Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

7.5 hours layover at FCO?

Old Mar 1, 18, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Any thoughts what to do on a 7.5 h layover at FCO on a Sunday afternoon/evening? (I've been visiting Rome before). Is it possible to walk to the beach/waterfront?
Old Mar 1, 18, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by geosch View Post
Any thoughts what to do on a 7.5 h layover at FCO on a Sunday afternoon/evening? (I've been visiting Rome before). Is it possible to walk to the beach/waterfront?
Possible? Yes. Advisable? No, it's not! Actually it's about 5 lm, but I don't remember whether there's a sidwalk for the first half. Also, the beach right in front of the airport is actually very, very bad, it's somewhat better, though not great, if you cross the Tevere side-arm. Still, if you want to go to the waterfront, use a taxi. Actually, what time of day are you talking about? If its around 3-4 pm, then do get to the "harbour" and watch the coming in and unloading of the fishing boats. As this is done right in front of the restaurants, you can get there a little earlier and stay after lunch for the "show".
Old Mar 1, 18, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by geosch View Post
Beach, waterfront, as KLouis says, essentially, yes, practically, no.

Depending on luggage, fast-track access, time of year (critical, but which you did not mention), time of day (which you did not mention). I once took someone to see the Sistine Chapel during an even shorter layover. The time and the season were right. I think there were only four people in the Chapel, so they let us stay as long as we wanted. She and I didn't have bags, so it was easy. Another time, depending on time of the year, day of the year, and time of day (which you do not mention), you can go to the city and have great food if you make a reservation. However, you don't say when you will arrive, and restaurants are closed from roughly 2-7PM, so you cannot be given much help without details.

Last edited by Perche; Mar 2, 18 at 12:29 am

Search this Thread