. We would need to go either in December Christmas week or late June, July to accommodate school schedules. We thought that we might just add an extra day while in Rome to a package trip. Some of us are on a tight budget and so we thought this would be the best way to go.
I also thought I might investigate travel agencies that cater specifically to Italians seeking family trips but do not know how to go about finding any. I have tried Google search but I must not be using the right terms to find anything. The group is varied and would include 3 older couples, a single older adult, a family with 2 school age children,a mother with 2 adult children with 2 teenagers and a possible teenage grandchild of one of the older couples.
Any help/suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated?
Old May 6, 19, 12:55 am

When you say "visiting family" do you have contact with them already?

I would just arrange air travel as cheaply/conveniently as possible into FCO, and then ask the family to find a local taxi/bus/tour operator to come fetch you and drive you around. Renting 4+ cars or 2+ vans would be stupidly expensive anyway.

If anyone in the family is willing and able they could easily show you around, instead of hiring a private guide (which however is generally not expensive and totally worth it).
:D! likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 7:35 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Alternatively, Greccio is 1:40 by train from Roma Termini. One way adult fare around €8,40 each way. Greccio train station is about 2 km from Limiti by car so you would have to figure out how to navigate the last mile.
Old May 13, 19, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
You mentioned Venice in your OP. Given the amount of time y'all have, I would definitely skip that. You won't be able to do Rome or Venice or Assisi justice if you attempt to do all that ... particularly not when trying to fit in a family visit.

A couple of years ago I stayed in an agriturismo with my wife's family just south of Assisi in the village of Torgiano (about 15 km south of Perugia and 20 km southwest of Assisi). You might consider staying a few days in Rome to get over jet lag and visiting the family in Limiti di Greccio on the way to staying somewhere near Assisi in southern Umbria for a few days. There's lots to explore there. Then it's just a train ride back to Rome for your return. That would be my recommendation for a trip like this.

Search this Thread