Reload this Page >

Recommendations for restaraunts, etc in Puglia

Old Aug 5, 18, 8:33 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH, DL

1) I'm cycling 1st week Sept. & prefer not to rely on TripAdvisor for meals. We aren't picky & while 1 or 2 expensive meals are OK, prefer not to spend $$$ daily.
Any restaraunt recommendations for the following cities?
Matera
Alberobello
Ostuni
Gallipoli
Castrignano Del Capo/St Maria di Leuca
Otranto
Lecce

2) Any suggestions for something we should do/see/experience? The average daily ride is about 30 miles a day so will have time.

3) We want to carry food as we might get into town after lunch hours. I surmise (but may be wrong) that grocery stores tend to be closed Sunday, Monday (morning or all day), and Wednesday PM. Will the towns have a farmer's market open every day?

Thank you.
Old Aug 5, 18, 9:08 pm

Walked into Botteghe in Matera and there was a local birthday party, which we were immediately invited to be part of. Had a very nice meal and a memorable evening.
http://www.lebotteghematera.it
In Alberobello, there's a small place called La Cantina. Very good, but the place is only a few tables and popular with everyone in town, so book a table.
Il Ristorante La Cantina
Old Aug 6, 18, 1:40 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Although I've had lunch/dinner in 4 out of the 7 towns listed I don't remember the name of any particular restaurant. What is good, though, is that in all places, food was very decent (typical "southern" cuisine, olive oil no butter ). The only general suggestions I have is to "plan" a few hours in Matera (actually not in Puglia but in Basilicata) and at least one evening in Lecce (beautiful during the day too, but stunning after dark). As for grocery stores, small ones are closed for lunch/siesta (usually from ~1 till ~4) Mo-Sa and all day on Su, big supermarkets are usually open throughout the day during the week and sometimes on Sunday too, opening between 10 and 11 am. Grocery stores are always open on Monday mornings. "Farmers' markets" are found in several towns/villages, often on only one day of the week (closed in the afternoon) as well as on Saturdays in the major town of a wide area, but there is no way of really knowing unless you ask locally. Buying bread and salami or something "similar" should be fine for lunch and will keep you fit till dinner. Actually, you will not get tired of eating stuff like that .

Have a nice vacation, Puglia is a lovely place.
Old Aug 6, 18, 10:47 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Puglia is kind to the wallet, and overall one of the best bangs for the buck around Italy.

In Ostuni we were suggested to try the Osteria Monacelle, in the old town, and their orecchiette did not disappoint.

The dinner was great.

Yes, shops closing times in Puglia are a monumental PITA. No matter what's the season, if you are looking for a snack outside meal time you better starve.

No farmer's markets open all day, at most morning and only in the weekdays.

Of course the best thing you can do for a quick and cheap break, but it's mostly a Bari tradition, is to try the focaccia.

Therefore look out for bakeries and good luck with the opening times.

Second most amazing highlight are the dairy products (cow milk), if you're into it.
Caseificio is where it's at, and get ready to plunge your head into that softly delicious stuff, starting out with the unmissable "burrata".

Goes without saying that everything comes secondary in Puglia after the almighty seafood in on the table, but this option is not suitable for a quick family break nor cheap, unless you go full local and start eating shell seafood raw.

Last edited by Forrest Bump; Aug 6, 18 at 10:56 am
Old Aug 6, 18, 2:09 pm

Very interesting!

We are doing a walking trip in November with almost your same itinerary
Matera
Alberobello
Ostuni
Lecce
Otranto
Santa Cesarea Terme
St Maria di Leuca
and I was going to make the same request as the trip got closer. For now, I'll watch this thread with interest.
Old Aug 6, 18, 8:10 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump View Post
...{snip}...Caseificio is where it's at, and get ready to plunge your head into that softly delicious stuff, starting out with the unmissable "burrata"....{snip}...
Careful when eating burrata while standing somewhere on the street: the chances that you'll need access to a clean shirt afterwards are very, very high! And hopefully your cholesterol and triglycerides blood levels are low before deciding to eat that amazingly delicious cheese! They're bοund to sky-rochet when done.

Last edited by KLouis; Aug 8, 18 at 8:06 pm
Old Aug 7, 18, 12:47 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
once got a big one, devoured on a bench outside a famous caseificio of Andria, and didnt'eat afterwards for two days.

Savage.
Old Aug 23, 18, 2:05 am
hln

In Lecce, one of the best restaurant is Alex. Excellent food.
In the coast, a beautiful beach is Punta Prosciutto.
Visit the Grotta della Poesia, incredible cliffs and natural pools.
Puglia is wonderful. Enjoy
Old Aug 29, 18, 6:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Make sure you eat copious amounts of focaccia! Also, if you are looking for a place to stay, my home is available on airbnb, . It's near Bisceglie. Safe travels. I'll be in Puglia on the 12th.
Old Aug 29, 18, 11:07 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I am grateful for the advice. I’ve made some reservations and am looking forward to the focaccia and cheese, not items that were obvious to me before. From what I’ve seen and read, cycling through Puglia will be wonderful.
Thank you all.
Old Aug 29, 18, 7:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
If you're going to be spending any tie in the city of Bari, or north, and are looking for recommendations for EXCELLENT seafood restaurants, shoot me a PM. IMHO the best seafood I've ever eaten in Italy was in Bari, and I've been everywhere.
Old Oct 11, 18, 9:05 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Puglia is indeed lovely, easy on the wallet with wonderful food and wine. All of us appreciated your suggestions.

The burrata should not be missed. It is wonderful.

Matera La Grotta nei Sassi trendy but very good with engaging service
Vizi degli Angel, #68 on best Gelato list
Alberobello Ristorante le Cantina excellent
Ostuni Osteria Monacelle fantastic food and service
S Maria di Leuca Hotel L’Apprado we ate at our hotel-food and service wonderful
Otranto Pizzeria Horus one of our group wanted pizza and gluten free at that, we all enjoyed our pizzas

Thank you

KLouis and Forrest Bump like this.

Last edited by GMTmin8; Oct 11, 18 at 9:11 pm Reason: autocorrect
Old Oct 12, 18, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by GMTmin8 View Post
Puglia is indeed lovely, easy on the wallet with wonderful food and wine. All of us appreciated your suggestions.

The burrata should not be missed. It is wonderful.

Matera La Grotta nei Sassi trendy but very good with engaging service
Vizi degli Angel, #68 on best Gelato list
Alberobello Ristorante le Cantina excellent
Ostuni Osteria Monacelle fantastic food and service
S Maria di Leuca Hotel L’Apprado we ate at our hotel-food and service wonderful
Otranto Pizzeria Horus one of our group wanted pizza and gluten free at that, we all enjoyed our pizzas

Thank you

Thanks for posting. I will be in all those towns next month and have made a note of the restaurants.

Old Oct 15, 18, 6:17 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
In Lecce there is a Neapolitan pizza place - Pizzeria Napul'è on via Mincio - that is excellent. If you like you pizza spicy, ask for the pepperoncini (it's mixed with the olive oil) so you can add it on top.