Community
Wiki Posts
Search

16 days solo trip in Italy, itinerary and general advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Nyehhh
I probably will avoid buses, the metro would be the most likely option. Would you say walking from the Vatican to the Colosseum is doable? I was thinking along the same lines of walking along the Tiber for photographs before finding a place for lunch/crossing over.
All my accomodations are within walking distance of the main train station for convenience, should be good to walk around then! I was planning to take the metro to the Vatican, but walk to the Colosseum. Google maps says it's an hour or so of walking, so I thought it would be doable. Is it not advisable?
These questions cannot be answered. You might be a fit 25 year old who could easily walk to the Vatican from the Colosseum. Or, you could be older, with some health issues, who could not do it.

Your biggest concern is that you wrote that your accommodations are near the main train station. It's pretty common knowledge that you should avoid staying near train stations in Italy. Especially in Rome.

There is an American named John Henderson from the USA who moved to Rome around 2011, and is absolutely in love with the city. He's a writer, and has written extensively about Rome. In his book, "American Gladiator in Rome," he wrote, "We spent those early days in Termini, a neighborhood more akin to Rome's purgatory. You stay there before you cross over into the real beauty of Rome. The neighborhood of Termini is often the first view tourists get of the city, particularly those who take the train from the other spokes of the Italian tourist quadrangle of Milan, Venice, and Florence. Termini is the reason why when tourists list their favorite Italian cities, Rome rarely hits number 1. As European train stations go, Termini is one of the nicest ones."

"What kills Termini's reputation, and in a way, first impressions of Rome, is the neighborhood. In the USA there is the other side of the tracks. This is the tracks. Directly across the street on Via Goliti is a steady stream of grungy cafes, a McDonalds, and some of the most vile pizza in all of Italy. One cafe has a Mexican theme and a major latin clientele who stand outside drinking Peroni, known as possibly the worst national beer in the Eastern Hemisphere. Prostitutes prowl the main streets around the terminal day and night. Some actually are women. It's not a dangerous neighborhood. Compared to train stations in the USA, Termini is like Mill Valley, California. But in a city where beauty is an art form, where architecture is as valued as that perfect dish of pasta, Termini is a broken Peroni bottle in a sea of crystal wine glasses."

I think it has gotten better since he wrote that in his recent book, but Termini neighborhood is the only place where a group of thugs ever tried to mug me. The only reason to ever stay near the train station is if you need to catch a very early morning train, you can stay in a hotel in the neighborhood the night before.Staying there, you'll be missing out on being able to just go outside and go to a beautiful plaza for a coffee or glass of wine. Having said that, if you know Rome, you can be in very fine plazas within 5-10 minutes, but you'd have to know where to go, and you don't want to be walking back to your hotel late at night carrying your camera in that area. In that neighborhood your not going to be hearing a Puccini opera coming out of someone's window. You're going to be hearing continuous honking horns.

No one can give you advice about where you can walk to, since you haven't provided any information about yourself to allow a judgement.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I probably will avoid buses, the metro would be the most likely option. Would you say walking from the Vatican to the Colosseum is doable? I was thinking along the same lines of walking along the Tiber for photographs before finding a place for lunch/crossing over.
Yes you can. A leisurely hour stroll. Not sure how scenic I would consider the Tiber. It is not really a focal point. And I love rivers or water of any sort.
A stroll through the city will offer more interest I think, there is always something around every corner in Rome it seems. Don't take the direct route. A couple blocks off the river. Piazzas and other interesting sites.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
All my accomodations are within walking distance of the main train station for convenience, should be good to walk around then! I was planning to take the metro to the Vatican, but walk to the Colosseum. Google maps says it's an hour or so of walking, so I thought it would be doable. Is it not advisable?
Please don't do this unless you're sure you know what you're doing. In most big European cities, the area around the train station tends to be grungy, dirty, crime ridden, etc. and is often also the red light district. Rome is certainly no exception to the general rule.
beltway likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Perche
...[SNIP]...There is an American named John Henderson from the USA who moved to Rome around 2011, and is absolutely in love with the city. He's a writer, and has written extensively about Rome. In his book, "American Gladiator in Rome," he wrote, "We spent those early days in Termini, a neighborhood more akin to Rome's purgatory. ..[very long SNIP]....
Henderson's description of the Termini area is the most accurate one I have ever read, so accurate that after reading it, since I haven't been there since September 2017, it almost made me book a trip to Rome! This can only have been written by somebody who really loves the city, and the amazing feature is that you won't find the tiniest bit of exaggeration! @OP: if possible follow his and Perche's advice and cancel your hotel reservation...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
These questions cannot be answered. You might be a fit 25 year old who could easily walk to the Vatican from the Colosseum. Or, you could be older, with some health issues, who could not do it.

