Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

MXP to Castello díArgile

MXP to Castello díArgile

Old Jan 8, 19, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
MXP to Castello díArgile

Iím looking to get to Castello díArgile in late March. Flying oneworld PE the fare difference between the nonstop AA NYC-MXP and one stop BA NYC-BLQ is significant enough that Iím considering doing the former and taking a train. I will have a 26Ē spinner and smaller carryon spinner (no choice there) and am somewhat worried about negotiating my way when I canít lift both bags at once. Does this sound doable? How much time should I plan for to pick up luggage, clear immigration and customs, and get myself from MXP to Milano Centrale, all without speaking Italian?
Old Jan 8, 19, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07 View Post
I’m looking to get to Castello d’Argile in late March. Flying oneworld PE the fare difference between the nonstop AA NYC-MXP and one stop BA NYC-BLQ is significant enough that I’m considering doing the former and taking a train. I will have a 26” spinner and smaller carryon spinner (no choice there) and am somewhat worried about negotiating my way when I can’t lift both bags at once. Does this sound doable? How much time should I plan for to pick up luggage, clear immigration and customs, and get myself from MXP to Milano Centrale, all without speaking Italian?
Leaving MXP via train is pretty trivial. I would say that an hour is more than adequate for planning purposes - assuming no lost luggage. I've gotten off the plane, through immigration, pick-up checked luggage and out to the car rental area which is right next to the train and Sheraton in as fast as 35 minutes or so - all walking.

f you have two spinners, I am assuming that rolling both at the same time is not a problem (although there are carts @ MXP as well) and going from baggage claim to the train is simply walking to the elevator, descending down to the bottom level and then a 100 yard or so walk from the elevator to the train area. As I recall, there are escalators (I think also elevator - someone who knows can chime in) down to the train platform - that would be your only challenge @ MXP I would think. The biggest challenge is getting on/off the train which sounds like you will have to do in two passes or, perhaps, getting some help from someone. That's probably the same challenge @ Milano Centrale and @ the Bologna station as well.
sambagrrl07 likes this.

Last edited by JMN57; Jan 8, 19 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 8, 19, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMN57 View Post
Leaving MXP via train is pretty trivial. I would say that an hour is more than adequate for planning purposes - assuming no lost luggage. I've gotten off the plane, through immigration, pick-up checked luggage and out to the car rental area which is right next to the train and Sheraton in as fast as 35 minutes or so - all walking.

f you have two spinners, I am assuming that rolling both at the same time is not a problem (although there are carts @ MXP as well) and going from baggage claim to the train is simply walking to the elevator, descending down to the bottom level and then a 100 yard or so walk from the elevator to the train area. As I recall, there are escalators (I think also elevator - someone who knows can chime in) down to the train platform - that would be your only challenge @ MXP I would think. The biggest challenge is getting on/off the train which sounds like you will have to do in two passes or, perhaps, getting some help from someone. That's probably the same challenge @ Milano Centrale and @ the Bologna station as well.
Thanks for the reassurance - yes, I can roll both at the same time. Iíve read horror stories of people grabbing your luggage at Milano Centrale, which gives me pause, though Iím a NYer and generally donít let people get over like that on me.
Old Jan 8, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
As a NYer you should be fine in Milano Centrale, particularly if you arrive by train. They have a sort of security check to get on to the platform which keeps some of the less desirables out. If you would be arriving from MXP by train you would be "Trainside" (i.e., inside the security zone) and would then go across the platform to catch your train.

As noted above the issue would be getting on to your train at Centrale and off again, as you will have to haul both suitcases up a few steps and then figure out how to stow them on the train. The train from MXP does not have steps and with luck you can get down to the platform without schlepping your bags (escalator).

[I say sort of a security check since you can present fairly random tickets and if you do not appear to be homeless they let you on the platform, not exactly Boarding Pass plus matching ID)]
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 19, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckendall View Post
As a NYer you should be fine in Milano Centrale, particularly if you arrive by train. They have a sort of security check to get on to the platform which keeps some of the less desirables out. If you would be arriving from MXP by train you would be "Trainside" (i.e., inside the security zone) and would then go across the platform to catch your train.

As noted above the issue would be getting on to your train at Centrale and off again, as you will have to haul both suitcases up a few steps and then figure out how to stow them on the train. The train from MXP does not have steps and with luck you can get down to the platform without schlepping your bags (escalator).

[I say sort of a security check since you can present fairly random tickets and if you do not appear to be homeless they let you on the platform, not exactly Boarding Pass plus matching ID)]
Oh, thatís reassuring as well. Iíve managed an even larger suitcase combo on the Deutsche Bahn so I should be able to do handle the few stairs to get on the train. Itís the long staircases up and down to platforms that would be hard.

