Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Transfer time between CIA and FCO

Old Mar 10, 18, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP

How long does it take to transfer from CIA to FCO. This would be during the week around 2pm. I should be arriving in CIA at 1:50pm (with 1 checked bag) and have a flight departing FCO at 5:30pm. It seems as a cab between would only take 30-45 minutes so assuming no delays I think I should be fine, but then again this is Italy and I've experienced all types of crazy delays going through immigration or waiting for bags at FCO before. Have never flown to CIA however.

Do you guys think the 3.5 hours between flights is enough? I understand there may be like a 10% risk of missing the second flight, but I'm ok with that. I just don't want to do it if it's a 30% risk even though this is the most convenient itinerary for me.
Old Mar 11, 18, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kmzandrew View Post
Do you guys think the 3.5 hours between flights is enough? I understand there may be like a 10% risk of missing the second flight, but I'm ok with that. I just don't want to do it if it's a 30% risk even though this is the most convenient itinerary for me.
If you're ok with a 10% risk you should be fine.
Old Mar 11, 18, 8:36 pm

Your potential problem will not be Ciampino (as in Italian airport) but, rather, arriving to CIA with a charter flight (in the summer?). Most flights into and out of CIA are charters and several of those are delayed during the summer months. Thus, if your trip were now, your chances of a misconnect would be small, if the flights are in July or August, they're big. Assuming the incoming flight is on time you'd have zero chances of problems, with lots of time for a cup of coffee. But chances of a misconnect (10% vs. 30%) simply can't be calculated...
Old Mar 16, 18, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
Just as an FYI I went ahead and did it. Had no problems whatsoever. Was in a taxi at CIA by 2PM and in the lounge at FCO by 3PM with a solid 90 minutes to kill before boarding.

Search this Thread