Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Christmas markets in venice

Old Apr 12, 19, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium

we are taking a danube River cruise the last week of November 2019,. The cruise is RT Vienna - east to Budapest and then west to Linz. We are arriving early in Zurich and have a week of "free time' that we are looking to fill.

our first thought is Italy, looking for the Italian spin on Xmas markets. We are trying to find something northern Italy - first idea was venice. However, looking at travel guides, it appears that most activities (and there really arent that many) start in mid december. Am i just looking at the wrong sites? If not venice, any other Italian themed ideas? Tiicino (Lake Lugano)in southern switzerland?
Old Apr 12, 19, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have spent Christmas in Venice, more than once, and don't recall seeing great Christmas Markets. There are some vendors in various Campos but nothing really stands out.
Old Apr 12, 19, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA gold
This was a number of years ago but did one trip over Christmas...Vicenza....Bolzano.....then Venice. Did not see any Christmas markets in Vicenza or Venice. I did see Christmas market in Bolzano and Bolzano also has Otzi.
Old Apr 12, 19, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA gold
Christmas markets in the Veneto area https://www.beescover.com/en/a-magic...-to-be-missed/
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:23 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
You will find the best Christmas markets in Trentino Alto Adige (northern Italy), not very far from Venezia (you can go by train): Bolzano, Merano, Brunico, Bressanone Brixen, San Candido Innichen.
Old Apr 23, 19, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by tfred View Post
we are taking a danube River cruise the last week of November 2019,. The cruise is RT Vienna - east to Budapest and then west to Linz. We are arriving early in Zurich and have a week of "free time' that we are looking to fill.

our first thought is Italy, looking for the Italian spin on Xmas markets. We are trying to find something northern Italy - first idea was venice. However, looking at travel guides, it appears that most activities (and there really arent that many) start in mid december. Am i just looking at the wrong sites? If not venice, any other Italian themed ideas? Tiicino (Lake Lugano)in southern switzerland?
Forget about Christmas Markets in Venice. They basically don't exist. There is one in San Paolo Sestiere, where they build a small ice skating rink, but it's mostly locals selling the junk they can't offload on eBay. Christmas Markets in Vienna and Salzburg can make you feel like a kid again. I wouldn't walk around the corner for a Venetian Christmas Market. I guess if you are astute, you could pick up some ancient thing that will have sentimental value to you, but they don't even have food or drink. It's just in a tiny square. Christmas market in Vienna should be on everyone's bucket list. I have heard that if you go North in the Veneto, as in Belluno, up near Austria, you can find a decent Christmas Market, but don't even think about it in Venice.
tfred likes this.
Old Apr 28, 19, 5:54 am

If you want to see great X’mas markets, go to South Tyrol (Bressanone, Bolzano, Brunico, Merano), not to Venice (or other cities in Veneto). You can reach South Tyrol by train from Venice, however you need to change trains in Verona. A one-way regional train fare from Venice to Bolzano costs €24,20. There is only one direct train (an EuroCity train). You can also decide to stay a couple of days in Bolzano and visit most of the X’mas markets located in the region on daily trips (every market is different!) with local trains. From Bolzano, there are even several trains to Innsbruck (North Tyrol, Austria).
Perche likes this.

Search this Thread