Reload this Page >

Driving from Puglia to Rome

Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent

Hi folks -

Planning a trip to Puglia this summer in mid-late July with the family (wife + 8 yr old). We're going to spend a total of 2 weeks in Italy. Our focus in on Puglia and Rome, and we expect that we'll be back in Italy soon so we don't feel like we need to see everything. We'd like to spend at least a week in Puglia to really explore the region, and at least 5 days in Rome (these are not set in stone, just our starting points) And we're thinking that we'd take a couple of days to drive from Puglia to Rome with a quick stop around Naples (to see Pompeii and ???)

We're starting the process of building our itinerary but want to check this initial plan with folks. Does the outline of the plan make sense? Spending too much time in Puglia? Is driving to Rome with stop around Naples a time sink that could be better used flying straight to Rome? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:54 pm

Other than the fact that Naples is worth much more than a quick stop, your plans sound good. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by HSaxa
Hi folks -

Planning a trip to Puglia this summer in mid-late July with the family (wife + 8 yr old). We're going to spend a total of 2 weeks in Italy. Our focus in on Puglia and Rome, and we expect that we'll be back in Italy soon so we don't feel like we need to see everything. We'd like to spend at least a week in Puglia to really explore the region, and at least 5 days in Rome (these are not set in stone, just our starting points) And we're thinking that we'd take a couple of days to drive from Puglia to Rome with a quick stop around Naples (to see Pompeii and ???)

We're starting the process of building our itinerary but want to check this initial plan with folks. Does the outline of the plan make sense? Spending too much time in Puglia? Is driving to Rome with stop around Naples a time sink that could be better used flying straight to Rome? Any other ideas?l

Thanks!
Very nice! Just remember that Puglia is a region, not a place, so you will have to find a place to settle down. The more you get settled, the better your time will be. You really can't visit Puglia in a week, but you can visit specific cities, like Lecce, Otranto, Gallipoli, the white houses of Ostuni, or the cone-shaped houses of Albrerobello (although my Pugliese friends practically tied me down and told me that Alberobello is too touristy, and they didn't let me go there, under penalty of strangulation.) I would suggest that you keep narrowing it down to specific places, because even though the scale is different, saying that you are going to Puglia is like saying that you are going to Florida; it has a lot of different places.

I hope I am not offending anyone, but I'd suggest avoiding Bari. Even in Puglia, the beaches will start getting packed in late July. Again, not to offend, just saying it's going to be like visiting Germany, because it seems like that's where they all go to the beach in July. Puglia is fantastic. The beaches are great. You will have a wonderful time, as long as you restrict yourself to a few places, and stay put, you will be fine.

Five days in Rome doesn't even get to start to knowing it, but that's how it starts for everyone, so go for it. Naples in a day, or a day and a half is cutting it pretty tight. There is too much to see. You don't want to just be able to say that you have been there, but that you have seen it. You can't see it in a day.

Last edited by Perche; Feb 27, 2018 at 10:41 am
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Resurrecting this thread as we leave tomorrow for Otranto. We will be there a week. Would love recommendations for sights, towns, beaches, anything in the area that you'd recommend. Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:43 am

On the way down, if you choose to drive straight south till Salerno and cross there to the North-east coast, remember to drive through Matera. It's not in Puglia but on the border between Puglia and Basilicata, but it's something you absolutely don't want to miss. Actually, you can "do" Matera equally well driving back on your return...

PS Otranto is nothing to write home about, in contrast Lecce, a few km north of it, is a real barock gem! Absolutely fantastic, both during the day and in the evening when most palazzi are lit-up.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Otranto won out over Lecce as having proximity to the beach appealed to the 8yr old and my wife.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Tend to disagree with fellow KLouis on Otranto; it may not be on par with many other Puglia's beauties, but definitely worth a few lines home about.
Goes without saying that a stop in Lecce, specially at night, should be on your agenda too.

Regarding beaches near Otranto you don't want to miss Torre dell'Orso e Baia dei Turchi. Just few kms apart.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:28 am

OK, fine, one can write a few words about Otranto, though not too many...
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Tend to disagree with fellow KLouis on Otranto; it may not be on par with many other Puglia's beauties, but definitely worth a few lines home about.
Goes without saying that a stop in Lecce, specially at night, should be on your agenda too.

Regarding beaches near Otranto you don't want to miss Torre dell'Orso e Baia dei Turchi. Just few kms apart.
thanks. Happy to take recommendations on towns to visit while we are on in this area. Definitely going to Lecce and Gallipoli. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.