Reload this Page >

Can I drink the water in Venice?

Can I drink the water in Venice?

Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Perche
There is no tipping in Italy. The waiter receiving the tip doesn't mind getting handed free money from an American, but every Italian in the restaurant hates to see someone tip. There is no tipping in Italy. If the coffee costs .8 euros, you might leave the .2 euros on the counter. If the check in a restaurant is 4.50 euros, you might leave the 0.5. If you leave nothing, that is what is expected. Italians hate when people go there and tip, as in the USA. The waiters don't mind if you hand then your wallet, but Italians don't want that American habit to become standard over there, so even if you have a $500 dinner, no tip is the standard.

No tipping in Italy, so I don't know what you are talking about. It's not as serious as Japan, where if you leave one dollar on the table after eating a $100 meal the manager will send everyone out of the kitchen to track you down and force you to take the dollar back. The fact is, there is no tipping in Italy, so your argument makes no sense.
We both know some American tourists (and some others) do tip in Venice and elsewhere where tipping is not a local habit/expectation, and most tipping, if any, by locals is akin to the rounding up to the nearest euro/currency unit as you note above. Even if the tips, like the printed/written service charges in some places, go to the owner/operator of a place, and even if there were no tipping/service charge, the mark-up on bottled water can be part and parcel of rather lucrative returns for a F&B owner/operator and maybe even for the staff.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
But what's wrong with the water in Venice? I really don't get the issue with the water.
For starters, there's too much of it, particularly at high tide.
MHG and KLouis like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iapetus
For starters, there's too much of it, particularly at high tide.
For starters, who is drinking untreated sea water at high tide or otherwise? Surely, thats not meant to be drinking water piped in as per the OPs mention/inquiry.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by VitaliU
Its perfectly safe to drink. There are also many water fountains all around the city
Right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.