Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Tuscany / Florence for 3 nights

Old Mar 3, 19, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, HHonors

Hi All,

Three of us will be traveling in Tuscany / Florence area this April, and we're struggling to figure out how to plan our time best while in that area. We are in our late-twenties, and love wine, as well as architecture, food, and culture to a certain degree (we aren't big museum guys). We'll be arriving from Rome, and were thinking to do 1 night in Florence, do most of the tourist activities, and then hopefully get to the Tuscan country side, specifically somewhere in Chianti.

We were thinking after 1 night in Florence to rent a car and drive to an area where we can go wine tasting / relax and decompress. Would San Gimignano be a good place for 2 nights? What about Volterra? Are these towns better to just pass through or are they worth actually staying in? Any other recommended towns to stay in? I went to Lucca many years ago, and remember it being a neat city as well...

Any insight is greatly appreciated - basically just want some guidance on what town to stay in outside of Florence to best see the Tuscan countryside for 2 nights. Thank you!
Old Mar 3, 19, 9:52 pm

If you have 3 nights, pick a place and spend them all there. If you're more city travelers, pick Florence, if not, any town that appeals to you based on what you want to spend your time doing. Personally, I'd spend my 3 nights in Florence - spend the first day wandering around a bit and looking at the buildings then spend the evening at a wine bar, second day do a food tour, third day hire a driver to take you out of the city for a winery or two, last day whatever else you want to do before leaving town. Staying in one place will maximize your activity time by not eliminating most of a day in transit - packing up, renting a car, checking in, unpacking, returning the car all adds up, even if you're just going an hour away.
Perche and linglingfool like this.
Old Mar 3, 19, 10:42 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Florence is super stay city center, same with Rome, 3 nights in either better than spending time on a train in transit.

Enjoy,
Perche likes this.
Old Mar 4, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: TK Gold
I would recommend a smaller place such as San Gimignano. It's busy with tourists during the day but at night it is much quieter. You can get there by bus and there is parking just outside the city wall if you drive. Very beautiful and from there it is easy to reach other cities as well.
Old Mar 7, 19, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, HHonors
We ended up booking a place right outside of Siena for 2 nights, then we'll drive up to Florence and spend 1 night there before heading to Amalfi coast ... thanks for everyone's input!
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Piggybacking onto this thread, a friend has asked me to help plan their trip. They want to spend 5 nights each in two different locations in Tuscany. Probably thinking Siena or thereabouts and possibly Lucca. They aren’t really looking for the hotel thing but would prefer something a bit more rustic. Two couples so either a 2br, 2ba or two separate rooms (which makes AirBNB a bit more of a challenge). Nice, clean, authentic would be great but need not be luxurious. Something about €200/night max., less if possible. Suggestions? I used to live in Italy so I can help them with everything else but have no idea about accommodation that would suit their wants.
Old Jul 19, 19, 1:58 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Piggybacking onto this thread, a friend has asked me to help plan their trip. They want to spend 5 nights each in two different locations in Tuscany. Probably thinking Siena or thereabouts and possibly Lucca. They aren’t really looking for the hotel thing but would prefer something a bit more rustic. Two couples so either a 2br, 2ba or two separate rooms (which makes AirBNB a bit more of a challenge). Nice, clean, authentic would be great but need not be luxurious. Something about €200/night max., less if possible. Suggestions? I used to live in Italy so I can help them with everything else but have no idea about accommodation that would suit their wants.
I'd have them start with AirBnB and plug in 2 bedrooms + 2 bathrooms - I just did a quick search on Lucca and that hit on 300+ properties. Looked at the first (in centro - renovated/modern styling) and it was 65E $62 per night...
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by JMN57 View Post
I'd have them start with AirBnB and plug in 2 bedrooms + 2 bathrooms - I just did a quick search on Lucca and that hit on 300+ properties. Looked at the first (in centro - renovated/modern styling) and it was 65E $62 per night...
Thanks, I’ll have a look. I was hoping someone had a personal recommendation of somewhere they may have used as well. A gem they found. I found a great hotel for them in Florence in another thread that way.

Search this Thread