Thank you both!
Old Jan 8, 19, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
The PE fare in/out of MXP is certainly more attractive than BLQ. It's a trade-off I made for February as BLQ is closer to my house in Italy than MXP (but only by 30 minutes) so my wife and I are going via MXP on that trip.

Even more attractive is ex-MXP RTs vs. Ex-USA fares. We're actually in the middle of a BLQ-PHL-BLQ trip but had to go back for a couple of weeks in Feb (starting in USA). I'm pricing our end of summer return and am getting MXP-JFK (PE) and then a return JFK-MXP (J) for $1250 which is a great price. Reverse the direction and the fare jumps to $2000. Pure PE fare ex-MXP is < $1000 RT which is a great deal.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 19, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMN57 View Post
The PE fare in/out of MXP is certainly more attractive than BLQ. It's a trade-off I made for February as BLQ is closer to my house in Italy than MXP (but only by 30 minutes) so my wife and I are going via MXP on that trip.

Even more attractive is ex-MXP RTs vs. Ex-USA fares. We're actually in the middle of a BLQ-PHL-BLQ trip but had to go back for a couple of weeks in Feb (starting in USA). I'm pricing our end of summer return and am getting MXP-JFK (PE) and then a return JFK-MXP (J) for $1250 which is a great price. Reverse the direction and the fare jumps to $2000. Pure PE fare ex-MXP is < $1000 RT which is a great deal.
Yep, Iím looking at ~$900 RT on AA as opposed to BAís $1,800. No contest.
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Yep, Iím looking at ~$900 RT on AA as opposed to BAís $1,800. No contest.
Hmm, and for $50 more for a BA marketed flight I'll get twice the EQDs!
Old Jan 12, 19, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Hi all - one more question, which I can ask in the European Rail forum if that's more appropriate: to avoid exiting the platform area at Milano Centrale but not commit myself to a particular Milan-Bologna train in case of air travel delays, would it be possible for me to buy a ticket on the Trenitalia website once I'm at MXP and know my Malpensa Express timing to Milano Centrale? In other words, would I get the email confirmation code in time? I know I'd be paying full price.
Old Jan 12, 19, 12:56 pm

Yes, but you could also buy a paper ticket at the kiosk at MXP station; you could also buy tickets from the kiosk there for the full package from MXP.
Old Jan 12, 19, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312 View Post
Yes, but you could also buy a paper ticket at the kiosk at MXP station; you could also buy tickets from the kiosk there for the full package from MXP.
Great - thanks so much. Good to know what my options are.
Old Jan 12, 19, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
You can also buy tickets online (from your phone) and show the conductor your phone on most trains. I often use the trainline eu app but there are other ways to do that.
Old Jan 12, 19, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckendall View Post
You can also buy tickets online (from your phone) and show the conductor your phone on most trains. I often use the trainline eu app but there are other ways to do that.
Yes, thatís what Iím contemplating - had trouble in Germany using my US credit card at a kiosk so am thinking of Trainline or Trenitalia.
Old Mar 30, 19, 11:11 am
Original Poster

I'm reporting back that I successfully negotiated the trains from MXP to Milano Centrale to Bologna Centrale. You do indeed exit the Malpensa Express right onto the shared waiting area for all platforms and there is no need to exit to the main station hall. I purchased my Malpensa Express ticket via the Trainline app on my phone as I was walking to the airport station and the Frecciarossa ticket from Milan to Bologna via the Trenitalia app as I was standing in the waiting area at Milano Centrale. It was all very seamless.

I did have trouble using Trainline at Milano Centrale (I thought I'd try an Italo train since I had booked my return from Bologna to Milan on Trenitalia), so I ended up on Trenitalia.
obscure2k and allset2travel like this.

Last edited by sambagrrl07; Mar 30, 19 at 11:27 am
Old Mar 30, 19, 11:25 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I'm reporting back that I successfully negotiated the trains from MXP to Milano Centrale to Bologna Centrale. You do indeed exit the Malpensa Express right onto the shared waiting area for all platforms and there is no need to exit to the main station hall. I purchased my Malpensa Express ticket via the Trainline app on my phone as I was talking to the airport station and the Frecciarossa ticket from Milan to Bologna via the Trenitalia app as I was standing in the waiting area at Milano Centrale. It was all very seamless.

I did have trouble using Trainline at Milano Centrale (I thought I'd try an Italo train since I had booked my return from Bologna to Milan on Trenitalia), so I ended up on Trenitalia.
Appreciate your reporting back. Glad it all worked out so well
sambagrrl07 likes this.

Search this Thread