Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Itinerary advice: Sicily in winter 2019

Old Apr 25, 18, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

hello. I’m hoping to visit Sicily in winter 2019 but I’m not sure what to expect with the weather and what will be open including hotels, restaurants, etc.
I’m looking to spend a few nights on Palermo and a few nights in Taormina with day trips from each.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. This will be my first time visiting Sicily.
Old Apr 25, 18, 8:10 pm

Palermo is a big city and when I visited Taormina once in February, it looked like everything was open. As for the weather, expect anything from high temps and sun to snow and cold (many more chances for the former, though).
Old May 13, 18, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

For those with access to the New York Times, 13 May, 2018, Travel Section, there is an outstanding article on Catania: "Charming Sensorial Chaos in Sicily's Second City."
"Though Catania doesn't attract the same attention as Palermo, its delights are just as worthy.".....

Good recommendations on lodging, sights and dining, including description and details of train ride from Rome to Catania.
Old May 23, 18, 8:16 am

Programs: 50K
If you intend on renting a car be very aware of the volume of fender benders. Driving in Palermo is an absolute jungle so be prepared for it. That being said I would recommend you enjoy all the seafood you could possibly eat. Da Carbone has the best Pani Ca' Meusa. Just try it, dont ask questions. Pane e panelle can be found everywhere but street food carts tend to serve the best.

Weather-wise in the middle of winter I would not expect warm water. Weather in Sicily varies day by day in that season most often chilly in the evening. Dont expect warm waters in the mediteranian. As for hotel accommodations I have family that lives there so wouldn't be able to comment on that regard but I would try to find something near the Teatro Massimo to be in the main shopping/touristic area of Palermo.

Search this Thread