Search

LIN / Linate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, OWS
LIN / Linate

Hoping for some input from you guys.
In early October I’ve got a business meeting in the middle of nowhere between Genoa and Milano on Thursday afternoon and will be flying back from LIN on Friday morning.

Unfortunately the plane leaves quite early (7 am) while the SIXT Station isn’t open. Currently weighting my options whether to drop my car in Milano, spend the night there and head out to the airport on public transport or to drop the car of in the evening at the airport and spend the night near LIN. Usually this would be a no brainer but I’ll probably arrive late and have to leave early.

Are there any restaurants and hotels near Linate you guys can recommend?
Is there any good public transit option that gets me to the airport by 6 am without having to spend hours?
How bad is traffic into the city in the evening?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Linate is close enough to the center of Milan (say near the Stazione Centrale/Piazza Repubblica) that I would never stay at an airport hotel (roughly 20 minutes). There is a city bus that starts very early (5:30) and costs 1.5 Euros (see here: https://getbybus.com/en/blog/airport-bus-milan-linate/ ). Taxis are not that expensive on weekdays (maybe 20 Euros all in) and an airport bus but probably not early enough for you.

My experience is traffic is not bad after the dinner hour.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brand new moxy easily walkable from terminal.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
I used to live in Torino, and my preferred airport was Linate. Unlike MXP, it is indeed close to downtown Milan. Maybe a 20 minute, 20-30 euro ride. I haven’t stayed at the Moxy, but I know where it is. They have a shuttle to the airport that takes 15-20 minutes. You can indeed walk to Linate from there in ten minutes, but whether you want to do that early in the morning is one thing, and depending on your luggage burden, you may not want to. In other words, staying in Milan for a good meal and taking a taxi in the AM is one. Staying at the airport is another. Whether you want to walk a quarter mile in the dark with your luggage is another. If you’re a strong walker with carry on only, nothing wrong with that. You can walk there faster than the hotel shuttle. Depending on budget, I think a bus to Linate costs about 1-2 euros. You can eat in Milan and take a bus to the airport the night before. The only bad option is keeping the car. Dump it ASAP.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
I stayed at the Moxy this past summer - no mention was made about a shuttle, nor could I see any signs, so I walked. It is about 15 minutes walking, but be advised that you need to go through a construction zone (at the parking garage area) and cross a highway. As was said above, if I had more than carry-on luggage I definitely would not walk. Also, if raining you would not want to do that. Additionally, it is a pretty solitary walk, so I'm not sure I would do it in the dark - more than anything for the risk of tripping / falling / etc...

All that said, the Moxy is a perfectly nice hotel for an overnight stay.

Bill
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Update: The bus from Milano Centrale to Linate is 5 euro.

https://www.atm.it/it/AltriServizi/T...ne/airbus.aspx
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Please note that Linate Airport will be closed for some months this summer, due to runway maintenance.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold: HHonors Diamond; Accor Silver
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Please note that Linate Airport will be closed for some months this summer, due to runway maintenance.
Thanks for that - I’m looking at a trip to the wine regions in summer and wondered why nothing was going to Linate
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by RHWine

Thanks for that - I’m looking at a trip to the wine regions in summer and wondered why nothing was going to Linate
That's a very good idea, I'd suggest you to try also some less crowded locations in Piemonte (Barolo) and Lombardy (Oltrepo Pavese), where genuine wines are produced and you could enjoy relaxing hills.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:57 pm

Thanks. My current destation I’m exploring and leading tours to is Valtellina: fantastic wines from local Nebbiolo clone and really interesting valley. I’m getting to know producers there and already run one wine holiday.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
My family is from Tirano and it is a beautiful part of the world with amazing wines. You're probably aware that Bergamo is also a good airport with mostly discount carriers and a good connection via Lecco to the Valtellina.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by sydunipete
My family is from Tirano and it is a beautiful part of the world with amazing wines. You're probably aware that Bergamo is also a good airport with mostly discount carriers and a good connection via Lecco to the Valtellina.
excellent. Stayed in Tirano and Sondrio before. Love the valley and also going into Switzerland on the Bernina Express. Haven’t tried the Bergamot option yet, I may when I’ve reached BAEC Gold and don’t need the points that year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.