Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Milan and Venice in late December .

Old Oct 28, 18, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Dear Milan and Venice experts ,

We are planning to travel to Milan and Venice on Dec 25 for 1 week . We are worry about flooding in Venice .Should we change our travel plan .

Thank you for your time !
Old Oct 28, 18, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by bayareas View Post

We are planning to travel to Milan and Venice on Dec 25 for 1 week . We are worry about flooding in Venice .Should we change our travel plan .

I have been in Venice in the winter, specifically around Xmas. Don't let the prospect of a bit of flooding deter you from visiting. I have been to Venice countless times and flooding has never been an issue. Yes, St. Marks Square may be flooded at times, but everyone seems to manage. Enjoy Venice at Christmas. It is a magic place during the winter holidays
Old Oct 28, 18, 9:02 pm

Unless you are planning to buy property on the round floor in Venice, I would certainly not worry much about it. It can happen, yes, but it can also happen during summer (rather rate), spring and autumn. As a matter of fact, flooding of tourists is more predictable and frequent than "acqua alta". I fully agree with our Mod's opinion and I'd add to it that if it happens, you'll be able to shoot some really nice pictures that your friends and relatives will like!
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 29, 18, 10:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Accidental DL Silver
I just read that 70% of Venice is flooded right now. I have been to Venice when parts of it were flooded and it wasn’t a problem. But, this is much higher. The pictures even show people with suitcases pulling them through the water. We are going to be there in late November and I am considering changing plans if the water doesn’t recede. I can move to Verona if necessary.
Old Oct 29, 18, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by KathinJax View Post
I just read that 70% of Venice is flooded right now. I have been to Venice when parts of it were flooded and it wasn’t a problem. But, this is much higher. The pictures even show people with suitcases pulling them through the water. We are going to be there in late November and I am considering changing plans if the water doesn’t recede. I can move to Verona if necessary.
The water will likely recede within a day or so. Don't cancel your plans. I am also going to be there in late November. You will be fine Enjoy Venice in November. That is when you will eat the very best food, encounter few tourists and weather will be relatively mild. A down jacket and sweater works for me . Layer up, read this forum for dining suggestions and enjoy!
KathinJax likes this.
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Nothing is so magical than Venice in the winter with the snow gently falling. Wander off into the back streets, away from San Marco and the ugliness of Rialto. It's quiet, the snow dampens the noise and a hush descends. The closest thing I can relate it to is the Act III of La Boheme @ the Met except it's not something to observe but rather something to feel, to experience...
obscure2k and KathinJax like this.
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by JMN57 View Post
Nothing is so magical than Venice in the winter with the snow gently falling. Wander off into the back streets, away from San Marco and the ugliness of Rialto. It's quiet, the snow dampens the noise and a hush descends. The closest thing I can relate it to is the Act III of La Boheme @ the Met except it's not something to observe but rather something to feel, to experience...
Great minds think alike
KathinJax likes this.
Old Oct 30, 18, 4:18 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Accidental DL Silver
Originally Posted by obscure2k View Post
The water will likely recede within a day or so. Don't cancel your plans. I am also going to be there in late November. You will be fine Enjoy Venice in November. That is when you will eat the very best food, encounter few tourists and weather will be relatively mild. A down jacket and sweater works for me . Layer up, read this forum for dining suggestions and enjoy!
Thank you! My fiancé has never been to Italy and Venice was his first choice. But, I do not wade through water, especially sea or lagoon water. I had experienced flooding in Venice before, but it was relatively mild - nothing like the pictures yesterday.
Old Oct 30, 18, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by KathinJax View Post

Thank you! My fiancé has never been to Italy and Venice was his first choice. But, I do not wade through water, especially sea or lagoon water. I had experienced flooding in Venice before, but it was relatively mild - nothing like the pictures yesterday.
It's a tidal phenomena. There are two low tides and two high tides per day, so if it is high tide, it soon recedes to low tide. Aqua Alta usually only lasts for an hour or two, and it depends on where you are. San Marco has the worse. Stay away from there when aqua Alta is forecast. They sell plastic boots, or sturdier wellingtons that are a bit more expensive on the waterfront. Just go into the back streets of Castello to a hardware store and buy them for cheap, and enjoy the experience. You'll only need them for a few hours, because that's how long aqua Alta lasts. And except in the back small canals in Venice, the water there is clean because it's flushed in and out of the Bay by hight and low tide twice a day. I've gone for runs in Venice, and the high water comes in, and there's no way out and I'm trapped. I just head to a bar, have a cup of coffee or wine and pasty, wait and hour, and it's over, and I run back to my apartment. I hate when I go to Venice (I was there last week) and there's no aqua Alta.

