Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Bed & Breakfast Late Checkin

Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)

I made a reservation. I did not use booking sites. I emailed to Bed & Breakfast which has a website in Italian. The email communication for the reservation was prompt.
Two weeks later. Train booking was open. After making the train reservation, I sent the train arrival information asking about transportation advice from the train station to B&B.
No response for my two emails for three weeks.

Arrival time of my train is late - 10PM. I noticed that B&B has five rooms. Maybe managing people has specific hours for checkin.

I would like to ask for advice how to handle this situation.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by poohhead80
I'm a little confused. I see that you booked a room, received a response and later sent them an e-mail asking for advice about your late arrival. What was the second e-mail? Has it been two weeks since the second request for information or the first? And how long before your stay?

Maybe managing people has specific hours for checkin.
Does the website give any indication? If you can't tell because of language issues, perhaps you can post the website and have one of us look it over. I know that when I rent apartments in Italy, there is often a specification about how early and how late they'll allow me to check in.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
B&B website is https://www.barivecchiadimora.com/
Travel date is End of June.

Early March - Booking B&B by email. Twelve emails were exchanged in one day.
Around March 20, train booking opened.
After reserving my train tickets, I emailed about taxi recommendation on March 23, March 26, and April 8.
Still no response.

Now I did find information posted on Hotels.com
  • Check-in time 12:30 PM-6:30 PM
  • Check-out time is 10:30 AM
  • Express check-in
There is no front desk at this property. If you are planning to arrive after 7 PM please contact the property at least 72 hours in advance using the information on the booking confirmation.
24-hour airport shuttle service is available on request. Fees may apply. Contact the property in advance to make arrangements. This property is in a car-free zone and can be reached only by foot. For more details, please contact the property using the information on the reservation confirmation received after booking.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
The telephone number given on the b&b Website is a cellphone number. Why don’t you give them a buzz to discuss the issue? (It’s unlikely that they speak no English at all.) If you don’t wish to try that, send a text message or WhatsApp.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I wonder if you would be better off staying somewhere else. Unless you have a particular reason for wanting to stay there (in which case why are you afraid of calling them), should you not have booked the accommodation after ensuring you were actually able to reach it?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
... in which case why are you afraid of calling them ...
Some people aren't comfortable over the phone. I'm one of them, regardless of the language used.

I'll second the idea of sending a What's App message. My friends in Italy use it almost exclusively over direct text messaging.

Having looked over the website, I didn't see anything nearly as informative as what you found on hotels.com, poohhead80. If this were me, I'd do my best to resolve this ahead of time, either by confirming with this place, booking another accommodation or making an earlier train reservation.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
I made a reservation. I did not use booking sites. I emailed to Bed & Breakfast which has a website in Italian. The email communication for the reservation was prompt.
Two weeks later. Train booking was open. After making the train reservation, I sent the train arrival information asking about transportation advice from the train station to B&B.

Arrival time of my train is late - 10PM. I noticed that B&B has five rooms. Maybe managing people has specific hours for checkin.

I would like to ask for advice how to handle this situation.

Thanks in advance.
This is absolutely common and standard. You can check into a hotel at any time. An Air BNB or B&B always requires early check in. If you are going to check in late, They sometimes will meet you somewhere and walk you thereou at night for a $75 fee. You have to figure out how and if and when you can get to a town, then you find a place to stay. This was done backwards. I'd cancel the hotel. You can't cancel the train ticket, but if you cancel the B&B you might be able to find a hotel when you can check in when you want.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Update:
I called the B&B.
A lady answered the phone but she speaks very little English. I do not think she understood me.
Five minutes later, I got a call back from the same number, but different person. He speaks English a lot better but did not give me the definite answer about the late check in.
He said auto-check-in is available or his coworker can arrange for the late check-in and he will ask his worker to respond to the emails.
Hopefully, I will get an email back sometime next week. Otherwise, I will book other place.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:29 am
Original Poster

I found the B&B facebook page, sent a message and got a response. Everything is okay.
Still I have no idea why they did not response to my previous emails.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He said auto-check-in is available ...
How does one auto-check-in at a bed-and-breakfast?

At any rate, I'm glad that it all worked out. I'd be interested in hearing about Bari. I was considering it at one point for our summer travel.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iapetus
How does one auto-check-in at a bed-and-breakfast?
I have no idea. Maybe he meant B&B entry using a keypad.
From the phone conversation, I felt people at B&B are very relaxed and easy going. Now I am relieved.
Pictures of Bari Downtown look lovely. We are excited.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
I have no idea. Maybe he meant B&B entry using a keypad.
From the phone conversation, I felt people at B&B are very relaxed and easy going. Now I am relieved.
Pictures of Bari Downtown look lovely. We are excited.
Be flexible. Bari is generally not a place people choose to go, unless they have relatives there. It has some decent areas, but its basically a kind of grimy large port town, except for the old town. Fortunately it's reasonably close to some interesting places. You should not miss Matera, no matter what, in nearby Basilicata. In Puglia where Bari is nearby is Lecce which is nicer. OstunIa is worth a visit. Alberobello is interesting as is Monopoli.As for Bari, keep your expectations in check. If you are only going to have time for one side trip, I'd choose Matera.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:44 pm

Completing Perche's short post that is absolutely correct in everything: Ask your bnb host in Bari (or perhaps a nice FTer might provide the info - I've forgotten the names myself) for a nice masseria relatively closeby, with good pugliese food and a great outside dining area (+ view to the distant sea?), and have a great dining experience. If your levels of cholesterol allow it, don't forget to taste a fresh burrata while there. This will make you feel like you finally reached the seventh heaven.
Perche likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.