Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

AA departure counter at FCO

Old Feb 26, 18, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

The American Airlines website for FCO states that their departure counter doesn't open until 7:30.

Our flight is scheduled to leave at 9:00 from Terminal 3. Logistically...how is it possible to check bags, go thru security and arrive at the departure gate in an hour and a half ??

I have also read that there is a shuttle type train out to the gates ??
Old Feb 26, 18, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2016 View Post
The American Airlines website for FCO states that their departure counter doesn't open until 7:30.

Our flight is scheduled to leave at 9:00 from Terminal 3. Logistically...how is it possible to check bags, go thru security and arrive at the departure gate in an hour and a half ??

I have also read that there is a shuttle type train out to the gates ??
I wouldn't worry about it at all. While your town of I presume Portland, has one of the best airports in the USA, Rome's airport is pretty unreal in its efficiency. The counter will open when it should. Just get there a little early so that you are not at the end of a line. You do not need to be at the physical departure gate an hour and a half before the flight. If you have a flight from Rome all the way to the USA, which is unlikely on AA, they will start boarding 45-60 minutes before departure. The shuttle train comes every few minutes and only takes you a few hundred yards. When one shuttle leaves, the next one is about to arrive. Don't worry.

I wish I was in Rome right now, where an extremely rare snow storm has closed down the airport, and has children enjoying having a rare snowball fight in the historic center.

Last edited by Perche; Feb 26, 18 at 2:02 pm
Old Feb 26, 18, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA - PlatPro, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Executive, NEXUS
I flew FCO-PHL in 2016 and we arrived at the airport a bit after 7 AM. We waited in line (first in "Priority") before they let us in to the departure counter area at 7:30. At that time of day there was absolutely no line for security nor for exit immigration. The whole process of checking in, checking bags, security, immigration, and the shuttle over to the terminal took <15 minutes.

Don't worry at all, but I would be there no later than 7:30 AM, maybe 7:15.
Old Feb 26, 18, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I expect you’ll need less than 20 minutes to the gate. Why would you want to be there earlier than 730?
Old Feb 26, 18, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
IWhy would you want to be there earlier than 730?
Just in case something happens, and at the worst, OP can grab last Roman pastry and coffee for breakfast airside.

Last edited by Perche; Feb 26, 18 at 2:01 pm
Old Feb 26, 18, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for easing my anxiety.....

I flew out of Heathrow last year....and needed every minute of the suggested 3 hours.....!!!

Totally loved the photos of Rome and the snow today. I am sure it's a headache for some....and fantastic for others.....

Search this Thread