High aqua Alta is defined as when 50% of Venice is flooded, which means the other half is dry. It happens every four years or so. Regular Alta aqua is when 14% of the city is flooded, so no big deal at all unless you are staying in San Marco, the lowest point in the city, but where you shouldn't stay for other reasons. Remember that they have sirens to let you know if there will be aqua Alta, and you get hours of advance notice, and even during highest aqua alto, 50% of the island is dry, so if your husband is scared of it, tell him to go to the half of the island that is dry, and go shopping, or have a bite for lunch or dinner.
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:12 pm

To set the latest acqua alta situation in its right frame, there was a big storm that hit most of Italy, leading to lots of damages all over the peninsula and a number of fatalities (>10). Trees fell down, rivers flooded, mud slides occurred, and Venice was hit by "only" a bigger flood that "usual". At situations like that in all of the country most people tried to stay inside, and not only people affected by acqua alsta in Venice. My "point" is that throughout the world (very) bad weather that can't be predicted months ahead can create big problems to tourists, since they are usually visiting a place within a pre-determined period of time. Avoiding Venice on December 25 because there was a big storm in late October is sort of illogical!
Old Nov 2, 18, 6:01 am

Programs: Hyatt
As other said above, October flood will have no effect on your trip to Venice. I hope you are spending as much of that 1 week in Venice as possible.
Old Nov 3, 18, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by bayareas View Post

Most overrated and worthless place to visit in Italy? Milan. Second, almost anywhere in Tuscany, where the street signs are now in English, due to all the publicity the region has spent billions on popularizing, and where all you do is tussle with people getting on and off tour buses.

From a recent book by John Henderson, an American ex-pat, long-time resident of Italy:
"In a country as often visited as Italy, there are bound to be some tourist traps – as well some hidden gems that get past the guidebooks. American writer John Henderson gives his list of which destinations to skip and which to seek out. What doesn’t the average traveller know about my adopted country? A lot. Italy isn’t all quiet canals, Dolomites and cappuccini in dreamy piazzas, ancient islands in an azure sea and endless vineyards in the Tuscan countryside.

It has its sore spots. It doesn’t have many. I struggled to find five overrated places in Italy. But they are there and as you all plan vacations for 2019, here’s a tip sheet: Italy’s most overrated and underrated destinations.

I’ve been to all of them. Use it as a warning; use it as an insider’s tip. But use it. And feel free to weigh in with your thoughts. (Those threatening my life please form a line to the right.)Most overrated

1. Milan

Photo: Miguel Medina/AFP

It’s Newark with a big church. The Duomo is worth a visit. The white facade with 135 spires looks like a birthday cake. But once you get past that, Milan visually pales compared to other Italian cities. Don’t blame the Milanese. It’s not their fault Allied forces bombed the place back to the Stone Age in World War II. But what’s built in its place is too modern to look historical, too old to look clean.

The weather is usually awful. Yes, you can see the Alps from there — on July 15th, about the only day there’s good enough weather to see past architecture as dull as Milanese cuisine. When your headlining dish is osso buco, a sloppy veal stew, you don’t deserve to be called Italian. Plus, their soccer teams suck. (Forza Roma!)."

https://www.thelocal.it/20181031/ita...d-destinations
Old Dec 26, 18, 4:03 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Actually, Perché, I find Milan one of the places I like the most. Maybe that's because the endless crowds of tourists simply stay away. Maybe it's because I find oases of beauty in much maligned places, such as the Ruhrgebiet in Germany. You only have to keep your eyes open and look up in the streets of Milan, and you can find all sorts of interesting details. And the bars and restaurants, if you know where to go, can be simply great.

While I'm posting, I will be there on Saturday 5th January. Do you think I will be able to find a decent lunch place, or will everything still be closed up? I recall a place where railway employees used to go, not far from Stazione Centrale, where I had an excellent lunch once. I found out about it on this forum, in a thread about dining in Milan (I will go searching for that thread in a moment, hopefully I can find it again). Might have been the Osteria del Treno on via S. Gregorio, which is straight down via Vittor Pisani about 3 blocks then left down the side street that via S. Gregorio is. Ah... I've just seen on their website that there is no lunch service on Saturdays.
KathinJax likes this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:48 pm

As someone who lived in Milan for a few months and commuted across the city via subway, I'll speak up in defence of it. It's definitely not touristy (even the Brera, via Montenapoleone areas) but it is the real Italy in a way that say many of the smaller tourist towns in Lombardia/ Veneto/ Emilia Romagna are not. Definitely worth a visit if for no other reason to stop orientalising the Italians. The food, art (Last Supper, Pinacoteca Brera) and shopping are good too. But don't expect beauty otherwise.
Old Jan 3, 19, 4:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That's totally right, but beauty so to speak is not far away, as Como (Lake Como) and Stresa (Lake Maggiore) are not far away, as well as many other places.

Search this Thread