FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy-634/)
-   -   Airport Strike 15 Feb 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/1950628-airport-strike-15-feb-2019-a.html)

sophiesophie Jan 12, 2019 9:46 am

Airport Strike 15 Feb 2019

I checked the strike web page for Italy. I am supposed to leave Venice on Feb 15. yay...
Soooo, now what? Would this ever be cancelled? Do I fly out a day early or stay another day? My flight is an AA flight but operated by BA - what will they do for me?02/15/201902/15/2019CUBplaneWORKERS IN THE AIRCRAFT, AIRPORT AND INDUCED AIRPORTS24 HOURS: FROM 00.01 TO 23.59National21/12/201812/21/2018 10:00Note:ADHESION OF THE OSB TRANSPORTATIONRegione:ItalyProvincia:All

rove312 Jan 12, 2019 10:03 am

Sometimes the strikes are called off. If the strike happens, there's rarely a complete shutdown. I don't know if you're traveling on terms that let you ask for a change of date. BA may post something a few days before about allowing changes; any cancellation might be posted only the day before, or you can take your chances, go to the airport as scheduled, and see what happens.

Perche Jan 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by sophiesophie (Post 30645458)
I checked the strike web page for Italy. I am supposed to leave Venice on Feb 15. yay...
Soooo, now what? Would this ever be cancelled? Do I fly out a day early or stay another day? My flight is an AA flight but operated by BA - what will they do for me?02/15/201902/15/2019CUBplaneWORKERS IN THE AIRCRAFT, AIRPORT AND INDUCED AIRPORTS24 HOURS: FROM 00.01 TO 23.59National21/12/201812/21/2018 10:00Note:ADHESION OF THE OSB TRANSPORTATIONRegione:ItalyProvincia:All

It's too soon to tell. Usually, things don't completely shut down. It's more like a slowdown. Just monitor the situation with your airline. A month is too long to adjust plans this far ahead of time.

sophiesophie Jan 13, 2019 9:50 am

If it isn't completely shut down, then I'll just go with the flow and figure it out when it happens!
Grazie!

Perche Jan 13, 2019 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by sophiesophie (Post 30649073)
If it isn't completely shut down, then I'll just go with the flow and figure it out when it happens!
Grazie!

Still, a week or two before, call your airline and start working on a plan B. There are many strikes planned for February. It's only occasionally that strikes shut things down completely, but your airline should be able to be helpful. I don't know what airline you are using but European airlines, in the event of a strike, are obligated to find you a similar alternative flight at no additional cost to you, and if the timing of the flight is not right for you, they must seek to book you on another airline at no cost. There were 3 airline strikes scheduled for January, and all 3 were called off, so you'll just have to stay on it and see.

sophiesophie Jan 13, 2019 12:40 pm

It is British Airways.

sophiesophie Jan 22, 2019 4:23 pm

Maybe I should change the title to Planes, Trains and Automobiles!

I checked the strike list again. More things to strike were added, I think it is Air Traffic Control that was added. Right now the time shows 00.00 to 24.00. I found their web site - last update said there was going to be a strike on Jan 11 from 1 - 5 pm. I checked flights that took off that day between those hours, all were cancelled that I could see. Morning took off, evening ones resumed. I am hoping that if they do strike, they cut it down to the same hours and my flight is not delayed (12:50 pm).

Also, yesterday, strikes were added for the day I arrive. This time the train. When I booked my airfare, I did a multi-city ticket. I fly into BLQ, arrive around noon on Feb 8. The ticket was quite cheap - less than half the cost if I did a round trip. I love taking the train, so my plan was to take a cab to the train station in Bologna, there is train that leaves every hour to Venice. 2-2.5 hr train ride, I'd likely get to Venice around 4-5pm. Perfect, what could go wrong?

Train strike is from 3 am Feb 8 to 2 am Feb 9:08/2/201909/2/2019ORSA FERROVIEFerroviarioPERSONNEL SOC. TRENITALIA SALE AND ASSISTANCE SECTOR23 HOURS: FROM 03.00 OF 8/2 TO 02.00 OF 9/2National8/2/20199/2/2019OSR ORSA FERROVIEFerroviarioPERSONNEL SOC. TRENITALIA EQUIPMENT AND DISTRIBUTION DPLH LIGURIA23 HOURS: FROM 3.00 OF 8/2 TO THE 2.00 OF 9/2Local8/2/20198/2/2019ORSA FERROVIEFerroviarioPERSONNEL MOBILE (MACHINES AND CAPO TRAIN) OF THE SOC. TRENITALIA8 HOURS: FROM 9.01 TO 16.59National
Is this just Trenitalia? Should I plan to take another train? Found a site where they say other trains will be very full, and you should try to get a ticket before they are sold out.

I really don't want to buy a train ticket until I get there as anything could happen - like my flight to LHR and/or BLQ is delayed and my schedule is entirely messed up.

I'm ok with waiting to see what happens when I get there, but it there anything that I should be doing now?

:D! Jan 27, 2019 4:55 am

Where are you getting this "strike list"?

If no trains are running, there are coaches from Bologna to Venice at the time you want, and you can book a ticket online for €5 today as an insurance in case you aren't able to go by train.

Italo seems not to have a train at the times you want to go, but there is one at 1330 and one at 1630.

My understanding is that TrenItalia regional trains can't sell out and only have one price, which seems to be €12.75 for your journey, which you will be able to buy on the day if it is running even if the Frecce trains have sold out. It is only about 20 minutes slower than FrecciaRossa services. I suppose it may be very crowded if other trains are cancelled, which is why you have the backup option of the bus

sophiesophie Jan 27, 2019 6:32 am

Scioperi - mit2

http://translate.google.com/translat...peri&sandbox=1

I'll figure it out!

Perche Jan 27, 2019 11:07 am

Originally Posted by sophiesophie (Post 30705940)

It says at this time the strike is still on. I'd call BA and see what contingency plans they have.

rove312 Jan 27, 2019 11:36 am

About the train, when I've observed it, it's been promised that Freccia trains would run on strike days, but I don't know if that's changed recently. There's currently this page listing, by number, the trains that are promised to run on strike days in general, which you can check against the train you're considering.

sophiesophie Jan 27, 2019 2:28 pm

I will contact BA in a few days. I'm hoping the strikes get cancelled. I don't want to call just yet as we have a huge storm predicted for the midwest tonight/tomorrow and my question can wait for a few more days.

Thanks for the train information!

SofiaSanz Jan 28, 2019 4:52 am

Sometimes strikes get canceled but to be completely sure, If I were you, I would contact the airline to see if there's a different plane to take on the same date. Hope at the end the strike is canceled and you can enjoy your flight without any problem!

sophiesophie Jan 29, 2019 6:53 am

I talked to BA. They said they would contact passengers 3-4 days ahead if a strike is planned. They said they would may allow us to fly out of different cities. I have to wait for the notification to see what the options will are.

Unfortunately, this is the same day as of the last day of the temporary lift of our government shut down. I am hoping there are no major issues with that!

KLouis Jan 29, 2019 7:07 am

Originally Posted by sophiesophie (Post 30713963)
I...{snip}...Unfortunately, this is the same day as of the last day of the temporary lift of our government shut down. I am hoping there are no major issues with that!

I really doubt that anybody in the US will realize that there is a major transportation strike in Italy. I also doubt that anybody in Italy will realize that the US government will shut down again. At any rate, the sciopero will create problems but Italian strikes in the last years have shown to be much better planned than 10-20 years ago, so there are always some ways around them. Good luck! :)