Wiki Posts
Search

Milan public transport options

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Milan public transport options

Hi,

I'm a touch confused as to what the best transport options for my Milan itinerary next month are. The gist of what I'll be doing is:

- Arrive LIN around 11am Sunday
- Drop bags at hotel which is located right on the 73 bus line into town
- Do a few hours of generic tourist stuff in the city centre in the afternoon, check into hotel
- Go to game at San Siro in the evening with some beers en route
- Retire to hotel, then a bit more generic sightseeing in the morning before heading to MXP for a 3pm flight back home

Is there anything that'll cover all this in one go? I'd figure that for everything but the trip out to Malpensa there's a 24 hour card/ticket that's available, but I don't know whether there's anything which would also cover one way to the airport that I'm missing. Thanks in advance people
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:12 am

No, airport bus/train are separate companies so separate tickets.

I see with pleasure that the daily ticket is now valid 24h from the first validation. It used to be valid only until the end of service.

And I hope you're going to see Inter Milan
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Just wanted to add that the carnet of 10 tickets for city public transportation seems to be €18 now, which is a lot dearer than it used to be. So I will stick to buying tickets as I need them.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:04 pm

Also worth noting that in Milan now you can just tap your contactless card in the metro like in London. The maximum daily fare is that of a 24h ticket. Much easier than dealing with tickets.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you do that on the bus? Thinking of the bus 73 from Linate.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
Can you do that on the bus? Thinking of the bus 73 from Linate.
From LIN no, because the trip has to start in the subway.

Going to LIN yes if you start your trip in the subway, say, you take the subway from Loreto to Duomo, tap out, and then you can board the bus until the end of the ticket time validity, which is 90 minutes from the beginning of your trip in Loreto.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I right about the increase in the price of the 10 ride carnet and tickets in general? As I mentioned in the pizza thread, the prices in Italy seem to have been jacked up and surely the people who live there must have noticed (let’s face it, nobody notices anything unless it concerns money). The bus/metro in Milan now costs about the same as a ride in Geneva, unthinkable a few short years ago (in Geneva, you can go anywhere for CHF2 with the half-fare card, otherwise it’s CHF3).
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, just a quick question, hoping I get a response before tomorrow (Monday). When I validate a ticket on the 73 bus from MIlan Linate, can I transfer later onto the metro on the same ticket? Or is it like New York was the last time I was there, where you can transfer from the subway to bus, but not from bus to subway?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:21 am

Programs: LH SEN, AZ CFA
Yes, you should be able to do it inside the general time validity of your ticket.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s great, I.CRIS, thanks for coming back so quickly about this. Otherwise I would have sought a different route for getting to the Rataná restaurant, using only buses.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Milan today, I took the bus 73 in from LIN and jumped on the S5 train from Porta Vittoria to Porta Garibaldi. I'm not sure my €2 bus ticket permitted me to transfer onto an S train instead of the metro, looking back at it, but there was no turnstile in both stations. Coming back I took the metro from Gioia to Piola, then from there the no. 90 bus due south to the cross street along which runs the 73.

A couple more questions. Do you have to revalidate the ticket when you get on the bus or can you just hop on (I just hopped on). And can you go in any direction of travel during the validity of the ticket, or only in one continuous journey (like in Germany)?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:24 am

Well, I'm not from Milano and ATM website is not 100% clear, even in Italian, but I made a little search and found all answers on the Corriere della Sera.

In Milan today, I took the bus 73 in from LIN and jumped on the S5 train from Porta Vittoria to Porta Garibaldi. I'm not sure my €2 bus ticket permitted me to transfer onto an S train instead of the metro, looking back at it, but there was no turnstile in both stations. Coming back I took the metro from Gioia to Piola, then from there the no. 90 bus due south to the cross street along which runs the 73.
Good: inside the town picking a S line or Metro does not change.
A couple more questions. Do you have to revalidate the ticket when you get on the bus or can you just hop on (I just hopped on).
Just hop on, but beware other cities might have different rules (e.g. Torino)
And can you go in any direction of travel during the validity of the ticket, or only in one continuous journey (like in Germany)?
Yes, during the validity you can do almost what you want, in the limit of the zones your ticket is valid for.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great, thanks, that's what I intuitively felt it would be. It's fairly close to the Swiss system.
But you are sure about being able to use the S trains within the central zone?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the Milano card worth getting? The website suggests its good at a bunch of museums but then also says you can only use it at attractions a limited number of times daily without explaining what that means.

Also, if one gets a 10 ride "carnet" for public transit, can it be shared between two people?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:25 am

But you are sure about being able to use the S trains within the central zone?
Yes.

From https://nuovosistematariffario.atm.it/

I nuovi titoli di viaggio saranno validi su tutta la rete gestita da ATM e dagli altri operatori privati nonché sulle tratte della rete ferroviaria gestita da Trenord comprese nell'area del bacino STIBM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.