Your biggest concern is that you wrote that your accommodations are near the main train station. It's pretty common knowledge that you should avoid staying near train stations in Italy. Especially in Rome.

There is an American named John Henderson from the USA who moved to Rome around 2011, and is absolutely in love with the city. He's a writer, and has written extensively about Rome. In his book, "American Gladiator in Rome," he wrote, "We spent those early days in Termini, a neighborhood more akin to Rome's purgatory. You stay there before you cross over into the real beauty of Rome. The neighborhood of Termini is often the first view tourists get of the city, particularly those who take the train from the other spokes of the Italian tourist quadrangle of Milan, Venice, and Florence. Termini is the reason why when tourists list their favorite Italian cities, Rome rarely hits number 1. As European train stations go, Termini is one of the nicest ones."

"What kills Termini's reputation, and in a way, first impressions of Rome, is the neighborhood. In the USA there is the other side of the tracks. This is the tracks. Directly across the street on Via Goliti is a steady stream of grungy cafes, a McDonalds, and some of the most vile pizza in all of Italy. One cafe has a Mexican theme and a major latin clientele who stand outside drinking Peroni, known as possibly the worst national beer in the Eastern Hemisphere. Prostitutes prowl the main streets around the terminal day and night. Some actually are women. It's not a dangerous neighborhood. Compared to train stations in the USA, Termini is like Mill Valley, California. But in a city where beauty is an art form, where architecture is as valued as that perfect dish of pasta, Termini is a broken Peroni bottle in a sea of crystal wine glasses."

I think it has gotten better since he wrote that in his recent book, but Termini neighborhood is the only place where a group of thugs ever tried to mug me. The only reason to ever stay near the train station is if you need to catch a very early morning train, you can stay in a hotel in the neighborhood the night before.Staying there, you'll be missing out on being able to just go outside and go to a beautiful plaza for a coffee or glass of wine. Having said that, if you know Rome, you can be in very fine plazas within 5-10 minutes, but you'd have to know where to go, and you don't want to be walking back to your hotel late at night carrying your camera in that area. In that neighborhood your not going to be hearing a Puccini opera coming out of someone's window. You're going to be hearing continuous honking horns.

No one can give you advice about where you can walk to, since you haven't provided any information about yourself to allow a judgement.
Apologies, I didn't realise I had forgotten to put that in. I'm 23, no big health conditions, so able to walk for long distances. An hour's walk is perfectly fine for me, which is why I'm considering walking from the Vatican to the Colosseum.

Apologies again, when I said near the train stations, I meant around a 15-20 minute walk. I understand distance is relative, so my bad for not putting that in.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Yes you can. A leisurely hour stroll. Not sure how scenic I would consider the Tiber. It is not really a focal point. And I love rivers or water of any sort.
A stroll through the city will offer more interest I think, there is always something around every corner in Rome it seems. Don't take the direct route. A couple blocks off the river. Piazzas and other interesting sites.
Perfect, thank you very much!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please don't do this unless you're sure you know what you're doing. In most big European cities, the area around the train station tends to be grungy, dirty, crime ridden, etc. and is often also the red light district. Rome is certainly no exception to the general rule.
Thank you for pointing this out, been too spoiled by Singapore and the safety here. Is an accomodation 15-20 mins away by foot still considered part of that?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:38 pm

