Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dolomites - home base or move around?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Dolomites - home base or move around?

I'm just starting the planning for a trip to the Dolomites next September (2019) and would appreciate some advice - Is it better to have one home base hotel and drive to different areas to hike, or move around, such as 2-3 nights in or near Bolzano or Alta Badia, and then 2-3 nights in or near Cortina d'Ampezzo? We will rent a car, but am unsure of the distances involved in order to get to the hiking trails. We are big hikers and more interested in that than simply driving around to see the scenery, so we're planning a longer number of days in the area. Thanks for any input!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by NotALawyer
I'm just starting the planning for a trip to the Dolomites next September (2019) and would appreciate some advice - Is it better to have one home base hotel and drive to different areas to hike, or move around, such as 2-3 nights in or near Bolzano or Alta Badia, and then 2-3 nights in or near Cortina d'Ampezzo? We will rent a car, but am unsure of the distances involved in order to get to the hiking trails. We are big hikers and more interested in that than simply driving around to see the scenery, so we're planning a longer number of days in the area. Thanks for any input!
It was better for us to move around. The villages are absolutely lovely, but keep in mind that the time of year you are going, there will be less going on in those towns. It was easy enough to move from spot to spot, and while it is still mountain driving so slower, it did not take us that long to traverse it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.