Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

First time to Italy - itinerary advice

Old Jun 10, 18, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD

Hello all - my wife and I are planning on heading to Italy in March of 2019. We are thinking of just visiting two cities (Rome and Venice). Rome because, well it's Rome and Venice because I've always been fascinated by the pictures.

We could arrive and start our trip in either city. Departure would be then from the other city. Is there a preference on which to do first?

Initial plan is arrive in Italy on Saturday from US (via European gateway). Five nights in Rome. Three nights in Venice. Depart to US on Sunday. Train between the two cities. If we start trip in Rome we would take an early train to Venice so we have basically 2.5 days in Venice.

Given the amount of options in Rome, we would probably skip the Vatican museums this trip.

We we like to rent apartments vs hotel rooms. Thoughts on doing that in the two cities?

We want to get a day trip to Pompeii in. I understand and this would be a long day, but it is on my wife's list.

we want to have time to wander and sit versus going from site to site. That being said, we have some must do and I don't want those (especially in Rome) to make us too rushed given we really in have 3 days in the city

thoughts and input appreciated

tom

Old Jun 11, 18, 7:07 am

Sounds fine for me for a first time in Italy, although Pompei (from, and back to Rome in a day) will kill you. Perhaps you could plan an extra day (not delete it from the other two cities) and stay overnight in Naples and get to see the Museum, several sites in town (e.g. Cristo velato and more), enjoy pizza, sea food and the views. Or, of course, you plan all of this in a second visit in a year or so.
Old Jun 11, 18, 7:23 am

Programs: Some...
I'd highly suggest to avoid the day trip to pompei.

However, what you could do : spend 4 days in Rome, on Dat 5 in the morning, go to Naples/Pompei and visit in the afternoon/evening and fly to venice on Day 6. In march, you'll have no issue to find cheap fares.

Keep in mind, that on Day 1, you'll probably arrive in the late morning, early after noon which would allow you to enjoy a bit the city (and maybe check some items from your to-do-list)
Old Jun 11, 18, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Originally Posted by thibderoc View Post
However, what you could do : spend 4 days in Rome, on Dat 5 in the morning, go to Naples/Pompei and visit in the afternoon/evening and fly to venice on Day 6. In march, you'll have no issue to find cheap fares.
I hadn't thought of that -- thanks, I'll do some research on that option.
Old Jun 11, 18, 12:18 pm

I like your plan. My first trip to Rome was 5 days, and we were not short on things to do - you'll probably want to come back! Find an Airbnb or equivalent near the Pantheon, that is a nice central point to start from. Pick something "big" each day that you want to walk out to, since the walk to/from will also entertain you pretty well. Rome has a lot to stumble across.

3 nights in Venice is a good start as well - basically, plan one day to get up early and see the very mainstream (and crowded) attractions in/around Piazza San Marco, then spend your next two days hopefully walking out to the less touristy parts of the islands and seeing what catches your interest. Walking around at night is a lot of fun - you'll get lost, but you can't ever be that far from where you need to go.

March is a fantastic time to visit. Not yet too busy, but the weather is nice pretty much everywhere. We're planning a trip for late March 2019 at the moment. I'd discourage trying to squeeze in Pompeii on a short trip - save it for next time. I don't think rushing through it is a great thing, as you're there to see the buried details of an ancient Roman city, right?
Old Jun 11, 18, 12:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I would be more inclined to consider Air BNB in Rome and opt for a hotel in Venice. Good hotel options in Venice and IMHO less need for an apartment. Agree with others about skipping Pompei. Nice itinerary.
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:11 am

Instead of beeing in Venice 2,5 days and 5 days in Rome, I would recommend you to spend at least one day in Florence, a city full of history and art

Search this Thread