Thank you for pointing this out, been too spoiled by Singapore and the safety here. Is an accomodation 15-20 mins away by foot still considered part of that?
Depends in which direction and how fast you walk : Pinciano, Triestino, Parioli, etc, some of the finest areas of Rome are only ~1.5 km away from Termini!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Why don't you just give people the name of the accommodation, and stop stringing it out? What do we have to do to get the information we need to meet your request to help you?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:15 pm

I did my solo Italy trip a month ago (last leg actually; 12 days in total, across France, Switzerland and towards down to "The Boot"). Started actually in Paris via high speed EC TGV..Luzern to Milano via Cisalpino..to Firenze and finally to Roma via Trenitalia & NTV. Went up to topmost summit of Tour Eiffel..visited Louvre..stayed in posh La Marais district (happens to be near Gare du Lyon train station). In Luzern..gondola up to peak of Mt Pilatus (and hike up to it's 3 summits)..a little shopping at Milano and leather markets at Firenze..Vatican visit at Roma, etc. I did ALOT of walking, pic taking, sightseeing, subway rides..BIG THANKS to Google Maps and 10GB data of Orange Holiday SIM 4G LTE service with a French phone #. Totally indispensable!

PS. This was my 2nd Italy trip. The 1st was in Dec 2015 also via HS trains, plus Venice.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Besides the crime, mostly pickpockets of confused tourists during the day, there's nothing much out by Rome's Termini. You will want to take a bus or a taxi and stay in centro storico, around Campo dei Fiori or Piazza Navona.

The station in Florence isn't in a bad location. Florence is small that you can get to other parts of the center. It is convenient for taking trains or buses for day trips to places like Siena. There are also guided tours as well, which depart from that area.

Venice St. Lucia station isn't in a dodgy location but it's far away from central places like the Rialto or San Marco.

In Rome, I would consider taking guided tours of the Vatican, the Forum and the Colisseum because those tours allow you to skip the regular lines. Typically if you can find these tours for around $50, they're not a bad deal. Some of them have hotel pickups too. Check sites like viator.com or getyourguide.com.

You can get food and wine tours in Florence, Rome, Venice. It's a little out of the way to go to Parma. I agree Emilia-Romagna is a worthwhile place to visit but for a first trip, Rome-Florence-Venice on an open-jaw lets you cover a lot of ground.

Anyways it sounds like your trip is set already. Bon voyage!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:15 am
Suspended

Cool A Planned Solo Trip for 16 Days

Rome is really a place that you would want to suck all the marrow of because who might say when you will get your time again? Thus, as I went for my own trip to Rome, I assembled the lying information all around and managed to achieve all that one might wish for in their trip down to Italy and Rome. Here lies a brief itinerary guide you to nad through Italy without a hassle.
Day 0 - Flight to Linate.

Day 1 - Land in Milan, journeying in by a flight. Rest in Milan after sightseeing.

Day 2 - Wake up in Milan and then, travel to Venice in the evening. After sightseeing, sleep in Venice

Day 3 & Day 4 - Roam all around Venice and rest in Venice.

Day 5 - SA you wake up, try to set for Florence, where you will be reaching then, later in the day. Sleep in Florence.

Day 6 - Day trip to Pisa, rest in Florence

Day 7 - Florence

Day 8 - See everything that you wish in Florence during the day and later in the evening, travel to Siena. Then, stay for the night in Siena

Day 9 - Siena

Day 10 - Gor for Naples right in the morning. Sleep in Sorrento/Naples

Day 11 - Travel onwards to Pompeii, check all teh you want to check out there and then, sleep in Sorrento that night.

Day 12 - Travel to Rome, enjoy the sightseeing therein & sleep in Rome

Day 13 - Enjoy in Rome

Day 14 - Remain still in Rome to cover the other attraction, off-beat tourist destinations and beaches.

Day 15 - Head to Rome/Vatican and plunge in amusement.

Day 16 - Stay for the last day and seek for everything that you might be regretting later on in Rome

Day 17 - Fly out of Rome

You would assuredly not miss anything that might bring you dissappointment if you follow my way of journey.
So, set out from your home for Rome, without worrying a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.