FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy-634/)
-   -   Arriving Early in FCO - Need some advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/1908323-arriving-early-fco-need-some-advice.html)

pranu May 8, 2018 8:39 am

Arriving Early in FCO - Need some advice

Folks:

We have 11 of us arriving in Rome at around 0930 from the US and India. Our AirBNB (close to the Vatican) wont allow us to check in before 1400.

We have 4 kids - aged 7, 4, 2, and 2.

So just wondering if you anyone has suggestion on
  1. Something relaxing we can do until check in time
  2. What could we potentially do with our bags, and car seats that we are carrying?
  3. Any suggestions on airport transfer for a large group? Our Airbnb host is offering transport at around 140 Euros - I still need to figure out the details of how they would do so, since we are a large group.
Thanks,
Pranu

KLouis May 9, 2018 11:06 pm

I've never had to travel with such a large group, so I have zero experience. If I were in your place, I would tend to do the following: Get out of the terminal and get 3 taxis or, if you're extremely lucky and find two very large ones, two of them. The cost to any place in the centre of Rome is 48 € for each cab (no tip!!!), which is approximately what the Airbnb host is supposed to offer. There are some cheaper companies but I haven't taken one in a long time, so I would not be in position to recommend a particular one. At any rate, taxi would work for me. As far as your luggage is concerned the only thing that comes to mind is to ask the Airbnb place whether you can "store" it there until your room becomes free. You realize that this is one of the disadvantages of that system compared to a bona fide hotel: I have never, ever been to one which would not agree to help out with the luggage. Even if there is a storage facility in Rome, how to you plan to get from there to your room when it's time to check-in? Finally, as to how you can spend your time, since you will not be in the city before 11-12 am (immigration, collecting the luggage, drive into the city) I'd suggest to walk across the river and then stop at a bar for a light lunch (paninni, pizza bianca, etc.) before going back to the Airbnb for a well-deserved siesta... :)

MSPeconomist May 9, 2018 11:09 pm

Three taxis would mean that one of them is without an adult. This wouldn't be a good idea unless you use the third one just for luggage.

LondonElite May 9, 2018 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29736941)
Three taxis would mean that one of them is without an adult. This wouldn't be a good idea unless you use the third one just for luggage.

Seven adults and four children can be split across three taxis. Now, if you had a fox and a chicken...;)

I think this is much ado about nothing. Take your host’s offer, get there, and have lunch. By the time 11 people have arrived on several different flights, passes through immigration, and collected bags, it’ll be closer to 1100. You’ll sit down to lunch at ca 1200. Problem solved.

JBD May 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by pranu (Post 29729496)
Folks:

We have 11 of us arriving in Rome at around 0930 from the US and India. Our AirBNB (close to the Vatican) wont allow us to check in before 1400.

We have 4 kids - aged 7, 4, 2, and 2.

So just wondering if you anyone has suggestion on
  1. Something relaxing we can do until check in time
  2. What could we potentially do with our bags, and car seats that we are carrying?
  3. Any suggestions on airport transfer for a large group? Our Airbnb host is offering transport at around 140 Euros - I still need to figure out the details of how they would do so, since we are a large group.
Thanks,
Pranu

Regarding your third question: if you've been experiencing good, quick communication with your Airbnb host and therefore have confidence that firstly, you'd be able to know before hand the exact details of how your large group would travel using their transport offer, and that secondly, you'd be able to get a hold of the host immediately should something go amiss at the airport (your flights are late/you can't find the driver, etc.), then I'd use their car service.

But if your communication with the host has been something less - then I'd consider being in charge of your own transfer.

There are stickies at the top of this forum. (For organizational purposes this thread will most likely get moved into the FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread] )

Note the sticky FCO to Rome transportation options Check out its wiki, where you'll find recommendations for two car services that have been used by FTers for years. One of them shows a price for a Mercedes Van for up to 14 people for €140. And the other, Stefano's Rome Cabs would have you in 2 Mercedes vans for €125 total (this price would have your party separated either into 4 and 7, or 5 and 6). My preference would be for Rome Cabs so you won't all be crammed into one van....

Regarding your first two questions there's a new arrivals option at FCO called HelloSky. It's located a short walk from the arrivals terminal, adjacent to the parking structures - picutre attached below. It's a hybrid facility offering lounge and shower access, day use hotel rooms, and regular hotel rooms. Perhaps you could book a day use room or rooms, for the little ones to nap and the adults to refresh. And it could conceivably be a better meeting point if your parties are arriving at different times. There's a dedicated thread about it on the Slow Europe site (which has taken over for the old Slow Travel site), and a review. If you're interested in this place you could post over there with your questions:
Rome FCO Airport: New day/night hotel-lounge

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3016b0ef3c.jpg

But the best option would be if your Airbnb would allow an earlier check in. I realize this is obvious but in the case that you might not have inquired if earlier check in could be given for an addiitional fee - it could prove less costly than paying for Lounge access. If that's not possible I've read on many Airbnb listings reviews stating that the host allowed them to store their luggage - have you explicitly asked your host about this? (Sorry for the obvious suggestions, but I have on more than one occassion failed to check out the obvious so figured it couldn't hurt to post these thoughts!).

Best of luck with your trip and happy and safe travels!

Akcaver May 11, 2018 8:22 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29736994)
I think this is much ado about nothing. Take your host’s offer, get there, and have lunch... You’ll sit down to lunch at ca 1200. Problem solved.

This is pretty much exactly what my wife and I (Granted, only two 30 year old adults) did a year ago. The driver hired by the Air BnB was waiting right at the terminal exit with a sign for us, was very helpful, immaculately dressed (which put me to shame, according to my wife) and took us right to the AirBnB. We were able to drop the bags but had to kill about 8 hours ourselves before check-in (we landed from the US before 7 am).

They usually want cash for this option- dont forget!
If the hosts cannot take your baggage, a quick google search will show multiple bag storage companies in Rome, and one is likely close-ish to your lodging.

pranu May 13, 2018 8:38 am

Folks - thank you all so much! This has been very helpful. We have decided to take the AirBNB host's offer. Will use their driver.

Additionally, after some back and forth, the host agreed to let us store our bags at 11:30. So that makes it a little easier. Will plan to have the driver pick us up around 11:00, Drop the bags off and then just hang out until 2.

Also great to know about the Hello Sky lounges.

A huge thanks again!

Joanna2360 May 14, 2018 1:43 am

In case you need another option or would like a price comparison for your group of 11, you might want to try Blu Car, which will send a van that will accommodate your group plus the number of bags you tell them you have. They speak/write English and will quote you a price once you sent your information to them. The driver will be waiting outside Baggage Claim with a sign with your name on it. I have used them for several years and have found them both reliable and a little cheaper than taxis or other services. They have many different sizes of vehicles. The email contact is:

[email protected]